Photo
- - - - -

Hi, any free LAN video conferencing app out there?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 L A M A

L A M A

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 08 April 2019 - 06:03 AM

Hi :huh:

Hi, is there any free cross-platform LAN video conferencing app out there? something that works on WinXX, MacOS, iOS, Android? (at least)?

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:56 PM

Hi :huh:
Hi, is there any free cross-platform LAN video conferencing app out there? something that works on WinXX, MacOS, iOS, Android? (at least)?

What do you mean "LAN"?
Over the internet?

:duff:
Wonko

#3 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:15 PM

If over the "LAN" i.e a local area network, I recommend to walk to the remote user : much better for your health and for the planet :)

And the beauty of it is that you can even bring your windows, android, osx, etc device with you  !

Now, if you meant over the "WAN" (or even to reuse an old acronym, over a "MAN"), any solution supporting WEBRTC should do the trick.

Where I work, WEBRTC makes it so that any client with a browser (chrome is best) supporting WEBRTC can connect to our conferencing system.

Obviously, big players like Cisco will propose such things.

But quickly browsing, it looks like you should be to find open source (and free?) solutions.

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:34 AM

If over the "LAN" i.e a local area network, I recommend to walk to the remote user : much better for your health and for the planet :)

And the beauty of it is that you can even bring your windows, android, osx, etc device with you  !

Well my HP server device is something like 60 Kg, and though it does have wheels it is not convenient to bring it around (not enough extension cords ;)).

Seriously, I tend to be - in my job - the most friendly, calm and easy-going guy you can imagine, the exceptions being when my "common sense" is tingling (which unfortunately happens very often in todays corporate world :( ) and when, after I have just told to someone (in the same room but at his/her own workstation/portable) to do something (or explained how to do something), I get a reply *like* "OK, send me an e-mail as a reminder".

You probably wouldn't want to be there (without earmuffs, that is) while I calmly and respectfully explain him/her the very basics of human interactions, but I am told that my approach is very effective and that these "lectures" are remembered for a long time ;).

I cannot even imagine what would happen :hyper: :ph34r: if someone started a videoconference call with me while being in the same building as I am.    :dubbio:

Wonko

• darren rose likes this

#5 L A M A

L A M A

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:47 PM

actually I'm not in same building. I already have my building to building networking device in play here (which I intent to use for the monitoring of security cameras) and since networking is involved, I was exploring conferencing options (while avoiding WAN and all that medusa that comes along with it).

Trying to keep this as private as possible (while exploring cross platform and open source solutions for other matters). I was looking for WebRTC, but I wasn't very confident with most of what I found So thought this was a better place (technically speaking )

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 April 2019 - 08:43 AM

Well, unless the two buildings are connected by a cabled connection that is your exclusive property and use, it is still WAN and not LAN.

In these cases, more than video conference, I would call that more "video call" or "video telephony", or even more properly, "video intercom", however.

I guess that anything based on WebRTC or xMPP is far too complex for your actual uses, still you could try setting up a Jitsi (Meet/Videobridge), it should be possible to use it "locally":

https://jitsi.org/jitsi-videobridge/

alternatively, I would have a look at linphone:

https://www.linphone.org/

Wonko

#7 KronosRameses

KronosRameses
  • Members
  • 0 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 04 January 2024 - 12:31 PM

Technology’s moved quite a bit since then! If you’re hunting for a free cross-platform LAN video conferencing app in 2024, some options have evolved.

#8 annabeltbaxter

annabeltbaxter
  • Members
  • 0 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 January 2024 - 11:36 AM

Hey! Looking for a free cross-platform LAN video conferencing app? That’s a solid quest! While I’m not sure about a specific app fitting that bill, MightyCall’s blog (https://www.mightyca...lity-assurance/) offers some excellent insights to level up your video calls. It might not be an app recommendation, but diving into quality tips can surely amp up your conferencing game across Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android platforms!

Edited by annabeltbaxter, 09 January 2024 - 11:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users