FloKo84

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:02 PM

Hello dear diskette collectors,

if you happen to have FireWire storage devices (i dont) please read on:

While creating the newest installment of my DOS emergency boot CD i stumbled upon 2 driver disks for FireWire 1394 storage devices, one being the among USB fans famous DAToptic package and the lesser known Iomega solution.

The ASPI standard consists of 2 config.sys devices, the hardware driver (i.e. aspi2dos.sys) and the allocator (i.e. aspicd.sys), wich to my knowledge can be mixed between vendors.

So while looking at the drivers with a text editor (im not a hacker) it seems that each company supports only its own devices, but each on a different part of the 2 drivers!

DAT.exe
  • sbp2aspi.sys <- "SUPPORT LIST" indicated properitary solution
  • nj32disk.sys <- works fine with generic usb
iomega_usb_firewire_dos_driver_boot_disk.ZIP
  • aspi1394.sys <- seems to be clean
  • guest.exe <- again, a support list Not! See last post
Even a blind man should see where im going now.
Any of you tried mixing? (probably not) Want to try now? (please do)

I know im wasting too much effort on an exotic interface, though Mac people might want to disagree.

Eagerly waiting for feedback,
Flo

PS: If this is the wrong place for so technical questions, please refer me to a better one.

#2 FloKo84

FloKo84

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:55 PM

Hi all, many thanks for your overwhelming participation, i completely expected that :confused1:

To make a quick test easier, i compiled a basic floppy image with the drivers:
firewire.rar - of course tested virus free.
Edit: This one loads the Iomega driver and the DAToptic allocator, no hacked stuff minimal risk.

Furthermore, i found a hacked version of the DAToptic drivers on computing.net, but if my theory prevails it will be the far more elegant solution.

Any input appreciated,
Flo

#3 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:43 PM

FloKo84,
unfortunately firewire is not a very much widespread interface, see my reply here, on a similar question:
http://www.911cd.net...o...c=19739&hl=

As I have no Firewire Mass Storage Devices, I guess I can be of very little help, however, I'll have a look with a hex editor to the files (not being a hacker as well) and post anything I can find, but remember the Disclaimer:
1)me Tarzan
2)you Jane

that translated means:
1) I can give some hints, ideas and maybe find a solution
2) you do the testing and report, should anything blow up, catch fire or whatever, it's your exclusive fault :confused1:

jaclaz

#4 FloKo84

FloKo84

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:54 AM

Hey there jaclaz youre everywhere arent you :confused1:

My motivation with this is quite the same as with Win9x:
I will probably never use it but if i can make it work i want to make it work :confused1:

New ideas on the driver's codes would be really great!

As for the testing, i still dont have any Firewire devices so it will never get to any potential vendor-checking.
What i do have however, is a Creative Audigy2 card with Firewire on board, somewhere in storage...

Dont have much hope with this exotic implementation of a rare interface, especially in DOS.
BUT your reply and Capt. Dan gave me hope that this will be useful to someone, so i will find and test that card today.

Oh and i honor your disclaimer, but not sure if i want to become your Jane :confused1: :confused1:

Flo

#5 FloKo84

FloKo84

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:56 PM

Hi all,

after doing a little more research i found that the Iomega package is universal, so you can trash DAToptics' Firewire, and my idea.
However for USB, ive heared DAToptic/Panasonic (the same in this case) have a broader support than any other, so for USB Iomega has to go.

Cheers,
Flo

#6 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4198 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:34 AM

I dont have any firewire stuff either. But if you put your testing results on the Web [in this case boot-land], im sure eventually somone will search for such a topic and might find your creations and results usefull.

Never just look at the needs of the present but of the future aswell. As you are doing now.

Many people will go thru youre post and read it and it might not be helpfull in there situation but will be informative. Eventually this topic might bring to this forum someone that will find it usefull and might post a reply.

It might take days, months or years. We never know.

#7 FloKo84

FloKo84

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:43 PM

Thanks for the encouragement :thumbup:

As ive said the Iomega drivers are universal, even Ghost 2003 includes them and i hope they did some testing :thumbup:
So i have no idea why people want to use hacked DAToptic drivers, universal is universal right?

I will never use them anyway, so this case is closed for me :1st:

Flo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users