Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1623 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 6 days ago

@ wimb

Reporting my findings on Win_Reduce_Trusted-20:

Still having troubles to run Office 2003 after SysWOW64 reduction, Please chech PM, I sended you a message with detailed info.

alacran

#177 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 423 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 6 days ago

syswow files before vs after office 2003, if it helps.

-+ C:\Windows\SysWOW64\FM20.DLL
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\FM20ENU.DLL
 -+ C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MFC42ENU.DLL
 -+ C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MSCOMCTL.OCX
 -+ C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MSRDO20.DLL
 -+ C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MSSTDFMT.DLL
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MSSTKPRP.DLL
 -+ C:\Windows\SysWOW64\OUTLPERF.H
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\OUTLPERF.INI
 -+ C:\Windows\SysWOW64\RDOCURS.DLL
 -+ C:\Windows\SysWOW64\SCP32.DLL
 -+ C:\Windows\SysWOW64\VBAEN32.OLB
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\VBAEND32.OLB
 -+ C:\Windows\SysWOW64\VBAME.DLL
 -+ C:\Windows\SysWOW64\VEN2232.OLB
 -+ C:\Windows\SysWOW64\VSFLEX3.OCX
 -+ C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WISPTIS.EXE

• alacran likes this

#178 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 876 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 6 days ago

Oh, and do not forget to rebuild ur vhd from the newest wim u have. It'll be all the smaller and faster - that is another function of wimboot - a regenerating one. I am not joking, u can try dism++ or lzx.bat for compacting, but nothing compares to wimb's products when it comes to saving space and time. then again, attaboy wimb!!!

#179 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1623 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 6 days ago

The best way to install Office 2003 or newer (requiring further research) is on your first full install, before any reduction applied,  latter the trick during reduction is do not remove or cut some critical files created during the Office installation.

This way it installs fine, also the Compatibility Module for verson 2007 and newer (FileFormatConverters.exe if you have it) without a single issue,

I made my own list for Office 2003 (installed Word and Excell only), and comparing it with gbrao's list, allowed me to understand why there are some differences in files names:

This was my first list:

\Windows\SysWOW64\FM20.DLL
\Windows\SysWOW64\FM20ESN.DLL
\Windows\SysWOW64\FM20ESP.DLL
\Windows\SysWOW64\MFC42ESN.DLL
\Windows\SysWOW64\MSCOMCTL.OCX
\Windows\SysWOW64\MSPRPES.DLL
\Windows\SysWOW64\MSRDO20.DLL
\Windows\SysWOW64\MSSTDFMT.DLL
\Windows\SysWOW64\MSSTKPRP.DLL
\Windows\SysWOW64\RDOCURS.DLL
\Windows\SysWOW64\SCP32.DLL
\Windows\SysWOW64\VBAEN32.OLB
\Windows\SysWOW64\VBAEND32.OLB
\Windows\SysWOW64\VBAES32.OLB
\Windows\SysWOW64\VBAME.DLL
\Windows\SysWOW64\VEN2232.OLB
\Windows\SysWOW64\VSFLEX3.OCX

I asume those diferences in files names are related to language version, then decided to try to make a list valid for all cases/langs, and after tested I can say it is working fine, also he has some files I do not have, that are included on following unified list, It seems he installed all Office programs, i think this because some file names seem related to Outlook, as OUTLPERF( I take this as Outlook Personal Folder).

This list should be valid for all cases:

\Windows\SysWOW64\FM20*.DLL
\Windows\SysWOW64\MFC42*.DLL
\Windows\SysWOW64\MSPRPES.DLL
\Windows\SysWOW64\OUTLPERF.H
\Windows\SysWOW64\OUTLPERF.INI
\Windows\SysWOW64\VBA*32.OLB
\Windows\SysWOW64\WISPTIS.EXE

NOTE: Only valid for v2003, which is a small size version very suitable for this topic. Tested and working fine.

If including all this items on keep_SysWOW64.txt, your previously installed Office 2003 wiill continue working very fine after reducing SysWOW64 folder.

alacran

• wimb likes this

#180 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3057 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 5 days ago

The best way to install Office 2003 or newer (requiring further research) is on your first full install, before any reduction applied,  latter the trick during reduction is do not remove or cut some critical files created during the Office installation.

This list should be valid for all cases:

\Windows\SysWOW64\FM20*.DLL
\Windows\SysWOW64\MFC42*.DLL
\Windows\SysWOW64\MSPRP*.DLL
\Windows\SysWOW64\OUTLPERF.H
\Windows\SysWOW64\OUTLPERF.INI
\Windows\SysWOW64\VBA*32.OLB
\Windows\SysWOW64\WISPTIS.EXE

NOTE: Only valid for v2003, which is a small size version very suitable for this topic. Tested and working fine.

