Photo
- - - - -

USB 3.0 Combo: UEFI_MULTI + Wimboot VHDs + agFM + E2B + AIO Boot (Optional).

mbr uefi wimboot vhds agfm e2b aio boot

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 01 March 2020 - 11:14 AM

I want to share with you the procedure to create a Combo USB 3.0 stick (I used a fast 32 GB MicroSD + a USB 3.0 adapter) with UEFI_MULTI + Wimboot VHDs + agFM + E2B, with the hope it can be of some use for some of you, info to also add AIO Boot is available on post No. 2:

It is better to make all this procedure on Win10 since from version 1703 it is capable to handle multipartitioned USB sticks.

1.- Download last version de E2B (from steve6375 site) and install it on a spare USB device, and DO NOT add any other files yet, for info and download see: http://reboot.pro/to...e-3#entry213991

2.- Make a copy of all content into your E2B NTFS partition on a folder (named E2B) on your internal HD, you may also delete grldr file since it will no longer be required.

3.- Delete all partitions on the USB you are going to use for this procedure, (format it as MBR) and create a first Primary active partition FAT-32 (I used UEFI_MULTI as label for it) of 1 GB minimum (just in case), or bigger if you also want to include AIO Boot too, (see info on following post), a second primary FAT-32 100 MB partition (labeled AGFM) and a third primary partition NTFS of the remaining size of your USB device (Its label is E2B-NTFS).

4.- Copy all content of folder named E2B to your E2B-NTFS partition.

5.- Download last version of agFM_download_files.zip (from steve6375 site) and expand it on a folder on your internal HD and latter copy all content of the folder to AGFM partition (this is to avoid fragmentation), for info and download see: http://reboot.pro/to...e-3#entry213991

6.- Copy/move grub_filemanager.mnu from AGFM partition to E2B-NTFS partition >>> _ISO\MAINMENU folder.

7.- Copy to E2B-NTFS partition >>> _ISO\WINPE all your WIM files and they will be available to boot from E2B, or optionaly (as I did to avoid E2B complain about the version of bootmgr when booting them), create on the root of E2B-NTFS a folder named WinPE and copy there your WIM files and boot them directly from Windows bootmanager.

8.- Download UEFI_MULTI (from wimb) and once expanded on a folder on your HD, run it and select E2B-NTFS volume as System Drive and UEFI_MULTI volume as Boot Drive, select the location on E2B-NTFS of your desired WIM file and follow the instructions of the program, once it finish all files and folders required to boot it will be created into UEFI_MULTI partition, repeat this procedure for all the WIM files you want to boot directly from Windows bootmanager (on Bios Legacy and UEFI).

9.- On UEFI_MULTI partition open file menu.lst and before this line: " iftitle [ls (hd0,0)/images] ISO Linux Menu - (hd0,0)/images ", add the following lines:

Suggested addition to menu.lst

Spoiler

You are free to edit according to your needs. Also attached a file with the autorun.inf and the .ico I used for this partition.

10.- Download and expand VHD_WIMBOOT (from wimb), a PDF file with instructions is included on download, and create your Wimboot VHD(s) on E2B-NTFS partition, all required editions/additions/changes to Bios legacy and UEFI BCDs (located on the UEFI_MULTI partition and also into the Wimboot VHD itself) will be created automatically, additionally the entry on menu.lst to Ramboot the VHD also will be created, but it is better to verify and modify it, if required, since on this case we are using a USB device with 3 partitions.

11.- Now you can add on E2B-NTFS partition >>> _ISO subfolders your desired Widows and Linux Isos, or Wim files, under its respective subfolder as usual.

12.- As there are some buggy versions of grub4dos 0.46a I replaced on UEFI_MULTI grldr and grldr.mbr with those from version 2019-09-09 (last good known) to avoid issues about non contiguous files.

