Photo

Anyone here familiar with a program called WizFile?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 06:19 PM

It's a superb little file finding utility.  I have one small niggling problem with it.  So far the author won't answer my requests.

Does anyone know how this thing actually starts when set to 'Start with Windows'? It does not put an icon in the Startup group, Nothing gets added to the HKLM or HKCU RUN keys.  Taskmanager fails to show anything in the Startup tab. I'm baffled.  Yet it works. Click the Apps option to 'Start with Windows' and it does.  Click it OFF and it doesn't. 

The reason why I want to know is that I have to start it AFTER I mount my VeraCrypt drive, else even though the drive is selected in it's options it won't scan it, and thus can't be used to find anything on THAT drive.  I can launch it with the same batch file that brings up the VeraCrypt dialog to log in but it launches with the full APP window instead of the background.  I want to find out how it starts to see if there is any sort of keyword command like -minimized or /background that can force thi sto start minimized.  I've tried both of those already.  

Not a big issue, just looks ugly and is a nuisance, especially since the dialog sticks  on the screen in the main dialog for a few seconds after launch when - I am supposing - the drive scan starts.  

#2 maro

maro

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    New Zealand

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:30 PM

Unfortunately I don't know anything about WizFile, but you might be able to identify the way how it starts up with the help of Autoruns or WhatInStartup.

#3 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2020 - 04:04 AM

@Rootman: I use a file finder program called 'Everything', by VoidTools. It can be installed or portable. And it has the option to launch on boot. You can also search with regex or wildcards. It indexes my VeraCrypt volumes just fine.

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 April 2020 - 07:13 AM

More generally, try looking at your system with Autoruns:

https://docs.microso...nloads/autoruns

to find out which setting is made/toggled by that tool.

I would be surprised if Autoruns would not find it.

:duff:

Wonko

#5 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:43 AM

The author responded:

"WizFile (and I assume the other Wiz* utilities) is started via the Windows Task Scheduler. This is the only way to start an application that requires administrator rights automatically without popping up the UAC prompt.

To start it minimized, use the command line parameter "/minimized=1" "

Wonko: Thanks for the suggestion for autoruns

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 April 2020 - 11:57 AM

This is the only way to start an application that requires administrator rights automatically without popping up the UAC prompt.

Only for the record, that is not entirely accurate.

One can use some suitable code, the issue being that it will likely be detected by this (or that. or both) antivirus as malware and blocked.

In a nutshell MS made a couple of mistakes (actually more than a couple) with UAC and then refused to fix them properly, JFYI:

https://www.pretenti...whitelist2.html

It is a sort of Schroedinger's cat, it is at the same time possible and impossible. :w00t:

Wonko

#7 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2020 - 12:14 PM

@Rootman: i agree with wonko, it is def possible to start a program as admin without a UAC prompt.

Check out a free util called NirCMD. just drop it in the system dir (C:\Windows, or System33 if x64 Windows. Then create a custom shortcut for your program, but with NirCMD appended to target line. NirCMD does the rest when you run your program. i use this util to bypass the UAC prompt, and to get rid of the fugly UAC shield on shortcuts.

#8 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 02:03 PM

I was quoting the authors response, should have used " " 's.

Added now for clarity.

#9 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:04 AM

@Rootman: i agree with wonko, it is def possible to start a program as admin without a UAC prompt.

Check out a free util called NirCMD. just drop it in the system dir (C:\Windows, or System33 if x64 Windows. Then create a custom shortcut for your program, but with NirCMD appended to target line. NirCMD does the rest when you run your program. i use this util to bypass the UAC prompt, and to get rid of the fugly UAC shield on shortcuts.

Can you expand on this and post an example or some reference?

Nircmd has an elevate command (similar to many others) that however makes the UAC dialog pop up.

Appending Nircmd to the shortcut link equates to passing it as parameter to the main executable, and as such how it will behave depends on the executable itself. :dubbio:

Wonko

#10 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:41 PM

@Rootman: I use a file finder program called 'Everything', by VoidTools. It can be installed or portable. And it has the option to launch on boot. You can also search with regex or wildcards. It indexes my VeraCrypt volumes just fine.

I used to use Everything, I just found WizFile is a tad faster at indexing and faster at results.  BOTH index the VC volumes great, IF they are started after the VC volume is mounted.  Starting them before (at least for WizFIle, they will not index the drive because it was not there at startup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users