If including all this items on keep_SysWOW64.txt, your previously installed Office 2003 wiill continue working very fine after reducing SysWOW64 folder.

alacran

I confirm that the approach given above is working OK  :) Thanks for solving the issue.

I have changed  MSPRPES.DLL into MSPRP*.DLL since in my case that file exist as MSPRPNL.DLL

Attached File  Win_Red_OF2003_2020-10-18_083502.jpg   133.95KB   0 downloads == Attached File  Win_Red_OF2003_2020-10-18_081930.jpg   274.44KB   0 downloads

#181 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 876 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 5 days ago

How about those of us who do not use msoffice? will the reduction update add files which come unneeded to us?

#182 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 423 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 5 days ago

How about those of us who do not use msoffice? will the reduction update add files which come unneeded to us?

If office 2003 is not installed, those files won't exist, right ?

#183 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 876 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 5 days ago

so the script which tells the reducing software to keep them will not keep them because it has not found them?

#184 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3057 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 5 days ago

yes

#185 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3057 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 5 days ago

Win_Reduce_Trusted-20 (test version) Updated for SysWO64 support of Office 2003

• alacran likes this

#186 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 876 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 5 days ago

Tx wimb, always up to date. Unfortunately, it is much easier to say what to include in the script than it is to say what to safely exclude from it. I am sure I do not need 90% of the dll's I am forced to keep until I find out. How about the exe's? do we need all of them for booting?

Btw, are u from utrecht?

#187 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3057 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 5 days ago

Tx wimb, always up to date. Unfortunately, it is much easier to say what to include in the script than it is to say what to safely exclude from it. I am sure I do not need 90% of the dll's I am forced to keep until I find out. How about the exe's? do we need all of them for booting?

Btw, are u from utrecht?

The work is indeed to find out what is the essential needed core of Windows 10x64. 

The System32 and the Users folder can be further reduced.

In Mini 8 I knew what System32 files can be removed and that might serve as start info.

I am from Eindhoven  :)

#188 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 876 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 5 days ago

Well, thanx 2 ur latest version of win_reduce, I was able to reduce everything (even the whole of winsxs) but syswow64, which works only if I readd exes and dlls. Then I would go by deduction (I need to know what not to take out). R u sure that all the exe's are needed for booting? +, Are any of them needed for something else?
As for your hometown, why don't u go to utrecht uni and say that u r a magician of pragmatism and they should guarantee u a teaching position? Gee, all the software that comes from ur hands works excellently!

#189 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1623 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 5 days ago

This are some datas from my last build with Word and Excell 2003 + "Microsoft Office Compatibility Module for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats" 38 MB (what a long name they used for it). On Cnet, Also on Major Geeks

WIM file:   Mini-10x64-2004-4K.wim  = 1.83 GB    Mini-10x64-2004-LZX.wim = 1.38 GB

VHD file:   Mini-10x64-2004-LZX.vhd = 2.3 GB     Mini-10x64-2004-LZX.vhd.lz4 = 1.73 GB    Used size = 1.75 GB just installed.

Attached some pictures Rambooting from the Mini-10x64-2004-LZX.vhd.lz4

NOTE: On the last picture running from Ram (C:) you can see the same VHD attached/mounted on drive H:, a little surprising, but there is not disks ID collision.

@ wimb

Thanks for your new version of Win_Reduce_Trusted-20, Just downloaded it, I will test it and comment back.

alacran

Attached Files

• wimb likes this

#190 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3057 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 4 days ago

This are some datas from my last build with Word and Excell 2003 + "Microsoft Office Compatibility Module for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats" 38 MB (what a long name they used for it). On Cnet, Also on Major Geeks

WIM file:   Mini-10x64-2004-4K.wim  = 1.83 GB    Mini-10x64-2004-LZX.wim = 1.38 GB

VHD file:   Mini-10x64-2004-LZX.vhd = 2.3 GB     Mini-10x64-2004-LZX.vhd.lz4 = 1.73 GB    Used size = 1.75 GB just installed.

Nice to see what minimum Used Size can be achieved, so that I know what to do ....

Including Word and Excel 2003 the Win10x64 UsedSize can be 1.75 GB  :)  whereas in my case it is 2.64 GB

#191 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1623 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 4 days ago

Well, it is getting smaller, my new version is a little smaller.

Just tested yor new version and I noticed the Contol Panel (config App) is working now, including the Screen resolution, good, well done.