Booting the USB device - If you reboot from your USB device and press F7, F8 or F9, etc (I have at home PCs with all the tree mentioned) in acordance with your MB manufacturer the Overwrite Boot Menu will appear, if the firmware of the PC is/has UEFI active your USB device will appear twice, the first USB UEFI option (from top to bottom of the list) should be to boot from UEFI_MULTI and the other to boot from AGFM partition. On Bios-Legacy/MBR PCs and also on UEFI PCs when CSM is active you will see an option to boot your USB device (as Bios Legacy) without the word UEFI on it.

NOTE: It is very possible with this layout some of E2B features may not work, I can't tell you wich featues don't work as I never rename the .iso extensions or use Image Partitions, or changed partitions order because I usually don't like to do it. But since the fourth (hd0,3) partition is not in use I assume Partnew can be used if required.

I'm not able to test wich E2B featues don't work, as for OS installs I use WinNTSetup because it gives me many more useful options (then there is no need to use Image Partitions), and also have several other compressed self extractable programs I run using PStart located on the root of the USB first partition, available to all WinPE WIMs and VHDs, for more info about portables, see this thread: Free portable programs executable from PE.

EDIT-1: See post No. 18 for useful links to handle multipartitioned devices on OS versions older than Win10 v1703: http://reboot.pro/to...al/#entry214092

Edit-2: See post No.19 for a link to an alternative procedure developed by wimb, wich makes possible to do all this in only two partitions, and my comments after testing it.

alacran

Attached Files

• wimb and Tokener like this

#2 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 01 March 2020 - 08:54 PM

If you also want to add AIO Boot (Optional) on your USB Combo, it is very easy, Just make your UEFI_MULTI partition bigger since the begining, I can't tell you how big it needs to be since I don't know what Linux Live distros you are going to put here, then just follow instructions on this post from wimb:

How to make USB Drive booting with various AIO Linux versions in BIOS and in UEFI Secure mode

1. Make FAT32 USB Drive (Max = 32 GB) booting with Microsoft Boot Manager Menu
    Microsoft Media Creation Tool (Architecture both 32 and 64 bits) Or Other Format Tool can be used
2. Download and Unpack AIOBoot-v0.9.8.17.7z - Don't use Extractor and Don't Overwrite existing Microsoft files
    Unpack and Copy content of folder AIOBoot-v0.9.8.17 to FAT32 USB Drive, but keep existing Microsoft Boot files
3. Use UEFI_MULTI to Add Grub2 EFI Manager of Linux Mint, which fixes AIO Boot for booting in BIOS and UEFI Secure mode
4. On USB run  AIOCreator.exe - Select Integration Linux OS and your Linux ISO linuxmint-19-cinnamon-64bit-v2.iso - preferred
5. Boot from USB after beep via F8 menu in UEFI or in BIOS mode with Grub2 menu and Select your Linux OS

http://reboot.pro/to...e-5#entry208639

After doing all as suggested, just run AIOCreator.exe from UEFI_MULTI partition and start adding your files.

alacran

#3 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 07:54 PM

I've tweaked my USB boot drives over the years, currently I have a simpler setup than yours but still gets me MBR and EFI boot off the same drive. .

First I have a 30-100GB NTFS first partition, smaller on thumb drives larger on multi TB USB HDDs.  I have Easy2Boot and all my payload files on this partition.  

Second I have a 5 GB FAT32 second partition.  I have agFM installed on this drive.  There is some issue with certain brands seeing and booting to this second fat32 partition, but all the PCs I use seem to see it fine.  

I can boot to Easy2Boot in MBR and boot to all my ISO and wim files.

I can boot and select the second partition and boot via EFI to agFM. All of my ISO files will boot under either.  I dropped all the .imgPTN files I had created because agFM worked so well and let me EFI boot to the same ISO files directly.  

For the rest of the drive I have it setup as a NTFS data partition.  For my work drives, just a plain partition, for my personal drives, a VeraCrypt encrypted partition. 

#4 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 02 March 2020 - 09:05 PM

@ Rootman

That is standard procedure suggested by steve6375.

Very nice but that approach wich by the way I already tested before making this Combo, is not capable to filedisk boot Wimboot VHDs (on Bios + UEFI + UEFI with CSM mode active) or Ramboot Wimboot VHDs (on Bios + UEFI with CSM mode active).

