Photo
- - - - -

Will upgrading to Windows 10 (yes, an upgrade not a clean install by formatting) fix the errors of my previous OS, Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WyattLucas

WyattLucas
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 December 2019 - 10:34 AM

So lemme explain. Lately I've been having a few errors with a few games. I've been thinking and people suggested that a reinstall of Windows will fix those errors. I, however, don't want to lose all my apps and data along with the games by doing a clean install of Windows 10 and I certainly don't want to download my games again. So, has anyone tried or know whether or not Upgrading fixes the errors of the previous OS the way a Custom/clean install would fix?

#2 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 27 December 2019 - 01:46 PM

smells like spam but i could be wrong :)

#3 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 03:44 PM

Erwan L, I wonder too.

Just in case it's legit.  I recommend downloading and installing Macrium Reflect or another free version of a good backup program. Be sure to create a recovery media.   Backup up the Windows 7 PC. and then do a Windows update.  Give it a whirl, it pretty much replaces most of the OS.  I have done a few upgrades, each has quirks that it inherited from the prior OS.  One was pretty much unusable and was so wonky it was far worse than the iIn 7 was. The rest are passable, so out of about a dozen updates all but one were workable. .  

If the WIn 10 upgrade fails, use the backup program rescue media and restore the OS back to original.  Then plan for a full clean install if you really want to do an Windows 10 update. 

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 December 2019 - 07:25 PM

For no apparent reason, cross linking to:

http://reboot.pro/to...tions/?p=213730

:duff:

Wonko