#226 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 711 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 June 2020 - 08:32 AM

What puzzles me the most is that u claim to be among those who do not understand.

#227 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 711 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 June 2020 - 09:49 AM

BTW, has anybody replicated this?

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot_20200511130009.png

#228 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15386 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 June 2020 - 10:24 AM

What puzzles me the most is that u claim to be among those who do not understand.

There is a not-so-subtle difference, I am among those very few that (plainly state, no claim involved) do not understand AND that would be interested in what you report AND that tell you so[1], hoping (in vain BTW[2]) that your next post will be understandable/repeatable.

No problem however :), one of the very good things about the world and people is that they are so different and have so many different ideas, opinions and attitudes (Il mondo è bello perché è vario).

:duff:

Wonko

[1]as opposed to those that don't care at all about your reports and to those that would care but do not have the drive to tell you about your posts being not understandable/repeatable 

[2] initially I thought that it was only a matter of communication, now, that it is like the third time I tell you and you insist on this same approach, I cannot but conclude that it is a lost cause :( 

#229 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 711 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 June 2020 - 10:53 AM

My dear Wonko, I never think anything is a lost cause. Il mondo è bello perchè è vario, I can accept it only as an abstract pseudo-philosophical point, not because it is not true, but because it gets us nowhere. I have a degree, I am a PhD, but I really find it hard to understand what is so hard for u to understand. My wording, my attitude, some details of my description, or sheer terminology? I am necessarily untechnical, because I am only a software and hardware enthusiast, definitely not an IT expert. But I do not see this as one hell of a problem, insomuch as u or anyone tell me what exactly is unclear and I will be eager to explain "what I meant by that" in the language that has the greatest number of words.

For example, it is hardly believable that u do not understand a picture that pictures the content of my winsxs folder, but u perfectly understand the claim that the literature speaks against it. is this a problem of approach? u claim it is wise to think that a goal has not been reached because the approach was wrong? An expositor of Neo-Enlightenment? if this is why u do not understand me, i am really glad u do not understand me. Science is here to explain the real world and most of the time it happens to rule out the wrong, not to validate the right (as it succeeds in it only partially). but in no way is science to prove inexistent what has happened because the procedure was wrong. Science is more than what happened; it is not against what happened on the ground that it should not have happened (scientific bureaucracy? or BuroScience?).  

As a side note, angels rush in where fools fear to tread.

#230 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2904 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted A week ago

Update VHD_WIMBOOT Version 3.0

- Extra Mode Options:  APPLY       WIM File in Normal or WimBoot Mode or Compact Mode with XPRESS4K or LZX Compression
- Extra Mode Options:  CAPTURE WIM File in Normal or WimBoot Mode with XPRESS4K or LZX Compression 
- wimlib 1.13.2   https://wimlib.net/
- in WimBoot Capture file makebt\WimBootCompress.ini is used and copied to WIM folder Windows\System32  (property of wimlib wimboot)
  and in Normal Capture  WimBootCompress-Normal.ini is used as config file but Not copied - https://wimlib.net/m...wimcapture.html

Download: VHD_WIMBOOT-30  Or from GitHub VHD_WIMBOOT-30  

Manual:  Attached File  VHD_WIMBOOT.pdf   785.98KB   23 downloads

VHD_WIMBOOT_2020-07-26_130511.jpg

• alacran likes this

#231 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1435 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted A week ago

Good work my friend, I will download and test it ASAP, and let you know my comments.

If you don't mind, I'm going to add just two comments for non advanced users:

4K capture takes a few more espace (makes a bigger WIM file). than standard LZX capture but it's very fast compared with LZX capture.

Suggested RAM required for RAMboot.

Spoiler

alacran

#232 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2904 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted A week ago

On my way to Mini Win10x64 in 25 GB VHD using WinNTSetup for Install and VHD_WIMBOOT wimlib for Capture LZX and Apply Compact LZX

Attached File  Win10_Install.pdf   1.09MB   674 downloads and Attached File  VHD_WIMBOOT.pdf   785.98KB   23 downloads

Here are the first steps taken -

Disconnect Internet and After WinNTSetup Disable Network adapter and Disable Windows Update for 35 days