Windows boot manager and BCD editions are required for filedisk boot Wimboot VHDs, and also E2B always complain about Win10 bootmgr.

Additionally SVBus driver install + grub4dos edit is required for Ramboot Wimboot VHDs, and on E2B as grub4dos menues are made on the fly it is not easy to  modify them.

But this part of your post looks very intersting to me:

I dropped all the .imgPTN files I had created because agFM worked so well and let me EFI boot to the same ISO files directly.

Then if we loose the capavility to use .imgPTN files on E2B with the approach I use on this topic it is not a big deal, since as you are confirming it is not required anymore as I was thinking when I wrote this on the first post:

I'm not able to test wich E2B featues don't work, as for OS installs I use WinNTSetup because it gives me many more useful options (then there is no need to use Image Partitions)

As we all allready know, NOT ALL can be booted with a single approach then as more options we have is better.

The approach on this topic adds another option to boot (Wimboot VHDs) and of course it is the user decision to do it the way he/she needs/likes better.

alacran

#5 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 12:14 PM

Yes, I quite agree, you need to do what your needs dictate.  For years I had my drives setup as a 'do it all' boot drive with several boot tools on them and found I simply didn't need it all.  So I simplified and went with the straight approach.  It gets me all I need - especially with agFM available now. 

To be honest I got frustrated with maintaining it all and just simplified with this straight approach, and for me, it's all I need.  I even went as far as setting up all my drives the same way, even the > 2TB GPT drives which cannot boot E2B via MBR.  I have the payloads on that NTFS partition so it gets copied to the GPT drives anyway. I have my main USB thumb drive the way I want and then use SyncBack Pro to copy the MBR and EFI files to folders on my systems HDD, from there to all the other USB thumb / HDDs.  Again, it makes it simpler. I've got 6 guys I work with and this makes it dead stupid to maintain. I simply just ignore the NTFS partition of these GPT drives. In fact in those drives I labeled then via autorun.inf as 'DUMMY - WILL NOT BOOT MBR' and even put a printed label on them stating the same.  Invariably one of my guys will try to boot from it via MBR anyway. 

Just for everyone else: E2B and agFM still support .imgPTN, I just don't need them as I was booting the straight contents of the ISO anyway.

It's cool to see all the many ways people come up with to make their tools so flexible.  I enjoy reading about it.  I've picked up quite a few things too. 

#6 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 06 March 2020 - 09:52 AM

Just in case some one wants to try this layout on his/hers USB device, this are some pictures of my last build on a fast 32 GB MicroSD + USB 3.0 adapter.

1.-Drive-Partitions: Where H:, I: and J. are USB device partitions. (this time UEFI_MULTI partition is 2 GB to add aditional folders), and at the end of the device there is 1 GB unformated

2.-UEFI_MULTI-Partition: MBR or UEFI + CSM active, and UEFI secure boot bootable partition, inmune to firmware changes as it uses Windows bootmanager, where is locate the main menu.lst capable to load agFM and E2B on MBR or UEFI + CSM mode active PCs. Please open the spoiler under No. 9 on first post for my updated additions to menu.lst

3.-agFM-Partition: UEFI bootable partition, for as long as there is no change on UEFI firmware to black list it on secure boot, then when this happend it will be nessesary to disable the stupid secure boot. Wich by the way was named that way just to create a false sence of security to induce the user to use it.

4.-E2B NTFS partition: On _ISO directory there are some WinPE.iso and Linux Live.iso and some other tools,bootables by E2B and agFM, on folder WimPE there are some WimPE.wim files bootables by agFM or directly by Windows botmanager, on the root I have some fixed size 1.5 GB Wimboot VHDs diskboot bootables directly by Windows botmanager + same VHDs LZ4 compressed for faster grub4dos Rambooting,

lz4_compressor can be downloaded here: http://reboot.pro/fi...lz4-compressor/

5.-Wimboot-folder: Contain the WIM source files required for the Wimboot VHDs, and also contain .ffu images to faster rebuild any of Wimboot VHDs just in case, for more info see: http://reboot.pro/to...ate-ffu-images/and for Download: http://reboot.pro/fi...-mount-service/

