Photo
- - - - -

Wimlib-clc

wimlib archiver compression backup deploying wimlib-imagex wimlib-imagex gui system backup

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Tokener

Tokener

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 378 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 08:23 PM

index.php?app=downloads&module=display&s

File Name: Wimlib-clc
File Submitter: ReTokener
File Submitted: 15 Oct 2018
File Category: Tools

Some may ask, what is wimlib-imagex?

To put it in a very general way, wimlib-imagex is an archiver.

just to name a few features of wimlib-imagex:

wimlib-imagex
- is able to backup and restore the entire system partition.
- achieves the highest compression rates among its competitors.
- Can edit the WIM and ESD archives used by microsoft.

The ability to create incremental / differential backups qualifies it as a universal archiving program.

It does, however, require the input of the commands via the keyboard.

To make the versatility of this tool available to as many users as possible
there is now a multilingual graphical user interface for wimlib-imagex.
The interface takes over the formulation of the command lines.

Wimlib-clc - the command-line-compiler
(a development of wimlib_clc)

now is the laborious and meticulous typing in of the command lines past.
By using the mouse, (almost) all possibilities of wimlib-imagex can be exploited.

the use of a tool in your own language should simplify the handling and help to avoid mistakes.
therefore, by loading a language file, the surface of Wimlib-clc can now be personalized.
Buttons and explanations are displayed in the local language.

There are language files in the following languages:
- english GB
- english US
- french FR (inofficial)   Attached File  wimlib-clc_fr-FR_210703.7z   17.19KB   805 downloads
- spanish MX
- spanish ES

- german DE

Everyone is invited to translate the language file for his compatriots and thus make wimlib-imagex accessible for a new language room.

just because wimlib-imagex has very special abilities, it is suitable to take on a wide range of tasks.

I hope that you succeed with Wimlib-clc to successfully realize all desired projects.

P.S.
the enclosed file clc_readme _*-*.txt contains instructions for the use of Wimlib-clc in the respective national language.

Many Thanks
to Eric Biggers (synchronicity) for the development of wimlib-imagex.
to the operators of Reboot.pro for the provision of this platform.
especially to alacran for his help with the realization of Wimlib-clc.

Regards T.

Click here to download this file

• wimb and alacran like this

#2 Tokener

Tokener

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 378 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 09:59 AM

Hello friends

there is a file repository for wimlib-clc related files.

(Rename date coded files for auto-recognition. see instructions)

Downloads:        

Password: clc

reboot.pro/files/file/588-wimlib-clc/ (Removed)
mediafire.com/folder/a39a3kebewmlu/Wimlib-clc (Removed)

Upload translations here:
mediafire.com/filedrop/filedrop_hosted.php?drop=7068e57385e9c4c85920e2c63e18d02c726253cf0c40ee55 (Removed)

Regards   T.

Edit: Click here to download this file

#3 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:28 AM

now i think i am getting a better grasp of what the software actually can do : it can backup a windows installation at any given point in time. in so doing, it might as well compact (well, compress) the content to unprecedented compression rates. All this, of course, if I am not mistaken. BTWI, the smaller the slower, or does the compression have no impact on performance? BTWII, can it do the job even in the case of system directories scattered on more than 1 disk, or better still, in the case of some system directories being placed on disks other than c:?

Edited by antonino61, 17 October 2018 - 11:31 AM.

#4 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 17 October 2018 - 01:06 PM

Just a very short guide of use for beginers:

To use this GUI you need to extract it to a folder (I suggest use wimlib-clc as folder name), preferable to the root of a drive (C:\, D:\, etc.) and download wimlib-imagex x86 or x64 as required (I recommend download v1.13 Beta 5) , links to wimlib-imagex project and download page available on the program Menu under Info, just dowload your required version and make a subfolder x86 or x64 (or both if you want) and put into it libwim-15.dll and wimlib-imagex.exe files respectively, the program will find and use the correct set of files the first time you run it. 

