#26 antonino61

antonino61

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 439 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted A week ago

My dear friend, as usual, you didn't understand it at the outset - the non combo is if u gimagex a wim into a standalone vhd. This one takes longer to load than the combo vhd which is attached to the wim.

#27 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15046 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted A week ago

My dear friend, as usual, you didn't understand it at the outset - the non combo is if u gimagex a wim into a standalone vhd. This one takes longer to load than the combo vhd which is attached to the wim.

Unfortunately, it is not only alacran not understanding your previous post, I also completely fail to understand it :w00t: :ph34r:, and your quoted explanation of it (BTW this fact actually means nothing, as your posts might be crystal clear and both myself and alacran may be coincidentally in one of those days where we fail at English, or at reading or both, still now you have two data points) 

Alacran could IMHO tone down a bit his (gratuitious) remarks, however. :whistling:   

Maybe - just maybe - you could (only when you have time and if you want) make a post describing with some more details each specific build and the respective loading times/sizes/performance/etc.

The fact that you often use "u" instead of "you" makes me think that you are often replying from a mobile, or in a hurry, or both, if you could take some time to write more complete posts it would surely help understanding their contents.  

Sorry, gotta go, only for the record I have a Windows 7 build, that one, no not that, the other one, that one, that is faster in loading but slower on transfer on one machine but not on another, and another one, no not the other one another one that is faster in transfer but slower in loading on the laptop (the old one).

:duff:

Wonko

#28 antonino61

antonino61

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 439 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted A week ago

Si prefieres, te escribo EN castellano. Unos mensajes antes, no se si lo notaste, iba a preguntar si les interesaba un test de vhd integral, o Sea no vinculado a wim ninguno. Claro esta que no sera de 1gb sino de 5gb, porque el wim se le aplicaria al vhd. Este, comparando con El vhd+wim de antes - combo - se precarga mas lento, o menos rapido, Como prefieras. Precargar solo 1gb es mas deprisa que precargar todos Los 5gb.

#29 antonino61

antonino61

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 439 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted A week ago

My dear friends of good intellect and understanding, the core of the thing here is to tell u that it is quicker to preload a vhd - 1gb - with g4d .45 than it is to preload its lz4 - 187mb now here - with g4d .46. if u do not believe it, test it urselves, on this machine, on that machine and/or the other machine.

#30 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1106 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted A week ago

This are my tests on and old machine just to compare the benefits on this old hardware: it is an i3 3225 3300 Mhz, 4GB Ram at 1333 Mhz, loading from internal HDD Sata II, AHCI is active on MB (the MB is not Sata III capable, so any internal disk will run at Sata II), grub4dos-0.4.6a-2019-08-01 was used for this tests

This are only the times required to load to Ram the VHD (not total times to boot to the desktop)

Loading the VHD 1.5 GB uncompressed using the 0.4.5c patched version 18.03 seconds

Loading the VHD 1.5 GB uncompressed Using the 0.4.6a version 18.11 seconds

Loading the VHD 128 MB lz4 compressed Using the 0.4.6a version 4.35 seconds

Of course don't trust very much on the decimals since my finger is not so fast to stop the chronometer.

This do not shows a big improvement for loading to Ram an uncompresd 1.5 GB VHD (diference is marginal)

The time to load to Ram same VHD but lz4 compressed to a size of only 128 MB shows a big improvement, taking no more than 1/4 of time, so the improvement is clearly noticed when using a lz4 compressed VHD, even on old systems.

I need to make clear this results are valid only for a hardward similar to the one used in the test. Of course with an internal SSD, faster Ram and CPU it is very possible this result will be different.

But it also demostrate the hight benefit of using a lz4 compressed VHD on a hadrware similar to the one used in the test or on newer hardware.

The meanning of previous sentence is loading small size file to Ram is faster than loading a so much bigger size file, even if smaller size file needs to be decompressed by the CPU.

That is the reazon I asked the author to modiffy/apply this patch to 0.4.6a to get the benefit of the patch on faster systems + the benefit of the lz4 compressed files, because 0.4.5c is not capable to handle lz4 compessed files.

I know there is a limit for the speed gain depending on speed of the SSD or HDD, Ram speed & CPU decompression speed and the slower of them will be the teorethical limit but it is possible we still may get some improvement before reaching that limit, specially on new and very fast systems.

