#126 alz52879

alz52879

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted A week ago

@ steve6375

Neither WinContig nor Defraggler does the job.

Anyways, it isn't worth the hassle I've got to admit.

@ Wonko

A good read, thanks.

#127 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1315 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted A week ago

POPULAR

To avoid fragmentation, when making NTFS partitions on my Fast Speed MicroSD cards + USB 3.0 adapter, by means of PartitionGuru (Free edition) I allways make first a 150 to 250 MB NTFS partition (Wonko's old advice with maybe little change), and latter y resize the partition to desired final size, on PartitionGuru using button Analyze you can see the data alocation (including partition internal hiden datas) on the selected partition, after creating the little partition and also after resizing.

alacran

• wimb, devdevadev and alz52879 like this

#128 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15278 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted A week ago

Is that "old Wonko's advice" :w00t: :ph34r: or "Wonko's old advice"? :dubbio:

:duff:

Wonko

• devdevadev likes this

#129 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7265 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted A week ago

@ steve6375

Neither WinContig nor Defraggler does the job.

Anyways, it isn't worth the hassle I've got to admit.

You can't fit a quart into a pint pot!

• alz52879 likes this

#130 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 561 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted A week ago

Well, "that old advice by Wonko" will do the job.

#131 gita

gita
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    Greece

Posted A week ago

Could you please check Ventoy with PE Backery?

You could download this package from ct: Bausatz direkt hier herunterladen

Docu (German) here: https://www.heise.de...20-4514169.html

You need only the Windows 10, 1903, x64 (64 Bit) ISO and extract & build the package (videos at the same page)

Issue: it boots correctly but isomount doesn't work (I think its an issue with pe bakery)

#132 dakshraj

dakshraj
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Search Engine Marketing
  •  
    India

Posted A week ago

Hi,

How does this work? Please explain in details.

Regards,

Dakshraj Shaw

https://www.dakshraj.com

#133 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7265 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted A week ago

Hi,

How does this work? Please explain in details.

Regards,

Dakshraj Shaw

https://www.dakshraj.com

Why not read the previous posts by Akeo?

#134 dije

dije

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
    Seychelles

Posted A week ago

On a Lenovo ThinkPad L420, after installing the latest release (.11.0) onto a 2TB thumb drive and copying one small ISO onto the ISO partition (label "Ventoy"), I get the Grub 2.4.0 prompt. Any advice please?

#135 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7265 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted A week ago

Don't buy 2TB thumb drives- they are fake!

#136 dije

dije

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
    Seychelles

Posted A week ago

LOL! You're right of course. Funny thing is, I didn't. I ordered a 32GB one and got this 2TB one delivered.

#137 dije

dije

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
    Seychelles

Posted A week ago

OK, a bit OT, but... anyone know how to make an honest thumb drive out of a fake 2TB one?

#138 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7265 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted A week ago

Well you can't report problems if you are using faulty equipment.
See www.rmprepusb.com and look for fakeflashdrives article.

#139 dije

dije

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
    Seychelles

Posted A week ago

Thanks @steve6375

#140 awengers44

awengers44
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Turkey

Posted A week ago

hi,
I made a customization according to myself and I shared it in some forums.
Switching between default ventoy boot with grub file manager and adding efi x86 worked smoothly.
if only the default boot efix86, grub file manager is loaded first.
Works as default ventoy boot in others.
Extract the file to the fat root directory to use
Grub file manager, I set the f6 key to return from.
F4 for other languages ​​in the grub file manager interface
i don't know english, i am translating and adding sorry
Thank you for your sharing.

https://yadi.sk/d/upifZh-ciDq2zw
my video before updating

Edited by awengers44, A week ago.

