#227 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 755 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 3 weeks ago

further OS shrinking achieved: mail, sidebar, hyper-v, onedrive, tabletpc, parental controls, windows store, xbox, office, edge, cortana, cloudexperience, internet explorer, retaildemo, smart card, pointofservice, narrator, search, gpuejectdialog and defender are disabled on debloating the system, but they are not physically removed from the vhd. u can complete this task later. all u need to do is copy your vhd someplace else just in case something goes wrong, have takeownership active and delete all instances of the listed components from ur vhd. each time u delete one u have to get registrar reg manager to delete the corresponding registry entries and then use registry first aid to readjust, readdress and remove the links as it sees fit. it is a tedious task but u perform it only once.

#228 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 755 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 3 weeks ago

oh, before I forget, it is best to clear xbox last.

#229 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 755 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted A week ago

Well, I can confirm all of the above, and with a little more patience, u might as well get rid of other functions u do not use. don't forget to save the latest state between changes, though.

#230 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1524 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted A week ago

I commented my procedure on: http://reboot.pro/to...e-7#entry215500

It is valid for Wimboot and Compact installs

Spoiler

Also it is a good practice to remove all garbich with CCleaner and then make a full defragmentation with Defraggler before recapture.

As said, a lot of unwanted things can be removed safely from the install.wim since the begining, before the first installation using MSMG Toolkit, there is no need to do it manually after installation and using brute force.

Just read carefully and completely the instructions on included README file.

alacran

• antonino61 likes this

#231 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 755 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted A week ago

some things, actually the albeit sheer majority of them, cannot be removed in advance, though, at least with my means. so brute force is the only way when this is the case. even the junctioning of things out to a ramdisk is, in a sense, brute force. but, what else can we do? of course, what I have been able to remove your way in advance, I already have. but there still are some things which have not been removed. other things have had their functionality removed, but they are still physically present. 

#232 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 755 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted A day ago

I can confirm that the removal of the list works on other 19042 builds. this time, to make it as close as possible to the end of the install process, I made the deletions right after the completion of driver setup to have everything in order in device manager. it is actually the same as doing it later, but it  works in the end. so let us recap the list:

mail, sidebar, hyper-v, onedrive, parental, windowsstore, xbox (no registrar deletion, only files and folders, pls), office, edge, cortana, cloudexperience, internet explorer, internetexplorer, retaildemo, smartcard, smart card, pointofservice, narrator, search, xgpuejectdialog, defender, paint, snipping, update, perceptionsimulation, servicing (leave the trusted installer executable, though), defrag, backup, restore.

all these but xbox (see above) need to be erased in the registry thru registrar registry manager, and then its contents need to be deleted from the disk (files, folders and any occurrence). the links should be readjusted by registryfirstaid.

the whole process took me about 4 hours. I am sure everything could be eased by a few scripts.

#233 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 755 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 8 hours ago

another big space user is the software of a powerful videocard which comes bundled to the drivers. the videocard driver install can be shrunk any further by [Guru3D.com]-NVSlimmer (in my case it is a nvidia card, but I am positive u can find its ati parallel on guru3d.com). better is to install the drivers after the slimming down process.

after that, at least as far as nvidia is concerned (I don't know about ati, so dont try if u dont feel like, or do try if u have already backed up ur vhd), u can delete all possible content from \program files\nvidia and \...\nvidia corporation, \program files (x86)\nvidia and \programdata\nvidia and \...\nvidia corporation - dont even try to delete what u have not been able to because it is already open in taskmgr.

Still for nvidia cards (again, I dont know about ati), I found nvcleaninstall.exe (I unfortunately do not remember where), which can do the job above by simply enabling u to select what to install (I would choose only the drivers, which include the control panel that u can adjust some features from) + enable or disable some features, all this straight from the exe file from nvidia. I guess this solution is the better one.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users