Jump to content











Photo
- - - - -

What's the status of the new releases?

freedos 1.3

  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FDCurious

FDCurious

    Newbie

  • Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:13 PM

Hi,

 

In the wiki, there aren't any new uploads for testing.

 

 

http://wiki.freedos....hp/Releases/1.3

 

references 

 

    http://wiki.freedos....eleases/1.3/RC1, which was scheduled for November 30th.

 

 

and it also references

 

    http://wiki.freedos....eleases/1.3/RC2, which was scheduled for December 31st.

 

 

Is there a delay, on 1.3?  I was hoping to test the new releases, and report back any problems.

 

 

Regards,

 

 



#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

    The Finder

  • Advanced user
  • 14568 posts
  • Location:The Outside of the Asylum (gate is closed)
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:32 AM

The general idea of a roadmap, at least as it is commonly used on software projects, and particularly in completely free ones is to give a (usually completely deceiving or downright false :w00t: :ph34r:) sense of the progresses made.

You have to adopt Latin time when reading them:
http://reboot.pro/to...ge-9#entry16103

 

or, if you prefer, know that in programming it usually takes 90% of the time to do 90% of the program and then another 90% of the time to do the remaining 10%.

You can expect that *some* time in the future RC1, RC2 and "final" 1.3 version will be released.  :)

 

:duff:

Wonko



#3 FDCurious

FDCurious

    Newbie

  • Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:33 AM

Or, to put it more it more concisely: Yes, there's a delay.

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

    The Finder

  • Advanced user
  • 14568 posts
  • Location:The Outside of the Asylum (gate is closed)
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 January 2019 - 01:51 PM

Or, to put it more it more concisely: Yes, there's a delay.

Well, not exactly.

 

A delay is something that is due to unforeseen events affecting the otherwise correctly and logically  determined "delivery date".

 

With software projects (generally) and with free ones (particularly) the "delivery date" is only something that the project developer(s) make public without any possible way to know if it is - even vaguely - accurate, nor with any particular reason/will to actually try and respect it.

 

The difference is that the "expected" is usually nothing more than "wishful thinking", there is nothing particularly "bad" in this approach, as long as the "intended audience" is aware of the "volatile" nature of this pseudo-scheduling

 

If you believe that the projected delivery date is in any way reliable, you may feel deluded if (when) it won't happen, if you know from the start that it is a form of "fantasy" (mind you most often in perfect good will), you are more likely to live happily without worries until (if) the thingy is actually delivered.  

 

:duff:

Wonko



#5 FDCurious

FDCurious

    Newbie

  • Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:41 PM

Semantics.  Overcomplicating the subject.

 

There's a delay.  Thank you.



#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

    The Finder

  • Advanced user
  • 14568 posts
  • Location:The Outside of the Asylum (gate is closed)
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:00 PM

Semantics.  Overcomplicating the subject.

 

There's a delay.  Thank you.

You are welcome :)

 

And the word for today is:

https://www.thefreed...ry.com/subtlety

 

:duff:

Wonko



#7 FDCurious

FDCurious

    Newbie

  • Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:40 PM

Sure thing.

 

And two other words for today are Trivialize and Downplay.

 

As in the sentences “John for whatever reason decided to trivialize or downplay Bob’s disappointment that Bob didn’t receive an update on one of his  hobbies, when he was expecting it.  Rather than simply say, ‘Yeah sorry chief, but this is fairly common.  Hang on, it will be out soon’, John instead chose to downplay Bob’s pov altogether.”



#8 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

    The Finder

  • Advanced user
  • 14568 posts
  • Location:The Outside of the Asylum (gate is closed)
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:35 PM

Rather than simply say, ‘Yeah sorry chief, but this is fairly common.  Hang on, it will be out soon’,”

 

Let me rephrase:

 

 

The general idea of a roadmap, at least as it is commonly used on software projects, and particularly in completely free ones is to give a (usually completely deceiving or downright false :w00t: :ph34r:) sense of the progresses made.

as:

"Yeah sorry chief, but this is fairly common."

 

and:

 

You can expect that *some* time in the future RC1, RC2 and "final" 1.3 version will be released.  :)

as:

"Hang on, it will be out soon."

 

:duff:

Wonko






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users