My comments:

No need to keep this 2 lang folders:

• \Boot\qps-ploc
  • \Boot\qps-plocm

New build:

All programs installed and Portables on Documents folder are the same. But I was able to reduce some extra MB, edited Custom_remove_files.txt this way:

; Adjust to your needs - Only rules with leading backslash are used - Wildcards like * and ? are allowed in FileNames but Not in Folder Names
;
; 100+ MB reduced, edit USER_NAME as required and uncomment the lines.
; 
; Start of *.etl files
; 
\ProgramData\Microsoft\DiagnosticLogCSP\Collectors\*.etl
\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\wfp\*.etl
\ProgramData\USOShared\Logs\System\*.etl
\ProgramData\USOShared\Logs\User\*.etl
\Windows\Logs\SIH\*.etl
\Windows\Logs\waasmedic\*.etl
\Windows\Logs\NetSetup\*.etl
\Windows\Logs\WindowsUpdate\*.etl
\Windows\security\logs\*.etl
\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\DeliveryOptimization\Logs\*.etl
\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup\*.etl
\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\*.etl
\Windows\System32\SleepStudy\ScreenOn\*.etl
\Windows\System32\SleepStudy\*.etl
\Windows\System32\WDI\LogFiles\*.etl
;
; Start of *.log files
;
; \Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\*.log
\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\*.log
\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\*.log
; \Windows\INF\setupapi.dev.log  >>> I feel fearful removing this. 
\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\*.log
; \Windows\WindowsUpdate.log
; \Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\*.log
; \Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Search_cw5n1h2txyewy\AppData\Indexed DB\edb*.log
; \Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\CacheStorage\edb*.log
\Windows\System32\sru\*.log
\ProgramData\Microsoft\SmsRouter\MessageStore\edb.log
; \Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ie4uinit-UserConfig.log
\ProgramData\Microsoft\SmsRouter\MessageStore\edb*.log
\ProgramData\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\edbtmp.log
; \Windows\System32\MsDtc\MSDTC.LOG  >>> I feel fearful removing this.
; \Windows\INF\setupapi.setup.log  >>> I fell fearful removing this.
;
; \Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\thumbcache_*.db

On \ProgramData\Microsoft\DiagnosticLogCSP\Collectors\*.etl    files: BootPerfDiagLogger*.etl   I had 2 files 90+ MB (uncompressed) each one.

Yes, I know they may be re-created, but not all, I tested filedisk rebooting 3 or 4 times.

EDIT: From: Post No. 199

I expressed it wrongly, my fault, I will fix that post to avoid missunderstanding.

I deleted 207 MB of ETL files (49.9 MB if LZX compressed), that were all over the OS, (sorry but I didn't check size of LOG files to delete) the very same files deleted will not come back, but the OS creates and stores new info every boot sometimes in already existing (and growing) files (if any) or new files.

Current datas are:

10x64-2004-Mini.wim (LZX) is 1.36 GB     10x64-2004-Mini.vhd (LZX) is 2.3 GB    10x64-2004-Mini.vhd.lz4 is 1.47 GB

Please see attached pictures.

alacran

Attached Files

• wimb likes this

#192 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 876 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 4 days ago

dear alacrán, u told us what u were fearful of, but u have not told us what might happen if u were not. +, @wimb as well, what winreduce entry entails custom files? I don't remember seeing it in the new version.

#193 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1623 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 4 days ago

I didn't know what the hell were them, but the names, and also that those files are into inaccessible highly protected folders, made me feel that some big issues may happen if I deleted them.

Latter after posting and with a few more time I googled for them, and I was right:

setupapi.dev.log

C:\WINDOWS\INF\setupapi.dev.log  >>>   Contains information about Plug and Play devices and driver installation.

MSDTC.LOG

The DTC uses a log file to monitor and store statistics for distributed transactions. The log file is a critical part of transaction management because it stores information about unresolved transactions—information that the DTC uses to resolve transactions in the event of system failures.

Well, I can say I'm careful and also lucky.

alacran

• antonino61 likes this

#194 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 876 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 4 days ago

where do ur editions go? custom files? if they do go there, how are they managed by winreduce? (I did not see any reference to them as I had done on the previous version of winreduce).

#195 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1623 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 4 days ago

But I've also had some terrible (and stupid) mistakes.

As for example yesterday I was running Win10, and I forgot to mount the VHD, and ran Win_Reduce_Trusted selecting only reduce SysWOW64 for testing someting, and it reduced the entire SysWOW64 folder on the Win7 partition.

Of course I have a backup but I did not feel like deploying it, and I found a quick solution, I ran the PowerRun program, selected 7-zip and drag and drop it (to run it as Trusted Installer), and executed it from there, opened the WIM file with 7-zip and expanded the contents of the SysWOW64 folder in the corresponding path of the partition, and selected not overwrite what was still there, to make it faster, in a minute or less the matter was resolved.

So you have to be careful, but also when you have a problem, it's necessary to take some time to think in possible alternatives, or improvise a new method to solve it, the easier and faster way, before make a decision.

alacran

#196 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1623 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 4 days ago

You always ask the obvious or something already said, my friend.