Into directory CD located on the root of E2B NTFS partition I have separated folders with my own made AIO ESD files including unattend.xml, and $oem$ files for each one.   Wich can be used for installing the OS by means of WinNTSetup, you may see this topic to make your AIOs see: http://reboot.pro/to...l-oss-from-usb/

alacran

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.-Drive-Partitions.png
  • 2.-UEFI_MULTI-Partition.png
  • 3.-agFM-Partition.png
  • 4.-NTFS_partition.png
  • 5.-Wimboot-folder.png

#7 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 07 March 2020 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for all the useful info.

I would like to use a1ive's grub2 and File Manager in my Multi-Boot USB drives made with USB_FORMAT and UEFI_MULTI.

What files on what location and what menu additions are minimally needed to implement the new grub2 and File Manager ?

I see already your addition to menu.lst for grubfm.iso which is clear to me.

But in general the new grub2 downloads contain a lot of files which I don't know how to implement yet .....

#8 a1ive

a1ive

• Developer
  • 58 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 07 March 2020 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for all the useful info.

I would like to use a1ive's grub2 and File Manager in my Multi-Boot USB drives made with USB_FORMAT and UEFI_MULTI.

What files on what location and what menu additions are minimally needed to implement the new grub2 and File Manager ?

I see already your addition to menu.lst for grubfm.iso which is clear to me.

But in general the new grub2 downloads contain a lot of files which I don't know how to implement yet .....

You can download it from https://github.com/a...anager/releases

For Legacy BIOS/MBR-Booting, use grldr/menu.lst to map grubfm.iso.

For 64 bit UEFI-Booting, if you have grub2 installed on usb drive, edit grub.cfg to chainload grubfmx64.efi.

• wimb and alacran like this

#9 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 07 March 2020 - 01:01 PM

You can download it from https://github.com/a...anager/releases

For Legacy BIOS/MBR-Booting, use grldr/menu.lst to map grubfm.iso.

For 64 bit UEFI-Booting, if you have grub2 installed on usb drive, edit grub.cfg to chainload grubfmx64.efi.

Thanks for your help  :)

Download:  grubfm-en_US.7z from https://github.com/a...anager/releases - v7-beta2

I have got now your grub2 + File Manager working for booting in BIOS and in UEFI mode on my  USB made with USB_FORMAT and UEFI_MULTI

Initially UEFI Secure mode failed,  but after disabling Secure boot then UEFI mode booting is OK.  :)

Grub4dos menu.lst entry used for booting in BIOS mode

title GrubFM
find --set-root /grubfm.iso
map --mem /grubfm.iso (0xff)
map --hook
chainloader (0xff)

=

Grub2 entry in Boot\grub\grub.cfg for booting in UEFI mode

menuentry "grubfm x64 EFI BootManager" {
  chainloader /efi/boot/grubfmx64.efi
}

Added files in FAT32 root:   grubfm.iso   and   loadfm (loadfm not needed)

Added files in FAT32 EFI\Boot   grubfmx64.efi   and   grubfmia32.efi

grubfm-2020-03-07_135917.jpg == grubfm-2020-03-07_135710.jpg

• alacran likes this

#10 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 07 March 2020 - 10:49 PM

I was thinking in trying to do same thing, but you were faster, so Congratulations my friend, I'm sure this will add to UEFI_MULTI an improved capability to deal with Linux Live Isos.

I will try this approach and test it, it seems very promising to me.

Last month there was a firmware update (KB 4524244 for Win10 and KB 4502496 for Win8.1) that is the possible cause agFM not booing on UEFI + Secure Boot, but there were big troubles with this update mainly on HP PCs, and it was removed for now, following some relevant parts of the info:

Here’s the problem. KB 4524244 and KB 4502496 add the old Kaspersky Rescue Disk routine to your PC’s Secure Boot Forbidden Signature Database, so it won’t be recognized as a Microsoft-approved app. But, for reasons that aren’t at all clear, monkeying around with the UEFI Secure Boot restrictions broke other programs — most notably the boot routine for HP PCs with Ryzen processors. There may be other collateral damage.

