#51 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 726 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 4 weeks ago

nothing compares to a properly debloated windows 10!!!

#52 JackPW15

JackPW15
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted A week ago

Or do I have to use a Windows 10 PE?

Windows 10 PE is a good choose.

#53 socialmedia25

socialmedia25
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:• Traveling, Fishing Etc.
  •  
    India

Posted A week ago

Our talented team is the perfect blend of modern technologies and the competitive skills. We do take even the hardest step to bring in the best talent in our organization. They are the certified professionals with a long term experience. Under the assistance of our team your business will touch the sky.
web development company in india

Edited by socialmedia25, A week ago.

#54 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 397 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 4 days ago

What is the difference between wofadk.sys and wof.sys?

If I want to boot Windows 8.1, modded, from a VHD and the files in the VHD are lzx compressed, do I need to install wofadk.sys ?

Windows 8.1 already has wof.sys.

#55 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1484 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 4 days ago

What is the difference between wofadk.sys and wof.sys?

If I want to boot Windows 8.1, modded, from a VHD and the files in the VHD are lzx compressed, do I need to install wofadk.sys ?

Windows 8.1 already has wof.sys.

You only need one of the two drivers for Wimboot:

If the OS already has wof.sys (included on 8.1 Update 1 and newer), that's all you need.

If the OS does not have wof.sys, then you need to install wofadk.sys, (required on 7, 8 and 8.1).

EDIT: For Compact installs see new info on Post: http://reboot.pro/to...ls/#entry216154

alacran

• gbrao likes this

#56 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 397 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 3 days ago

If the OS does not have wof.sys, then you need to install wofadk.sys, (required on 7, 8 and 8.1).

alacran

8.1 does have wof.sys.

#57 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 397 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 3 days ago

I applied a wim of a modded Win 8.1 to a VHD with lzx (and proper WimBootCompress.ini).

Tried booting the vhd from bootmgr. It did not boot.

Installed wofadk.sys to the vhd (from a PE).

Tried again and the vhd booted find. So maybe wof.sys (edit, in win 8.1) does not support lzx (?).

#58 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2966 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 3 days ago

I applied a wim of a modded Win 8.1 to a VHD with lzx (and proper WimBootCompress.ini).

Tried booting the vhd from bootmgr. It did not boot.

Installed wofadk.sys to the vhd (from a PE).

Tried again and the vhd booted find. So maybe wof.sys (edit, in win 8.1) does not support lzx (?).

Check if your modded Win8.1 contains uncompressed \Windows\System32\drivers\wof.sys

You can use WOF_Compress to check the WOF Status of wof.sys

What did you use to Capture and Apply the WIM file with LZX compression ?

wof.sys must be present uncompressed and in that case can be used in LZX compressed Windows booting from VHD.

#59 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 397 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 3 days ago

Check if your modded Win8.1 contains uncompressed \Windows\System32\drivers\wof.sys

You can use WOF_Compress to check the WOF Status of wof.sys

What did you use to Capture and Apply the WIM file with LZX compression ?

wof.sys must be present uncompressed and in that case can be used in LZX compressed Windows booting from VHD.

Yes the WimBootCompress.ini keeps all .sys uncompressed.

I captured and applied the wim using wimlib. Captured as XPRESS, applied as LZX.

Attached Files

#60 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1484 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 3 days ago

8.1 does have wof.sys.

NO, 8.1 first version does not have wof.sys, but 8.1 Update 1 has it.

We started experimenting with Wimboot on 2014, see: http://reboot.pro/to...e-boot-wimboot/

Windows 8.1 update X64 installed on a Lenovo T61. Wosk fine.

But AFAIR LZX compression was not tested at that time.

alacran

#61 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1484 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 3 days ago

But the wof.sys (on 8.1U1) was originaly designed to Wimboot, remember the Compact mode install started with Win10, so it is very possible that´s the cause of the issue, and for Compact installs wofadk.sys is then required on all systems before 10.

NOTE: I edited my previous posts about this subject and added a note with a link to this post.

alacran

#62 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1484 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 2 days ago

JFYI

I edited my post No. 29, with additional following info required on Win10 to create usefull links on PC context menu:

NOTE: Good from 7 to 10, But on 10 they need to be run as Trusted Installer, see: http://reboot.pro/to...est-privileges/

Some time ago a friend from MDL forum sended me to  test his final version of this usefull commands, they worked fantastic and they are now included in another tool he was improving.

All commands do is add links to the contex menu of PC link located on desktop, and the Explorer contex menu, but those links are very usefull to save several steps in many cases, the link names applied are localized on each system lang, also included commansd to remove the links if required. Usually they need to be run as admin.

I want to share with you this commands, see attached 7-zip.

NOTE: Good from 7 to 10, But on 10 they need to be run as Trusted Installer, see: http://reboot.pro/to...est-privileges/

alacran

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-26560-0-52716600-1595952962_thumb.p
Attached Files zip.gif  Commands.7z   3.34KB

alacran

#63 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2966 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 2 days ago

But the wof.sys (on 8.1U1) was originaly designed to Wimboot, remember the Compact mode install started with Win10, so it is very possible that´s the cause of the issue, and for Compact installs wofadk.sys is then required on all systems before 10.

You are quite right.

Compact Install of system before 10 require wofadk.sys. WinNTSetup mode Compact:NONE will install wofadk.sys driver needed for older systems.

From wimlib Apply

--compact=FORMAT

Windows-only: compress the extracted files using System Compression, when possible. This only works on either Windows 10 or later, or on an older Windows to which Microsoft’s wofadk.sys driver has been added. Several different compression formats may be used with System Compression, and one must be specified as FORMAT. The choices are: xpress4k, xpress8k, xpress16k, and lzx.

Exclusions are handled in the same way as with the --wimboot option. That is: if it exists, the [PrepopulateList] section of the file \Windows\System32\WimBootCompress.ini in the WIM image will be read, and files matching any of the patterns in this section will not be compressed. In addition, wimlib has a hardcoded list of files for which it knows, for compatibility with the Windows bootloader, to override the requested compression format.

#64 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2966 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 2 days ago

You are quite right.

Compact Install of system before 10 require wofadk.sys. WinNTSetup mode Compact:NONE will install wofadk.sys driver needed for older systems.

From wimlib Apply

Windows 8.1 was Installed by WinNTSetup using Compact:NONE mode so that wofadk.sys was installed.

VHD_WIMBOOT  was used for Capture and Apply in Compact LZX Mode in VHD and then booting of VHD is OK,  :)

Without wofadk.sys booting 8.1 Compact LZX fails as also observed by gbrao and in ageement with wimlib Apply documentation.

Attached File  W81_LZX_2020-09-16_151408.jpg   125.04KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users