If you ran before a previous version located on other place, the program could be still pointing to previous location, then on this case on Menu open File >>> Select Program File, and select it on its actual location.

For more info on wimlib-clc use you may reed Readme file.

alacran

#5 Tokener

Tokener

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 378 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 01:22 PM

@antonino61

the smaller the slower

this is true, compression stresses the CPU. But you can determine the number of CPU-threads to be used.

can it do the job even in the case of system directories scattered on more than 1 disk

If I get you right: It can do the job, but not in one step.

It captures only from one source each time.(If Drive-Backup)

It can capture from different directories if in "source-list-mode".

Regards   T.

#6 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2018 - 09:04 PM

If I decide to back up the system partition (C drive), can I explicitly exclude/include certain directories/files? That, for me, is a critical feature of any backup/restore software.

#7 Tokener

Tokener

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 378 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 09:29 PM

Hi AnonVendetta

Yes you can.

Use [Extras]-[Install Files to TEMP Dir]-[Install wimscript.ini] -> this will be the config file to exclude certain dirs.

Take a look and save as you like. Then select the saved file on [CAPTURE] tab [--config=] to set it as capture option.

Tick the checkbox of course.

Hope this is the answer you expected.

Regards   T.

#8 vigipirate

vigipirate

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:58 AM

translation fr_FR please

#9 vigipirate

vigipirate

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 15 December 2018 - 04:57 PM

thank you

Edited by vigipirate, 15 December 2018 - 05:33 PM.

#10 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 23 February 2019 - 04:52 AM

@ ReTokener

Hello my good friend, hope you are fine.  it's been some time since we talk last time, there is an issue on wimlib-clc when capturing Win10 installs as wimboot mode, you can see wimb's post about this here.

I can confirm the issue when making Win10 1809 wimboot captures (x86 and x64).

alacran

#11 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:43 PM

@ ReTokener

From your post, after reading carefully Eric Biggers (Syncronicity) post :

Any idea what the purpose of this section is? I don't actually use wimboot compression or compact deployment on my server images, but I do usually capture with the --wimboot flag because its an easy way to exclude logs and temp files etc from my images. It doesn't seem to cause any issues that I can tell, but I am curious to know what this pinning functionality is.

I think then we could conclude this:

1.- It seems to me the warning can be safely ignored for now, untill Eric Biggers (Syncronicity) gives us more info about the issue.

2.- And (optionally) if we don't want to see the warning anymore we can make our own WimbootCompress.ini not including that section and keep a copy of it in wimlib-clc folder and using it as our config file.

Anyway before making any final conclusions and as I allready have 2 VHDs of 10, I'm going to make some wimboot captures of 10 x86 and x64 with original WimbootCompress.ini and the modified version to see if there is any problem in either case and report back ASAP.

Anyway final decision will be yours as you are the author, I'm just trying to help with info and ideas.

alacran

#12 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:09 PM

I can confirm it is safe to ignore the warning about Unrecogniced Section: [PinningFolderList]

Spoiler

During capture of Win10 on wimboot mode can be safely ignored, not a single problem after capturing 10x64 (1809) as wimboot .wim from a VHD and latter applying it to a new VHD as wimboot install. I don't see a reason to run more tests, since this confirms what Synchronicity said.

alacran

10x64-Wimboot-VHD.png

• wimb and Tokener like this

#13 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 24 February 2019 - 05:51 AM

I can confirm it is safe to ignore the warning about Unrecogniced Section: [PinningFolderList]

Spoiler

During capture of Win10 on wimboot mode can be safely ignored, not a single problem after capturing 10x64 (1809) as wimboot .wim from a VHD and latter applying it to a new VHD as wimboot install. I don't see a reason to run more tests, since this confirms what Synchronicity said.

alacran

attachicon.gif10x64-Wimboot-VHD.png

I agree completely that it is safe to ignore the warning about Unrecogniced Section: [PinningFolderList]

• Tokener and alacran like this

#14 Tokener

Tokener

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 378 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:35 AM

Dear friends of the wimlib binaries

there is an update for wimlib-clc.

wimlib-clc  v.19
    - supports user profile settings in:
        HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wimlib_clc
    - offers extended un/installation. (non-admin users too)
        see chapter: Un/Installation
    - changed default behavior to "trackless-mode":
        Settings and log file are only saved "on demand".

