#201 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15386 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 6 days ago

When I tell them about the achievements, some ask "can I do the same as well?", and I reply "yes, but u have to do a bit of reading beforehand", and they go "oh, no...".

Sure, that is normal.

Everyone wants the cake and eat it too.

In Italian - just for the record - it is in three parts, the most common is two parts:

Avere la botte piena e la moglie ubriaca -> To have the barrel full and the wife drunk

to which the most sagacious will add:

... e l'uva sulla vigna -> ... and the grapes in the vineyard.

:duff:

Wonko

• antonino61 likes this

#202 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 711 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 6 days ago

l'uva sulla vigna must be an utter Tuscan edition of the saying.

#203 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 711 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 6 days ago

i did, but I have a feeling my system is underutilized under linux. Plus, game playing is still lagging behind in linux. Let's say that I got some aesthetic ideas from the mac and some functional ideas from linux and thought of implementing as many of them as possible in windows. My vision also encompasses some sort of a concoction of the 3 major systems in the world, of course for the better. to give u a better clue, when I started studying linguistics, I was shocked to see all these Schools fighting each other instead of each of them putting their own efforts for a truth that necessarily lay somewhere out there. Each of them would try and assert their own point that was obviously partial. I even mentioned this in the final exam, saying that we would be much closer to a complete understanding of language itself if they stopped all this ridiculous fighting.

#204 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15386 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 6 days ago

l'uva sulla vigna must be an utter Tuscan edition of the saying.

I don't think it is particularly Tuscan, as it is missing (the three part one, not the two parts one) in Giusti's dictionary of proverbs, there it is recorded as "non si può avere la botte piena e la moglie briaca" (and briaca is clearly a Tuscanism).

If you want a real Tuscan proverb (not registered in Giusti's dictionary) that possibly fits even better, here you are:
Non ha il palio se non chi corre.

corresponding to this one (which is in Giusti's):
A gloria non si va senza fatica. 

Wonko

#205 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 711 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 6 days ago

could it also be i rigori li sbaglia solo chi li tira, or is it a bit off the mark? it might be a consequence. mind u, I am applying it all to the bettering of windows.

#206 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15386 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 5 days ago

could it also be i rigori li sbaglia solo chi li tira, or is it a bit off the mark?

No, that has another meaning, the classical version being "chi non fa non falla" it is about receiving criticism for having badly done something, the original idea is linked to sloth or to asking for a free meal, and tanstaafl:

https://en.wikipedia...as_a_free_lunch

Wonko 

#207 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 711 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 5 days ago

Wow!! A linguist at heart.