#141 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1315 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 4 days ago

@ Ventoy

JFYI

Parted.Magic used to boot fine from Ventoy, but new version Parted.Magic.2020.05.20 faills after selecting first default option.

alacran

#142 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1315 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 3 days ago

JFYI

There is a new Ventoy version (1.0.12) available today, see:  Home page: http://www.ventoy.net/

Download from Releases Page: https://github.com/v...Ventoy/releases

New version improvements:

• 2020/05/30 --- 1.0.12 release
  1. Add a new feature to directly boot wim files see Notes
  2. auto installation plugin update Notes
    1. Expand the configuration, now you can specify more than one auto installation scripts for one ISO file
    2. Add a prompt for the iso with auto installation config, you can choose whether to use the auto installation script and which one to use for this time
  3. persistence plugin update Notes
    1. Expand the configuration, now you can specify more than one persistence backend image files for one ISO file
    2. Add a prompt for the iso with persistence config, you can choose whether to use the persistence image and which one to use for this time
  4. Change the 1st partition active and 2nd partition inactive by default (compatibility improvement).
  5. Move the position of the red Memdisk tip to a more prominent position
  6. Add a return parent directory item when in TreeView mode
  7. Add a VTOY_DEFAULT_SEARCH_ROOT option in global control plugin to specify the root path of the iso files.
  8. Change the style of F2 power menu
  9. Fix a bug about Ventoy2Disk.exe can't start when there is a DataRAM Ramdisk in the system.
  10. Files with size less than 32KB will be filted by default
  11. Fix a bug about wrong file size in TreeView mode with NTFS/XFS
  12. Files with space or Non Ascii charactors in name will be shown but with unsupported message when you boot it.
  13. Optimization for Ventoy2Disk.sh
  14. Optimization for arch linux boot
  15. New iso support
    • android-x86_64-9.0-r2.iso (Legacy + UEFI)
    • manjaro-xfce-20.0.1-200511-linux56.iso (Legacy + UEFI)

Source: https://www.ventoy.n...n/doc_news.html

Wimboot Plugin:

Ventoy use this plugin to boot WIM files (Legacy BIOS + UEFI).

• How to use

Download ventoy_wimboot.img file from https://github.com/v...wimiso/releases
Put the file under ventoy directory in the first partition of the USB stick, that is /ventoy/ventoy_wimboot.img and that's all.

• Features

There is no need to read the whole wim file to memory for both Legacy BIOS and UEFI. So no memory will be wasted.

etfsboot.com + bootx64.efi directly extracted from Windows ISO file

There are many configurations in bcd file in ventoy_wimboot.img. For example, digital signature, test mode ...
You can customize them if the default template doesn't match your requirement.

1. Directly boot from disk, no additional memory needed (Legacy + UEFI)
  2. Use Windows native bootloader (Legacy + UEFI)
  3. You can customize ventoy_wimboot.img as you need
  • Why not out-of-box support
This feature was not integrated by Ventoy. The main considerations are:
1. bootmgr, bcd, boot.sdi ... These files in ventoy_wimboot.img are NOT open source, they are directly extracted from Windows ISO file.
2. Easy to update ventoy_wimboot.img separately
3. Easy to customize ventoy_wimboot.img

Source: https://www.ventoy.n...in_wimboot.html

alacran

• wimb likes this

#143 Akeo

Akeo

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 342 posts
  •  
    Ireland

Posted 3 days ago

etfsboot.com + bootx64.efi directly extracted from Windows ISO file

Hate to be that guy, but this is asking for legal trouble.

Only Microsoft has the right to redistribute Windows binaries, and that includes their etfsboot.com and bootx64.efi

This is actually the reason why, even though it would be helpful, I can not embed the MS-DOS binaries in Rufus, which means that only FreeDOS is available in Windows 10 or later (because we picked these binaries from a DLL that Microsoft has since removed).

For the record, HP, which used to produce the HPFWUSB tool did try to embed MS-DOS files in their application, and from what I gather, Microsoft came onto them like a ton of brick, because they hadn't acquired a license to do so, and this forced them to remove these files from subsequent versions of their utility.

So my advice to ventoy/longpanda is: Unless you want to find yourself on the wrong side of the law, and possibly be the subject of a legal takedown notice, on account of redistributing copyrighted files, you're going to have to come up with a solution that doesn't include the provision of files that you have extracted from a Windows ISO. Be very mindful that nobody, except Microsoft, can distribute any of these files...