M_00  Used 15.7 GB  After WinNTSetup Win10x64 1909 + Drivers and  then wimlib Capture LZX   M_00_Min10x64.wim 3.35 GB
M_01  Used   8.4 GB  After  Apply Full Normal   M_00_Min10x64.wim 3.35 GB
M_02  Used  287 MB  After  Apply WimBoot      M_00_Min10x64.wim 3.35 GB - Perfect already and good solution for Mini10x64 in WimBoot mode
M_03  Used  3.9 GB   After using compact LZX on M_01 Full Win10x64 using compact.exe /c /s /a /i /exe:lzx "P:\*"
M_04  Used  3.3 GB   After base_winsxs  of cdob and Capture LZX  M_04_Min10x64.wim 2.81 GB and Apply Compact LZX in 10 GB VHD

The Used Size of 287 MB in WimBoot mode is already OK, but the Used Size in Full mode is 8.4 GB and can be further reduced following your various  steps ....

and using info given by alacran in WIMBOOT Topic and Compression and RAMBOOT Topic and by using WinSxS_reduce given by cdob

More Info in Get-alladafluff-out of antonino61 and Compact mode installs of  alacran

Also the info on how to make Mini 7 and Mini 8 in VHD can be useful. There is still a lot of work ahead .... using instructions of alacran

Before first install, first thing is remove all (CR)Apps and other unwanted things from the original WIM file using MSMG Toolkit,  in order to reduce  your WIM file used for installs.

M_00_2020-07-24_075150.jpg == M_01_2020-07-24_080639.jpg == M_02_2020-07-24_083324.jpg == M_03_2020-07-25_074745.jpg == M_04_2020-07-26_163956.jpg

M_04 - Full Win10x64 in VHD reduced by base_winsxs and After Capture LZX  and Apply Compact LZX using VHD_WIMBOOT 3.0 - wimlib

M_04_2020-07-26_191217.jpg

#233 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1435 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted A week ago

VHD_WIMBOOT Version 3.0 is workig very fine, for additional info see: http://reboot.pro/to...e-2#entry215562

alacran

• wimb likes this

#234 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2904 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted A week ago

VHD_WIMBOOT Version 3.0 is workig very fine, for additional info see: http://reboot.pro/to...e-2#entry215562

Thanks alacran for testing and good that it is working fine .... :)

• alacran likes this

#235 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 711 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted A week ago

Dear Wimb, it is working fine here too. Only one glitch, I guess it is in the capturing stage: the following applying stage yields an uncompressed vhd, unlike the previous version, which yielded a compressed one. the consequence of this is a not-so-happy *.gz size (e.g. 54mb vs 150mb and 59mb vs 188mb).

a less important note concerns the wim, which I can further shrink to 11mb less by wimoptimize d:\wimboot\install.wim --compress=LZX:999, but this is nothing major.

#236 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2904 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted A week ago

Dear Wimb, it is working fine here too. Only one glitch, I guess it is in the capturing stage: the following applying stage yields an uncompressed vhd, unlike the previous version, which yielded a compressed one. the consequence of this is a not-so-happy *.gz size (e.g. 54mb vs 150mb and 59mb vs 188mb).

a less important note concerns the wim, which I can further shrink to 11mb less by wimoptimize d:\wimboot\install.wim --compress=LZX:999, but this is nothing major.

Thanks for testing and it is good that VHD_WIMBOOT 3.0 is working fine for you

Apply in Compact Mode did not exist in the previous version, so if you did have a compressed VHD then it is most likely that the compression was done manually.

The WimBoot 4K and WimBoot LZX Capture options are exactly coded as before.

The WimBoot and Normal Apply options are exactly coded as before.

Did you make use of any other new Mode option ?

I did some testing with wimoptimize and found no differences in my case.

I think wimoptimize is only useful when you have made changes to an existing wim file, which is never the case when using VHD_WIMBOOT.

In our case the Captured WIM file is always fresh.

#237 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 711 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted A week ago

no new mode option, I simply replicated what I did yesterday: capturing, which went fine, then further shrinking with winoptimize (a few mb gained), then applied, the only difference being the used space on the 1.5gb vhd (yesterday free space was 1.25gb, today it is 800mb). I posted and wrote sizes in the past few days. I wonder what the resason could be, if this version has been coded as before. winbootcompress.ini? or any other ini?

#238 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2904 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted A week ago

no new mode option, I simply replicated what I did yesterday: capturing, which went fine, then further shrinking with winoptimize (a few mb gained), then applied, the only difference being the used space on the 1.5gb vhd (yesterday free space was 1.25gb, today it is 800mb). I posted and wrote sizes in the past few days. I wonder what the resason could be, if this version has been coded as before. winbootcompress.ini? or any other ini?