Some new features are added for user's conveniance.

There is an (experimental) translation for french language generated by Google.

I hope the new version is useful for your tasks.

Thanks to all who helped to improve the script.

Download here

T.

• alacran likes this

#15 Tokener

Tokener

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 06:01 AM

Dear friends

The latest update of wimlib-clc (200502) is available here.

It is a "Nightly Build", providing some new functions which are without documentation or translation.

I beg you for patience while development is in progress.

Thank you   T.

• alacran likes this

#16 Tokener

Tokener

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 378 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 10:02 AM

Hello friends of the compression tool wimlib-imagex

It is a great pleasure for me to present you a new version of the Wimlib-clc: Build 210610

Once again our esteemed colleague alacran has played a big part in the success of this project,
with competent advice and his accurate translation (spanish), he helped to realize it.
A big THANK YOU to Mexico. :thumbup:

I hope that the innovations in the program will improve the user experience and that the use of the tools will lead to the desired results.

Convince yourself of the range of possible uses:  
From system backup to editing files in the archive - (almost) all commands for wimlib-imagex are available with a mouse click.

If there are any wishes concerning the program, I will of course try to implement them.

Success with Wimlib-clc wishes you   Tokener

Download it here.

• alacran likes this

#17 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 23 June 2021 - 11:12 PM

Thanks for your kind words my friend, I gave you some ideas/suggestions, but yours is all the merit to develop the internal logic of the program, and the code to make this new version work fine.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! for your new 2021 version (210610).

alacran

• Tokener likes this

#18 Tokener

Tokener

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 378 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 06:30 AM

Hola alacran

Your modesty honors you my friend.
Cheers to our continued excellent cooperation. :cheers: 

Seriously   T.

• alacran likes this

#19 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 24 June 2021 - 11:32 AM

Hope you don't mind if I mention some new features included in this version, but I can't resist the temptation, (remember I said: you are the father, but I love this baby as if I were the uncle):

1. The wimlib-imagex (1.13.4) new option (feature): --recover-data has being integrated in the new Build 210610 very useful to let the user Apply, Extract or Export a WIM image index even if some part of it is damaged (same behaviour as Dism), a message at the end of the process will let the user know in case this happens.
  2. Last version of wimlib-imagex (1.13.4) included in download.
  3. Available langs included in download.
  4. The program can now be called a full portable program as it is now capable to keep all the settings into Wimlib-clc.ini file locate in the root of program folder.
  5. The path to the items included into the program folder is relative to the folder root.
  6. The path of the items not included into the program folder is relative not absolute.
  7. This two previous lines mean a single folder containing the program can run from multiple OSs, WinPEs or VHDs located on the PC, (no matter each of them assing different drive letters), using the same Wimlib-clc.ini file.
  8. The user can still use the program same way as before as semi-portable writing settings to the Registry.
  9. The user still has the option to install (/s) or uninstall (/u) the program same way as before.
  10. The BCD Boot Gui has being updated to include option ALL (for both MBR and UEFI) boot files/folders if selected.
  11. The new doc folder included in download contain all documentation of wimlib-imagex for user convenience.
  12. Several improvements on the program GUI.

For all this reasons I consider this is the best version of all made so far by our fellow Tokener.

NOTE: The only purpose of this list is let the members and readers know in more detail the new features.

In no way this list means I want to take any credit of any of this features.

I only made some suggestions, the Spanish translations and ran some test of the program.

All credit is to the author/developer of the program.

alacran

• Tokener likes this

#20 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 474 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 24 June 2021 - 01:33 PM

Hi, thanks for the new version.

One suggestion : please mention how exactly to make it portable (settings saved in same directory as the exe).

