186 replies to this topic

#176 dije

dije

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
    Seychelles

Posted 2 days ago

Quite right @alacran, I've imposed on this thread too much already. I don't foresee adding any further legal info anyway at this point, so no new thread (unless someone else wants to start one).

#177 dije

dije

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
    Seychelles

Posted 2 days ago

BTW, having resupplied myself with a reputable 32GB Sandisk Cruzer thumb drive, Ventoy .11.0 installed and ran perfectly first time.

#178 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1315 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 2 days ago

The new version is 1.0.12, for more info take a look to this post: http://reboot.pro/to...e-6#entry214867

alacran

#179 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15278 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 2 days ago

OK - well I guess I am guilty because last winter some temporary traffic lights by some roadworks on the only road leading into my village were permanently stuck on red. I waited 10 minutes and because it was dark and I could tell there was no oncoming traffic, so I went through the red light.

No one seemed to care even when I phoned the police and told them what I had done and asked them to send someone out to fix the lights.

Good, and so - since noone cared in that single occasion[1] - you decided to ignore all red lights from then on? :dubbio:

I once had a worker (an electrician) exceptionally good at his work.

One of the reasons why (besides him being an intelligent person) was that he learned (and had some 2 or 3 years school+apprenticeship) in Switzerland (where at the time - some 40 or 50 years ago - they were more advanced regarding safety). 

And I learned (a bit) from him, when working on electrical lines, the answer to the ultimate question about safety, life and everything is simple:

No matter if you have cut off power[2], no matter if you have already tested that there is no voltage on the cable, no matter what, always treat any cable as if it was "live".

:duff:

Wonko

[1] ever heard of https://en.wikipedia...proves_the_rule

[2] standard "best practice" is to switch off the bi-polar switch to the power line you are working on AND put a piece of adhesive tape on it AND lock the electrical cabinet AND take the key with you OR use one of these locks:

http://www.beamsrl.it/lus2394

#180 dije

dije

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
    Seychelles

Posted 2 days ago

The new version is 1.0.12, for more info take a look to this post: http://reboot.pro/to...e-6#entry214867

alacran

Yes, I've already downloaded it, but after reading the changelog AFAICT none of the changes/new features affect my install, so I haven't installed the upgrade yet. Just happy to have a working solution.

#181 themaesta22

themaesta22
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted A day ago

Change the 1st partition active and 2nd partition inactive by default (compatibility improvement).

Does that update the partitions when I only update my existing ventoy drive or does that only apply to newly made ones?

Edited by themaesta22, A day ago.

#182 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    China

Posted A day ago

Does that update the partitions when I only update my existing ventoy drive or does that only apply to newly made ones?

Both install and update will do that.

• themaesta22 likes this

#183 themaesta22

themaesta22
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted A day ago

Ah damn. I just for a bit had hoped it would only apply to newly made drives. 

I updated mine and it still won't boot in UEFI mode on my notebook (Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro).

Maybe I should try another flash drive. But the current one works perfectly on my desktop pc in uefi and legacy.

#184 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    China

Posted A day ago

Ah damn. I just for a bit had hoped it would only apply to newly made drives. 

I updated mine and it still won't boot in UEFI mode on my notebook (Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro).

Maybe I should try another flash drive. But the current one works perfectly on my desktop pc in uefi and legacy.

Some detail about the error?  Maybe something about Secure Boot?

#185 themaesta22

themaesta22
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted A day ago

There aren't really any error messages I get.

Secure Boot is disabled in uefi bios settings. I installed the ventoy drive without secure boot.

In the UEFI Bios Settings it recognized the Ventoy Drive as an UEFI Boot Device. But if I set it to boot order 1 it just gets ignored and windows boots instead.

If I manually open the "boot menu" upon starting the laptop the Ventoy drive does NOT show up. This is really strange since it appears in the uefi bios settings. I would have assumed that the boot menu and the boot section of the uefi bios settings are the same, but apparently not.

When I disable UEFI boot I can boot the drive in legacy mode no problem. But of course I'd like to boot it in UEFI mode.

I guess it could be the age of my laptop. It is a 2013 model and this might be from the legacy to uefi transition period. So it could maybe handle some things in a non-standard way. Especially ventoy that has a special partition structure. 

Or it could be that my flash drive is incompatible. Its a 128GB Verbatim USB 3.0 drive. I'll test another drive when I get the chance.

#186 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    China

Posted A day ago

There aren't really any error messages I get.

Secure Boot is disabled in uefi bios settings. I installed the ventoy drive without secure boot.

In the UEFI Bios Settings it recognized the Ventoy Drive as an UEFI Boot Device. But if I set it to boot order 1 it just gets ignored and windows boots instead.

If I manually open the "boot menu" upon starting the laptop the Ventoy drive does NOT show up. This is really strange since it appears in the uefi bios settings. I would have assumed that the boot menu and the boot section of the uefi bios settings are the same, but apparently not.

When I disable UEFI boot I can boot the drive in legacy mode no problem. But of course I'd like to boot it in UEFI mode.

I guess it could be the age of my laptop. It is a 2013 model and this might be from the legacy to uefi transition period. So it could maybe handle some things in a non-standard way. Especially ventoy that has a special partition structure. 

Or it could be that my flash drive is incompatible. Its a 128GB Verbatim USB 3.0 drive. I'll test another drive when I get the chance.

If there is something like UEFI shell in your BIOS, you can enter it first and try to load ventoy's bootx64.efi  and see what happends.

• themaesta22 likes this

#187 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1315 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted A day ago

Evidently this is a problem in your firmware, nothing related to a Ventoy malfunction, but you may try with an smaller spare USB stick, just to see it that helps, but usually 128 GB is the problematic Bios limit to boot by USB.

A work around may be to enable both booting options on your firmware (CSM + UEFI) and when booting Ventoy USB do it on Bios (CSM), there is not a problem, you can use all the info you have on the USB and also you can read/write to all info on your internal HD, all modern OSs and their WimPE have access to GPT formated disks, only issue you may have is if you want to reinstall the OS on your machine, for doing this I recommend you to boot to a WimPE from your  Ventoy USB and use WinNTSetup (previously copied to a folder on your USB and ran at least once from your everyday OS to download some files/folders from MS servers), to make OS installs on the internal HD.

But if you have to reinstall the OS I would better prefer to back up the info and format the internal HD as Bios and install on Bios mode then all will be consistent from USB booting to internal HD booting. You only need UEFI + GPT partinion/format on disks bigger than 2 GB.

alacran

• themaesta22 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users