Considering that HP didn't manage to come to an agreement with Microsoft, for the redistribution of next to obsolete MS-DOS binaries, I'm afraid you aren't going to stand much of a chance for the redistribution of etfsboot.com and bootx64.efi, and I'd hate to see Ventoy taken off GitHub because Microsoft legal found that the project includes some of their copyrighted binaries.

#144 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7265 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 3 days ago

Don't all 3rd party downloadable winPE-based ISOs contain Microsoft files? Bob Ombs, Strelec, DLCBoot, Hirensbootcd.org, Medicat, Gandalf, etc.? Have Microsoft jumped on them?

#145 Akeo

Akeo

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 342 posts
  •  
    Ireland

Posted 3 days ago

This being said, if you still want one way produce the image legally, this could be accomplished by writing an app that fetches the proprietary MS files from an ISO that Microsoft publishes at https://www.microsof...ad/windows10ISO(since there is nothing illegal about getting the binaries you need off something that can be downloaded from Microsoft themselves), and injects them into the image.

Extracting data that is (hopefully) located at the beginning of an ISO isn't technically difficult, especially if you already know precisely the ISO you want, and shouldn't require a large download. However, Microsoft can make it a pain in the ass to gain access to these ISOs in the first place. If you want to go that route (which again is the only legal way you have to provide the proprietary MS copyrighted files) I do have a PowerShell script that can help you figure out how to gain direct access to Windows 10 ISOs at: https://github.com/pbatard/Fido.

#146 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7265 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 3 days ago

This being said, if you still want one way produce the image legally, this could be accomplished by writing an app that fetches the proprietary MS files from an ISO that Microsoft publishes at https://www.microsof...ad/windows10ISO(since there is nothing illegal about getting the binaries you need off something that can be downloaded from Microsoft themselves), and injects them into the image.

Extracting data that is (hopefully) located at the beginning of an ISO isn't technically difficult, especially if you already know precisely the ISO you want, and shouldn't require a large download. However, Microsoft can make it a pain in the ass to gain access to these ISOs in the first place. If you want to go that route (which again is the only legal way you have to provide the proprietary MS copyrighted files) I do have a PowerShell script that can help you figure out how to gain direct access to Windows 10 ISOs at: https://github.com/pbatard/Fido.

That is what Easy2Boot does to get a copy of bootmgr when making the USB drive.

#147 Akeo

Akeo

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 342 posts
  •  
    Ireland

Posted 3 days ago

Don't all 3rd party downloadable winPE-based ISOs contain Microsoft files? Bob Ombs, Strelec, DLCBoot, Hirensbootcd.org, Medicat, Gandalf, etc.? Have Microsoft jumped on them?

Microsoft probably doesn't care about stuff that flies below their radar.

But if Ventoy becomes popular, this might not hold true.

One thing I can guarantee however is that, if Microsoft wants to shut down any of these, they are legally entitled to do so. So all of the above have a large Damocles sword above their head.

Now, if they want to gamble about getting shut down by MS, it's their choice. But I am simply trying to provide advice for developers who care about very real legal considerations... Microsoft aren't exactly known for being that friendly with people who redistribute their copyrighted stuff.

#148 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 3 days ago

Hate to be that guy, but this is asking for legal trouble.

Only Microsoft has the right to redistribute Windows binaries, and that includes their etfsboot.com and bootx64.efi

This is actually the reason why, even though it would be helpful, I can not embed the MS-DOS binaries in Rufus, which means that only FreeDOS is available in Windows 10 or later (because we picked these binaries from a DLL that Microsoft has since removed).

For the record, HP, which used to produce the HPFWUSB tool did try to embed MS-DOS files in their application, and from what I gather, Microsoft came onto them like a ton of brick, because they hadn't acquired a license to do so, and this forced them to remove these files from subsequent versions of their utility.

So my advice to ventoy/longpanda is: Unless you want to find yourself on the wrong side of the law, and possibly be the subject of a legal takedown notice, on account of redistributing copyrighted files, you're going to have to come up with a solution that doesn't include the provision of files that you have extracted from a Windows ISO. Be very mindful that nobody, except Microsoft, can distribute any of these files...