Microsoft has yanked the patch. It won’t be pushed onto your machine. You can’t even download it from the Update Catalog.

If you installed the update and your machine won’t boot (yet another good reason to avoid installing patches right away, eh?), Microsoft has details for restoring your PC to health in the KB article (which now mentions Win10 version 1909) and on the Windows Release Information Status page. The instructions tell you how to uninstall the patch. For machines with the “Reset this PC” bug, Microsoft also recommends that you follow the uninstall with a run of Reset this PC. I have no idea why uninstalling the patch and running Reset restores machines to a working state, but apparently it does.

NOTE: Red remarks are mine.

Source: https://www.computer...kb-4524244.html

alacran

#11 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 07 March 2020 - 11:47 PM

Hope uninstalling KB 4524244 can help to make agFM bootable from UEFI + Secure Boot again.

Here is info from MS to uninstall the KB 4524244 (it is the usual way to uninstall updates, but this info may be usefull for some non advanced users):

You might encounter issues with KB4524244

You might encounter issues trying to install or after installing KB4524244.

Affected platforms:
  • Client: Windows 10, version 1909; Windows 10, version 1903; Windows 10, version 1809; Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019; Windows 10, version 1803; Windows 10, version 1709; Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2016; Windows 10, version 1607; Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2015; Windows 8.1
  • Server: Windows Server, version 1909; Windows Server, version 1903; Windows Server, version 1809; Windows Server 2019; Windows Server, version 1803; Windows Server, version 1709 ; Windows Server 2016; Windows Server 2012 R2; Windows Server 2012
Workaround: To help a sub-set of affected devices, the standalone security update (KB4524244) has been removed and will not re-offered from Windows Update, Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) or Microsoft Update Catalog. Note This does not affect any other update, including Latest Cumulative Updates (LCUs), Monthly Rollups or Security Only updates.

If this update is installed and you are experiencing issues, you can uninstall this update.
  1. Select the start button or Windows Desktop Search and type update history and select View your Update history.
  2. On the Settings/View update history dialog window, Select Uninstall Updates.
  3. On the Installed Updates dialog window, find and select KB4524244 and select the Uninstall button.
  4. Restart your device.

Next steps: We are working on an improved version of this update in coordination with our partners and will release it in a future update.

Note: Red remarks are mine.

Source: https://docs.microso...1909#392msgdesc

alacran

#12 a1ive

a1ive

• Developer
  • 58 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 08 March 2020 - 12:22 AM

Thanks for your help  :)

Download:  grubfm-en_US.7z from https://github.com/a...anager/releases - v7-beta2

I have got now your grub2 + File Manager working for booting in BIOS and in UEFI mode on my  USB made with USB_FORMAT and UEFI_MULTI

Initially UEFI Secure mode failed,  but after disabling Secure boot then UEFI mode booting is OK.  :)

Grub4dos menu.lst entry used for booting in BIOS mode

title GrubFM
find --set-root /grubfm.iso
map --mem /grubfm.iso (0xff)
map --hook
chainloader (0xff)

=

Grub2 entry in Boot\grub\grub.cfg for booting in UEFI mode

menuentry "grubfm x64 EFI BootManager" {
  chainloader /efi/boot/grubfmx64.efi
}

Added files in FAT32 root:   grubfm.iso   and   loadfm

Added files in FAT32 EFI\Boot   grubfmx64.efi   and   grubfmia32.efi

attachicon.gifgrubfm-2020-03-07_135917.jpg == attachicon.gifgrubfm-2020-03-07_135710.jpg

Actually, file "loadfm" is not necessary when booting with GRUB4DOS under BIOS. "loadfm" is a "grub.exe" with embeded menu.

• alacran likes this

#13 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 08 March 2020 - 07:36 AM

For UEFI Secure booting of Linux ISO files (Ubuntu, Knoppix Or Linux Mint) I am using

in folder EFI\Boot files bootx64.efi and grubx64.efi of Linux Mint. That works quite well but not to boot the a1ive File Manager.