When I first ran it settings were stored in the reg. I selected 'save settings to config file'. The ini file was automatically created in AppData\Roaming. Shouldn't it be saved in the same directory as the exe ?

Also the reg entries were still present so the program kept on using those.

• Tokener likes this

#21 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 24 June 2021 - 02:44 PM

It seems there is a regression to that old behaviour, the last version I tested before the release had preselected to save the config in \Wimlib_clc\Wimlib-clc.ini, I know the author Tokener made some changes to the code before release the program because he sended me a copy but I didn't had that issue as I copied my previous Wimlib-clc.ini, it already existed into program folder, and maybe that changes in the code caused the regresion to save the configuration to the Registry when the *.ini is not found on first run.

It seems to me it could be better if no option is preselected and let the user decide where he/she wants to create the config file, of course any change will require to edit the readme files too, other option maybe easier is include a very basic Wimlib-clc.ini in the download.

In the meantime the author fixes this issue, this is my generalized Wimlib-clc.ini (also attached as ini file.7z), copy it to the program folder.

Lang and wimlib-imagex files will be selected automatically.

Spoiler

Note-1: If this file exists the first time you run the program it will use it and should not save anything to the Registry.

Note-2: You will have to select on top menus File >>> and your prefered location for the log file if you want to create it, and latter verify on top menus Options >>> Enable log file, is selected.

I prefer to use LogFile=%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Temp\Wimlib-clc.log because this way every time I run CCleaner this file with old info is deleted and a new one will be created next time i run the program with only the new info.

After you set your preferences on top menus open Options  >>> Save settings/configurations now, they will be saved on the \Wimlib_clc\Wimlib-clc.ini file as it was used since the first run.

EDIT: See post No. 30 with updated info.

alacran

Attached Files

• gbrao likes this

#22 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 24 June 2021 - 02:56 PM

@ gbrao

Copy the folder name of the program, open Regedit.exe, go to top menus and select Edid  >>> Find and paste the program folder name, now select Find Next, once the first ocurrence is found make right click on it and delete the line, use F3 key in your Keyboard to find next ocurrence, and delete the line again, repeat it untill no more ocurrences are found.

This will make the program find the \Wimlib_clc\Wimlib-clc.ini file and use it.

EDIT: See post No. 30 with updated info.

alacran

#23 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 474 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 24 June 2021 - 03:06 PM

In the Apply tab, shouldn't "Image path" be "Target path" ?

• Tokener likes this

#24 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 24 June 2021 - 04:00 PM

In the Apply tab, shouldn't "Image path" be "Target path" ?

Just above that button there is the section name: Target

So all in that section is related to the Target, then I don't see any possible cause of confussion for the users.

But of course I'm not the author of the program, and he will deside if he thinks it is necessary to rename it.

But feel free to make your suggestions, I know Tokener since long time ago and he is a very friendly man always ready to hear ideas/suggestions and use all those that can improve his programs.

alacran

• Tokener likes this

#25 Tokener

Tokener

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 378 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 07:12 PM

Dear alacran

Hope you don't mind if I mention some new features included in this version (...)

On the contrary:

You describe the program from your point of view. this broadens the spectrum of views, from which we all benefit.

Thank you very much for this.

Hello gbrao

Thank you for your interesting comment about wimlib-clc.

You are right:The button "Image Path" on the APPLY-tab should open the "Target" of the applied image.

A more general term like "Path" would be appropriate.

This is defined in your specific language file, section [File] -> Term_image_path.

Here it can be changed.

Due to simplification one term is used for several controls, this applies to this term.

In a revision of the language file, this expression will have to be designated in a more differentiated way.

The migration from the previous registry store to the file-bound store is the most critical operation when using the new version. But it offers more options to the user.
I am sorry if you have been inconvenienced and hope that this graphic will bring more clarity.

Settings.jpg

Is the program is working as you expect?

I like when users demand the best possible. So thanks for asking.  :good:

Best regards   T.

• gbrao likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wimlib, archiver, compression, backup, deploying, wimlib-imagex, wimlib-imagex gui, system backup

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users