12 replies to this topic

#1 Uneitohr

Uneitohr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 219 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:37 AM

Hello,

I'd like build a custom USB stick made from a USB to M.2 converter and a M.2 SSD. However, there are many converters and I'd like to know what to look for in such devices.

Can I just buy anything or is there anything in particular I should look for?

Thank you.

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:47 AM

Hello,

I'd like build a custom USB stick made from a USB to M.2 converter and a M.2 SSD. However, there are many converters and I'd like to know what to look for in such devices.

Can I just buy anything or is there anything in particular I should look for?

Thank you.

First choose the M.2 SSD, some have "peculiar" connectors (it is an actual mess, there are B keyed SSD's, M keyed ones, B+M keyed and adapters/converters may be of this or that type), see (as a reference only):

https://rog.asus.com...which-is-which/

Also check the length of the SSD, some adapters may not have the "right" length space.

:duff:

Wonko

#3 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:30 PM

Is the speed improvement that dramatic when compared to regular flash disks?

#4 Uneitohr

Uneitohr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:52 AM

I assume there is no difference between a Samsung EVO or PRO for this, correct? I think I'm never going to achieve the SSDs maximum speed anyway.

Thus I'm thinking of buying a https://www.delock.d...?setLanguage=enusing a Samsung 860 EVO 1TB B+M connector key.

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:58 AM

Yes, very likely the bottleneck will be anyway the USB conversion (in the external adapter), the USB bus (in the motherboard) and the overhead of drivers/protocols on top of the SATA..

Wonko

• Brito likes this

#6 Uneitohr

Uneitohr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 11:20 AM

I also wanted to ask, do these converters have any limit on the size of the SSD? Would I have any issues in the future if I'd buy a bigger SSD?

#7 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 July 2018 - 11:46 AM

I also wanted to ask, do these converters have any limit on the size of the SSD? Would I have any issues in the future if I'd buy a bigger SSD?

Naah, no limits, that DeLock thingy uses an Asmedia ASM1351:
http://www.asmedia.c...dex=97&item=156

that is used also as bridge in "normal" 2.5" external cases (that use both SSD's and conventional hard disks):
https://www.delock.d...?setLanguage=it

so at least up to 4 TB it should be fine.

Wonko

#8 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 30 July 2018 - 12:19 PM

Yes, very likely the bottleneck will be anyway the USB conversion (in the external adapter), the USB bus (in the motherboard) and the overhead of drivers/protocols on top of the SATA..

Yes, I thought so. :huh:

In the end you get stuck on USB3 bandwidth regardless of faster speed on the SSD side.

I  wonder if someone smart already came up with an SSD RAID that be connected to two USB3 ports and exceed the USB bandwidth limitation per port.

#9 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:22 PM

To be fair, SuperSpeed USB 10 Gbps (USB 3.1 Gen 2) is fastish, if I had to raise a doubt about the mentioned Delock thingy is the use of the (stupid) USB C connector.

Not that there is any foreseeable problem with it (using the cable provided by DeLock), but before or later it may happen to use another cable, and the amount of badly made cables is - I believe - still preoccupying, as Benson Leung has shown in the past years.

Wonko

#10 Uneitohr

Uneitohr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 06:36 PM

Yes, well i don't think I can find one without a cable (i.e using a direct male connector). I don't like these either because that internal connector can easily break on many plug/unplug operations.

#11 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:14 AM

Yes, well i don't think I can find one without a cable (i.e using a direct male connector). I don't like these either because that internal connector can easily break on many plug/unplug operations.

Yep, which is actually good :w00t: as those with male connectors, like - example - this one:
http://www.microsata...m-2-ssd-adapter
(if used without a cable) tend to have the connector bent/snapped off by pets, passers by and clumsy colleagues :ph34r: [1].

A female connector one is IMHO still preferable, like - other examples - these ones (NOT Type C):
http://www.ewent-onl...nt_nederland_nl
http://www.reposit.e...-enclosure.html

Wonko

[1] I had more than one "normal" USB sticks die a premature death thanks to this kind of accident, and a M2 case is (relatively) huge when compared to a USB flash stick

#12 Uneitohr

Uneitohr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 219 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:08 PM

But Wonko, using a female connector will eventually loosen it. Which means the cable will not stay in place anymore, the slightest touch will disconnect it. What would you do then?

#13 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:00 PM

But Wonko, using a female connector will eventually loosen it. Which means the cable will not stay in place anymore, the slightest touch will disconnect it. What would you do then?

I would fix it :rolleyes: (duct tape comes to mind ;) ).

And before you ask what if you drop the thingy in a pond of water and the connector jams/rusts up? :w00t:

An image is worth a thousand words:

h0FFF2C88.jpg

More seriously, the newish 3/3.1 Micro-B connectors are pretty solid and surely WAY more robust than USB-C ones.

Wonko

• Brito likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users