nativeEx folder structure

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:36 PM

As Nuno complained in a different post, there sometimes are troubles with deletion of temporary files inside the project directory.

Therefore I moved all such directories and files into %BaseDir%\Support.

The structure is as follows:

%BaseDir%
  • Support
    • Cache
    • nativeEx_barebone
    • LiveXP
    • <project 2>
    • <project 3>
  • Temp
    • nativeEx_barebone
    • LiveXP
    • <project 2>
    • <project 3>
  • UserData
    • nativeEx_barebone
    • LiveXP
    • <project 2>
    • <project 3>
  • Log (for WB command line use only)
  • nativeEx_barebone
  • LiveXP
  • <project 2>
  • <project 3>
You can delete the Temp and Log directory whenever you want, w/o affecting the project's build. You only loose some information.
You also may delete the Cache directory whenever you want. The result will be, that a couple of stored files have to be rebuild during next project's build. That will need some additional time.
You should delete UserData only very selective. They may contain accumulated information like CDShortcuts.ini etc.

To help in building the new structure, a new script exists: !!NewStructure.Script.
This script has to be run manually (checking for run is not sufficient).
It at least creates all the new variables.
Additionally it tries to move old contents to the new folders. The success of this operation depends on the version you have before the structure upgrade.

Peter

#2 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10557 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:38 PM

Thank you Peter!! :confused1:

But I think we shouldn't add another folder on %basedir% but rather use a temporary folder from where everything can be deleted without questions. (temp is always temp and should be disposable)

This would be a good way to start completely clean, keeping everything inside a single folder to handle as needed.

I like your proposed structure a lot and it could be adopted for nativeEx based projects but would make more sense if they were subfolders for each project inside a temp folder instead of mixing different projects, otherwise we will still need to browse at least 4 folders to completely wipe the settings for a particular project and this wouldn't make much sense for other projects in the future like mobileOS, vistaPE, ReactOS, etc..

Something like:

%BaseDir%\Temp
  • nativeEx
    • Cache
    • Temp
    • UserData
  • LiveXP
    • Cache
    • Temp
    • UserData
:confused1:

#3 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:02 PM

But I think we shouldn't add another folder on %basedir% but rather use a temporary folder from where everything can be deleted without questions. (temp is always temp and should be disposable)

I think that you did not understand all. Let me try to explain 'my' %BaseDir%

There is no folder Temp, there is only one folder 'Support'.

Reason: Like you said, 'Temp' allways can be deleted. But 'Support' contains also files, the user wants to preserve.

Therefore inside 'Support' there is
  • 'Temp' and a 'Log' which can be deleted.
  • 'Cache' which can be deleted, if the data should be rebuilt.
  • 'Userdata' which can be deleted, if the user wants to input them again.
The other question is the folder order.
Either, as I suggested:
  • Support
  • Type
  • Project
[/list]or, as you suggested
  • Temp (I strictly recommend NOT 'Temp')
  • Project
  • Type
[/list]With type = 'Cache', 'Temp', 'UserData', 'Log'.

It's your decision, you are the boss :confused1:

Peter

#4 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10557 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:13 PM

I just mentioned Temp because it's a common name and when first hearing Support people would likely identify it as the place where they get support and read help info.. :confused1:

If not as Temp then there should be a name where everyone would know that it is what they can delete to reset back to "factory" defaults.

Since we already have available this folder structure
  • %basedir%
  • Target
  • ISO
  • Projects
  • Temp
we'd only be expanding a folder that already exists and making it more refined.. :confused1:

#5 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:26 PM

Since we already have available this folder structure

• %basedir%
  • Target
  • ISO
  • Projects
  • Temp

That's wrong!
Temp is neither in the download nor in MakeDirs script!
And we also do not have a variable pointing to it, like to Target, ISO or Projects.
In older times it contained 2 temporary files for projectinfo.script which now reside in %ProjectTemp%, wherever this may be.

What do you think about 'Workbench' instead of 'Support'?

Peter

#6 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10557 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:46 PM

VistaPE is placing all files on the temp folder as "VistaPE" and I also prefer this way to store downloaded files for ReactOS and liveXP, at the moment I'm adding support for more applications on ROS and this is reason why I mentioned the Temp.. :confused1:

#7 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:55 PM

VistaPE is placing all files on the temp folder as "VistaPE" and I also prefer this way to store downloaded files for ReactOS and liveXP, at the moment I'm adding support for more applications on ROS and this is reason why I mentioned the Temp.. :confused1:

:confused1:

For nativeEx_barebone:
I'll put the deletable data into the temp folder.
The persistent nativeEx data (which appearenty do not yet exist for VistaPE and RactosOS, but do exist also for LiveXP) I'll put into 'Workbench'.

If you do not like this for LiveXP, just change %GlobalSupport% in script.project

Peter

#8 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:04 PM

Changes done!

Following Nuno's wishes, all really 'temp' data are in %BaseDir%\Temp\<project name>

Persistant data, which usually should not deleted, are in %BaseDir%\Workbench\<project name>

To get the new structure, just download and run !!NewStructure.Script from the nativeEx server.

I recommand not to run this script in nativeEx_barebone childs like nativePE or liveXP.
In these cases just merge script.project frpm nativeEx_BAREBONE PROJECT and create the necessary folders manually.

Peter

#9 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4171 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:08 PM

I would have to agree with using the Temp. Its recognized more as being temporary and deletable.
If using 'Support' then as mentioned, people will think support material included here the project or the Winbuilder program.

Workbench is like a place where you put things to build on or a use as a worktable.

If you start from scratch, does the user have to manually run NewStructure.Script?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users