It must be the WimBootCompress.ini which is unchanged but contains drivers,

whereas you removed for your purpose some time ago those and more lines in the [PrepopulateList] Section to get a minimum Used Size.

#239 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 711 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted A week ago

So what shall I do to right the wrong?

#240 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2904 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted A week ago

Use in VHD_WIMBOOT-30\makebt the same WimBootCompress.ini file as modified by you in VHD_WIMBOOT-29\makebt

It is just your personal preference in this case ....

#241 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 711 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted A week ago

ok, i will. in a bit...

#242 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 711 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted A week ago

Dear Wimb, as u were saying, wimbootcompress.ini was the culprit. Problem solved.

ps: I also tried it reverse (applying the just created wim): even a bit smaller it came out.

#243 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 711 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted A week ago

Wimb! Guess what! my whd.gz is 14mb now! Go tell Alacrán, hahahha. the only issue I had (which I solved anyway) was a compressed bootmgr (dism+, undo compact did the job). before doing so, vhd.vhd would boot ok as filedisk, whereas neither a 13mb vhd.gz nor vhd.vhd itself would boot as ramdisks. so, after uncompacting bootmgr, I regzipped vhd.vhd and now here I am, having booted off a 14mb vhd.gz, which is unprecedented, at least to me. if I could automate the process during the capturing or the applying stage it would be perfect, but I am just happy with the result I got. in the meantime, I am going to do the same on my other vhd. 

#244 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 711 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted A week ago

booting off my other vhd.gz (15mb, no issue so far)

#245 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1435 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted A week ago

My last year made 1.5 GB Win10x64 Wimboot VHD (without WinSxS reduction) once lz4 compressed (faster procedure than gzip) is 130 MB + 2.91 GB 10x64.wim and it is good enought to me, I don't see a real need to remove anythig else from it, and this make me be sure it is totally reliable, and portable, to reduce if furter will be necessary to sacrifice portability, and that's something I will not do.

alacran

• antonino61 likes this

#246 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 711 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted A week ago

only a small suggestion, coming from here: if I choose wordsize 8, ultra, 32mb or something, gz does it more quickly than lz4. if u tell me lz4 is quicker to boot, I believe it, but not here, probably because of different cpus. maybe it is also an old suggestion of yours to have a lot of unused space on the combo vhd (I have chosen a 1.5gb overall size), with our wimbootcompress.ini (u gave it to me, btw), used space here is only 150mb (well, most of them pointers), and that does impact on the size of the *.gz.

ps: I was thinking about your priority a few mins ago, and I thought, since it is portability, why not rely on portables? after all, this was another piece of advice I got from u guys. they are standalone, interfere little or nothing with the system, what more could one ask? or do u want portability with everything integrated in the system core? and if u do, just out of curiosity, what is the advantage?

#247 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1435 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted A week ago

Just as a general rule for settings when talking of same compressor: the faster the compression speed, the lower the compression.

When making lz4 compression some time ago using same settings on 2 different machines I noticed I was getting a few MB smaller sizes and faster builds for same VHD on the more powerful and faster CPU having it also more and faster RAM.

But all this talk has nothing to do with wimb's program.

alacran

#248 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1435 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted A week ago

I have been using portable programs since long time ago, in fact before you knew about the existence of Wimboot, see my thread: http://reboot.pro/to...utable-from-pe/

alacran

• antonino61 likes this

#249 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 711 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted A week ago

Just as a general rule for settings when talking of same compressor: the faster the compression speed, the lower the compression.

When making lz4 compression some time ago using same settings on 2 different machines I noticed I was getting a few MB smaller sizes and faster builds for same VHD on the more powerful and faster CPU having it also more and faster RAM.

your premise above has always been a general rule, but up to a point. faster data seeking time due to smaller data seeking scope must be reckoned with as well. my point alludes to ur second sentence.

#250 antonino61

antonino61

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 711 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 3 days ago

@wimb

the happiest wimbootcompress.ini here seems to be the one titled *win10X1.ini, residing in your vhd_wimboot bundle.

smallest storage impact and no issue at all.

here u go:

Attached File  WimBootCompress.7z   1.01KB   8 downloads

pls check for any possible improvement.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ramdisk, grub4dos, svbus, wimlib, windows 10, ssd, usb, wim, wimboot, vhd

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users