• antonino61 likes this

#31 antonino61

antonino61

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 439 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted A week ago

right u r, and what u say is even more valid in the case of nvme, where the difference between compressed and uncompressed is almost unnoticeable up to 1.5gb - larger sizes do evince a difference so noticeable as u have pointed out on my architecture too - I noticed it by loading a 5gb standalone vhd (no combo, the one I was talking about this morning). of course it would be best to engineer the .46 version of g4d to handle nvme (and ahci, for that matter). As for the rest, results on my machine and on ur machine are obviously not comparable. I hope the line of reasoning is clear to Master Wonko as well.

BTW, I see 4sex vs 18sex between lz4 and uncompressed - fine. not do discourage u, but..., do u not think the gain in preloading might be anulled by a possible lag in the second stage, the loading one proper? If I were u I would check the the loading times as well in both cases, because, it is true that there is nothing u can do later, as it is beyond our control, but, who knows if the prior gain is offset by a later delay owing to decompression by a weaker processor than mine? Just a doubt as much as anything else.

nino

#32 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1106 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted A week ago

Just to have a better idea of my previous tests, I decided it was necessary to also try with a 0.4.5c unpatched, then downloaded the very last version available grub4dos-0.4.5c-2016-01-18

The time to load the 1.5 GB uncompressed VHD to Ram was 18.10 seconds, I take it as same time taken by 0.4.6a (18.11 sec.).

This means the patched version only have a very marginal effect on the mentioned hardware or maybe none since my finger speed is not so fast to stop the chronometer and acurately measure decimals of seconds.

• antonino61 likes this

#33 antonino61

antonino61

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 439 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted A week ago

couldn't agree with u more, but pls, see if the obviously faster compressed preloading will factor in to our disadvantage in the loading stage and finally amount to an overall delay, even if there is nothing u can do in this second stage. this is another reason why I usually include the final overall boottime, not only the preloading stage.

#34 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1106 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted A week ago

@ antonino61

Once the VHD is loaded to Ram it is uncompressed always. The decompression is done by grub4dos code + CPU before each chunk of the file is loaded to Ram

So the compression only affects loading to Ram time, and DOES NOT affects anything else.

#35 antonino61

antonino61

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 439 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted A week ago

Oh, I see. Sorry, I did not know it. Doubt cleared. thanx.

#36 dickfitzwell

dickfitzwell

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 4 days ago

motherboard is gigabyte H97N-WIFI (rev. 1.1)

downloaded AHCI_NVME_V1.4_20181027.rar

there is only one ssd drive in the rig with 3 primary partitions

file.iso exists on (hd0,1) and is windows install iso that maps without error if not using ahci.  attempting to map file.iso file by entering the following results in a lock up of my rig requiring the reset button.

GRUB4D0S 0.4.5c 2018-10-27, Mem: 630K/2711M/12782M. End: 3617D1

[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB
lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
completions of a device’filename. ESC at any time exits. ]

grub> ahci --showall
Error: No BIOS drive selected!
grub> ahci --set-drive=0x80 --set-controller=0 --set-port=5 --showselected
0) AHCI Controller VendorID#8086, DeviceID#8C82, Base Address#F7E35000
   Bus#0, Device#2, Function#1F: 1 Ports, 1 Devices
   Port-5: Hard Disk, Patriot Pyro SSD 560ABBF0 PT140520AS137074
grub> map --top --mem (hd0,1)/f[tab]

Edited by dickfitzwell, 4 days ago.

#37 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15046 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 4 days ago

It could be some issue with the [TAB] expansion/autocomplete.

Try:

root (hd0,1)

ls

Wonko

#38 dickfitzwell

dickfitzwell

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 4 days ago

It could be some issue with the [TAB] expansion/autocomplete.

Try:

root (hd0,1)

ls

Wonko

same result after "ls," system hang only resolved by reset button.

I downloaded AHCI_V1.3_20140601.rar and no system hang, but speed is not perceptibly different from unpatched version. wah wah

Edited by dickfitzwell, 4 days ago.

#39 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15046 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 4 days ago

So it is - generally - access to the filesystem file listing creating the issue.

And if you just do that with the "right" filename?

You can try another thing.

BEFORE using the ahci command, do a blocklist of the .iso.

Example:

blocklist (hd0,1)/mynice.iso

217+23568746

then:

ahci ...

map --top --mem (hd0,1)/217+23568746 ...

of course that (if it works) can only work for contiguous files.

Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users