The Secure Boot chain is broken when using grubfmx64.efi for the new grub2 File Manager.

I have downloaded grub2-latest.tar.gz of a1ive from github

After extract to folder grub then I have run build_grub.bat which makes grubx64.efi and grubia32.efi and core.img

But I am still missing then bootx64.efi for a1ive grub2.

I don't know how to make the UEFI Secure Boot chain working for a1ive grub2

#14 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 08 March 2020 - 08:03 AM

Just to let you know I was able to UEFI boot (with secure boot disabled) agFM from my UEFI_MULTI USB device, to make things easier for this test I started with another 32 GB MicroSD + the USB 3.0 adapter, where it had previously installed UEFI_MULTI files/folders + AIO Boot on first primary active Fat-32 partition and a second NTFS partition with only two VHDs installed on compact mode. 

So grub2 was already available, just copied grubfm.iso to FAT32 root and grubfmx64.efi + grubfmia32.efi to FAT32 EFI\Boot and edited menu.lst and Boot\grub\grub.cfg

Now agFM can be CSM/MBR loaded from grub4dos or boot on a UEFI (with secure boot disabled) environment from grub2.

Good, and it was very easy to run this test.

alacran

#15 a1ive

a1ive

• Developer
  • 58 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 08 March 2020 - 08:06 AM

For UEFI Secure booting of Linux ISO files (Ubuntu, Knoppix Or Linux Mint) I am using

in folder EFI\Boot files bootx64.efi and grubx64.efi of Linux Mint. That works quite well but not to boot the a1ive File Manager.

The Secure Boot chain is broken when using grubfmx64.efi for the new grub2 File Manager.

I have downloaded grub2-latest.tar.gz of a1ive from github

After extract to folder grub then I have run build_grub.bat which makes grubx64.efi and grubia32.efi and core.img

But I am still missing then bootx64.efi for a1ive grub2.

I don't know how to make the UEFI Secure Boot chain working for a1ive grub2

To bypass secure boot, you need Red Hat shim signed efi and modified preloader.

See https://github.com/V...SecureBoot-Diskand https://github.com/a...nager/issues/69

Edited by a1ive, 08 March 2020 - 08:07 AM.

• wimb likes this

#16 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 08 March 2020 - 01:06 PM

To bypass secure boot, you need Red Hat shim signed efi and modified preloader.

See https://github.com/V...SecureBoot-Diskand https://github.com/a...nager/issues/69

Thank you, It works quite well  :)

The Super-UEFIinSecureBoot-Disk_minimal_v3.zip Release was downloaded and Extracted twice (zip and img) with 7z

Then the folder EFI and the ENROLL_THIS_KEY_IN_MOKMANAGER.cer Certificate were copied to my USB FAT32 Boot drive, where the original EFI\Boot folder was renamed previously.

I added to EFI\BOOT the File Manager files grubfmx64.efi   and   grubfmia32.efi  and my org-bootx64.efi for Windows Boot Manager

I added to EFI\grub my grub2 Boot Menu files grub.cfg and grub_Linux.cfg

After booting in UEFI Secure mode from USB then I used the MokManager to Add ENROLL_THIS_KEY_IN_MOKMANAGER.cer to the firmware

Now I can boot in UEFI Secure mode from USB and select in grub.cfg menu the a1ive File Manager or the Linux ISO files or Windows Boot Manager (with PE WIM and VHD options)

All are booting now in UEFI Secure Mode  :)

Shim-2020-03-08_123743.jpg == Shim-2020-03-08_123840.jpg == Shim-2020-03-08_123923.jpg

• alacran likes this

#17 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 09 March 2020 - 11:51 PM

Good, also working here.

alacran

• wimb likes this

#18 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 13 March 2020 - 05:54 PM

This are some useful links related to the use of multipartitioned devices:

Add capability to reed/write on all USB stick partitions to your old already created WinPEs: http://reboot.pro/to...-sd-or-microsd/

Diskmod Script, to include diskmod in your new WinPE builds: http://reboot.pro/to...-diskmodscript/

Diskmod, to install diskmod on your running OS or VHD, on versions before Win10 v1703: http://reboot.pro/topic/22249-diskmod/

alacran

#19 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 14 March 2020 - 03:37 AM

After reading the post from wimb about USB_FORMAT-30.zip and USB_FORMAT-30-addon.zip, and follow intructions on the post: http://reboot.pro/to...l/#entry214087 

I tested that approach and this are my comments:

Wimb's approach is better than my proposed procedure on first post. I strongly recommend it, because it is faster and easier.