Considering that HP didn't manage to come to an agreement with Microsoft, for the redistribution of next to obsolete MS-DOS binaries, I'm afraid you aren't going to stand much of a chance for the redistribution of etfsboot.com and bootx64.efi, and I'd hate to see Ventoy taken off GitHub because Microsoft legal found that the project includes some of their copyrighted binaries.

Hi Pete,

This is really a problem. 

Maybe I can only provide the shell script to generate the image file in the project. https://github.com/ventoy/wimiso

Remove the binary release, and  let users to provide bootmgr etfsboot.com bootx64.efi .... by themselves.

Or they can provide the whole Windows ISO file, and just run  xxx.sh Windows.iso or xxx.bat Windows.iso to generate the image file by themselves.

What do you think about it?

Edited by ventoy, 2 days ago.

#149 dije

dije

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
    Seychelles

Posted 2 days ago

Only Microsoft has the right to redistribute Windows binaries, 

Not saying you're wrong, I'm sure you're making an important point worth knowing, but can you be more precise? According to which jurisdiction's law? Irish (where you're posting)? EU? USA, where MS is incorporated? International? If so, which treaty/convention, and how widely adopted/ratified? If the rights MS is depending on are ones that MS asserts in its own particular EULAs, rather than more generally applicable legislation, have they actually been tested in court? If so, again, in what jurisdictions? Does MS only take action against large corporations like HP, or are there any known cases of take-down notices being sent to small players like yourself?

I'm asking because I seem to have a vague recollection -- do not rely on this, anyone, IANAL -- that there is some precedent for a court accepting that MS was in practice so lax on enforcement that they could be held to be in tacit collusion with piracy of their own product. (The reason for their laxity is said to be because they prefer you to have a pirated copy of their software to a licit copy of someone else's, so long as nobody is making money, in order to maintain their monopoly -- monopoly being a crime of which MS definitely has been convicted in US federal court).

Anyway, just to be clear, I am not advocating or recommending that anyone circulate MS binaries without MS' permission, if for no other reason than that, right or wrong, just or unjust, smart or stupid, innovative and beneficial or damaging and evil, MS has a lot of money and lawyers and politicians and editors, and the guy with more money almost always wins in a legal fight.

The prospect of MS execs arbitrarily shutting down Github projects is exactly why I have taken my code off Github and moved it to a more open and freedom-respecting service, and I urge everyone to act similarly.

There's a lot of naive lauding of MS for its current moves around open source. (Notice that they still can't bring themselves to say "free software"). As if MS would make those moves if they still had any other choice! MS fought long, hard and very, very dirty, at tremendous cost to more talented, more ethical people, and they lost. They tried every kind of malicious and underhanded scheme they could think of; they lost. We beat them, and we didn't even have to try. MS' malignity was utterly defeated by the one thing they could not control through monopolist licensing: freedom-respecting software.

Listen to us greybeards: once a scorpion, always a scorpion. Do not trust Microsoft. Ever. It only exists because of the crime of monopoly. All that money came from the denial of choice to the market, not free choice by the market. Nobody ever chose Microsoft, and everybody inside Microsoft knows it. Don't be surprised when the scorpion stings; it can't help it. It just has to, sooner or later. Try not to be the one being stung. Make and use better software that everyone is irrevocably free to use, read, change and distribute.

#150 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1315 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 2 days ago

@ Ventoy

The following files are directly from Windows ISO and they are NOT open source.

• BOOTMGR
  • bcd
  • boot.sdi
  • etfsboot.com
  • bootx64.efi

All of them can be found on an install ISO as you already told us, but also can be found on an installed OS on following locations:

C:\Windows\Boot\DVD\EFI contains: BCD, boot.sdi
C:\Windows\Boot\DVD\PCAT contains: BCD, boot.sdi, etfsboot.com
C:\Windows\Boot\PCAT contains: bootmgr

S:\bootmgr
S:\Boot\BCD
S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD
S:\Boot\boot.sdi
S:\EFI\Boot\bootx64.efi

So if the user has the install ISO or he/she has the OS installed on the PC (of course you need to tell us required version), a batch file can be used to colect all required files first and latter build the ventoy_wimboot.img directly on the user machine, and then you are on the safe side.

alacran

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users