Read the post No. 191 again, I'm not going to answer, it is easier for you to ask than read carefully, and we all have being very kind giving you the info, but if we continue doing it, you will continue asking, and you will never learn to read carefully.

Or maybe you need to go to the optometrist my friend ?????

alacran

• antonino61 likes this

#197 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 876 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 4 days ago

I probably have trouble reading a lot of info at the same time. my fault, though. Btw, u said that something might get recreated, why do u persist on not putting it on a ramdisk and junctioning it back to its original location? E.g., even softwaredistribution, both in \programdata and in \windows, gets recreated.

#198 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3057 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 3 days ago

Win_Reduce_Trusted-30 is available for testing.

Your Users Folder is recognised and taken into account.

In File_List files then USER_NAME is the required placeholder that is auto changed by the program into Your_User_Folder

Windows Photo Viewer registry can be added.

Attached File  Win_Reduce_2020-10-20_060405.jpg   60.99KB   0 downloads == Attached File  Win_Red_6_2020-10-19_212915.jpg   136.65KB   0 downloads == Attached File  Win_Red_7_2020-10-20_083515.jpg   132.76KB   0 downloads

Compact LZX UsedSize = 1.9 GB  and WIM Size =1.26GB

• alacran likes this

#199 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1623 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 3 days ago

From previous antonino61 post:

u said that something might get recreated, why do u persist on not putting it on a ramdisk and junctioning it back to its original location?

I expressed it wrongly, my fault, I will fix that post to avoid missunderstanding.

I deleted 207 MB of ETL files (49.9 MB if LZX compressed), that were all over the OS, (sorry but I didn't check size of LOG files to delete) the very same files deleted will not come back, but the OS creates and stores new info every boot sometimes in already existing (and growing) files (if any) or new files.

Once deleted the old files that were there (some since the very first install) and majority of them not used anymore, as I was able to ckeck looking to the Created, Last written and Last Accessed dates on SwiftSearch before deletion, in fact now all ETL and LOG files are new, no one was re-created as I wrongly expressed.

After several filedisk boots (3 or 4, only for testing pourposes) the new acumulated ETL files used size was about 7 or 8 MB, let's say 10 MB and something similar applies to new LOG files, we can talk of about 20 MB in total, dispersed all over the OS.

As the main idea of this very small size VHD is Rambooting from it, and once booting we are already on Ram, there is no need for an additional Ramdisk, and there is no need to care about the new created ETL + LOG files as they will disappear and will not be there on next reboot.

If for some reason we need to filedisk boot that VHD to install a program or for what ever we may need to do it, once finished we can Ramboot from the VHD and attach/mount same VHD and LZX compress the new files/folders added with WOF_Compress, and then just run only our Custom_remove_files list on WinSxS_Reduce_Trusted, to clean again the VHD, and keep it in almost a pristine state.

If we only need to add let's say a portable and its link on desktop we just do it on the Rambooted VHD, attach the same VHD and just copy the program and the link to same locations on it.

And I said keep it in almost a pristine state because if seaching on SwiftSearch for *.log* there are a lot of files under this too, I already tested deleting almost all excluding only some I considered critical but during boot the user screen is not present and I got a black screen with something like a command window where the user name was but no mouse or keyboard working, after some time the desktop was shown and all seemed normal but I decided this requires further research before adding any of this items to the Custom_remove_files list.

But don't worry I still have room for reduction, I can delete almost all my portables located on Documents folder 82 + MB (uncompressed size) as I already have all of them (LZX Compressed) on drive Y: and also available through Pstart, and install Word and Excell 2003 about 114 MB (uncompressed size) on same Y: drive since the begining, or just create a Junction Link to new location and move the folder, and LZX Compress it again.

alacran   

• antonino61 likes this

#200 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1623 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 3 days ago

Win_Reduce_Trusted-30 is available for testing.

Your Users Folder is recognised and taken into account.

In File_List files then USER_NAME is the required placeholder that is auto changed by the program into Your_User_Folder

Windows Photo Viewer registry can be added.

attachicon.gifWin_Reduce_2020-10-20_060405.jpg == attachicon.gifWin_Red_6_2020-10-19_212915.jpg

Good, Thanks for new testing version my friend, i will download and test it ASAP.

As mentioned on my previous post there are still some more *.log* files that could be removed, of course we know some new files will be created every boot, but I assume not all, and in any case they will be new and smaller, and if Rambooting they will be volatile.

I made with ServiWin v1.71 a list of all the Services running on my VHD and their respective status, that perhaps may also be usefull for you, I will send it to you on a PM, sorry but each service description is in Spanish as the Os is, but the services short names and the commands to control them are available.

alacran

• wimb likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wimlib-imagex, wimlib-clc, winsxs_reduce

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users