Now all files/folders required to boot the USB device on MBR/CSM and also on UEFI machines are located on first partition, so there is no need of a partition dedicated to locate A1ve grub2 filemanager (agFM) anymore.

Now all the user files can be booted by means of Windows bootmanager and agFM.

If the user really requires to add E2B files/folders, they can be copied to U-BOOT or U-NTFS, depending of user files size, only remember FAT-32 maximum file size is < 4 GB (almost 4 GB), just taking care to not overwrite any file, if that is the case, if selecting U-BOOT as target partition, previously rename E2B menu.lst to e2b.lst and make sure to have an entry for it on your menu.lst

The optional addition of AIO Boot seams now superfluous to me, after testing extensively agFM. Nevertheless I recognize the AIO Boot author hard work, and admit it was very useful until agFM came to take its place.

@ wimb:

Congratulations for the development of new USB_FORMAT-30 + USB_FORMAT-30-addon and Thanks, you made my life easier.

I hope this topic had been at least useful to give you the idea to include agFM in your kit of tools. If that was the case.

alacran

• wimb and devdevadev like this

#20 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 14 March 2020 - 02:37 PM

Congratulations for the development of new USB_FORMAT-30 + USB_FORMAT-30-addon and Thanks, you made my life easier.

I hope this topic had been at least useful to give you the idea to include agFM in your kit of tools. If that was the case.

Thank you for testing USB_FORMAT-30 and for your approval and kind words  :)

Your topic has indeed inspired me to create USB_FORMAT-30 and later also to Add agFM to it as addon.

The concept is working quite well now and is indeed very handy to make

USB Multi-Boot of Linux ISO + Windows 10 VHD + Win10XPE in BIOS Or UEFI Secure mode

:cheers:

• alacran likes this

#21 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 773 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 12:26 PM

@wimb

Just to mention:
With USB_FORMAT-30, the a1ive file manager (agFM UEFI x64/ia32) curiously display "Secure boot: Enabled" on F1 press
although that is not true. The latest agFM binaries (beta 4 in Github https://github.com/a...es/tag/v7-beta4) do not have this problem.

#22 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 29 March 2020 - 01:02 PM

With USB_FORMAT-30, the a1ive file manager (agFM UEFI x64/ia32) curiously display "Secure boot: Enabled" on F1 press
although that is not true. The latest agFM binaries (beta 4 in Github https://github.com/a...es/tag/v7-beta4) do not have this problem.

In my case the machine has UEFI Secure boot enabled and the F1 Display is then OK, so I was not aware of this error.

Thanks for sharing info that v7-beta4 has solved this issue with possible wrong display of Secure boot status.

#23 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 31 May 2020 - 06:54 AM

It's looking there are two approaches of using UEFI_MULTI.

http://reboot.pro/to...al/#entry214094
In agFM approach FAT32 PTN1 is boot partition.

http://reboot.pro/to...-10#entry214811
In Ventoy Approach FAT32 PTN2 is Boot Partition.

After Ventoy addition in UEFI_MULTI, What partition layout will be used so that can enjoy both agFM and Ventoy using UEFI_MULTI in same USB Drive ? Currently what partition layout you are using in your Combo USB drive ?

#24 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 31 May 2020 - 05:03 PM

Use the second you mentioned but using new UEFI_MULTI version, and just add grubfm_multiarch.iso to the root of first partition NTFS.

alacran

• devdevadev likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mbr, uefi, wimboot vhds, agfm, e2b, aio boot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users