#26 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14389 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 September 2018 - 03:47 PM

Meh. Considering that they also mention that "make sure the device is plugged in but not mounted" I suspect this is another distro that decided to put all of its eggs into the ISOHybrid basket, without realizing the unintended consequences of it (such as Windows correcting the backup GPT record if the USB isn't the exact same size as the image drive, or any checksum validation being thrown off if you have an ESP on that drive).

Or maybe they just don't know that Rufus has a DD mode that (AFAIK) should work as well as any other DD application you'll find on Windows...

At any rate, I don't have much of an issue with distro makers pushing for whatever tool they think is most suited for the job of creating bootable media, even if they advertise for something else than Rufus to be used.

Yep :), it is only "queer", as I always thought that it was a boot utility/tool (like Rufus/Unetbootin/etc.) that could "decide" to support (or not support) a specific .iso/Os/distro, not the other way round. :dubbio:

:duff:

Wonko

#27 Akeo

Akeo

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 323 posts
  •  
    Ireland

Posted 04 September 2018 - 12:03 PM

With September having arrived, it is time for a new BETA!

Rufus 3.2 BETA:

• Add RSA-2048 signature validation on all the server downloads
  • Add "Fast zeroing" cheat mode (courtesy of René van der Zee)
  • Add support for XP/Server 2003 x64 ISOs (courtesy of Mattiwatti)
  • Improve ISO extraction performance by preallocating files (courtesy of Mattiwatti)
  • Improve bad blocks check algorithm (from suggestions by AL.Skywalker)
  • Fix progress not being displayed for Sylinux or GRUB downloads
  • Fix application close when cancelling an image scan

For those wondering about XP/2003 64-bit ISO support, when official support for these platforms has all but ceased, I'm just going to say this:

It is provided "as is", because it cost nothing to integrate and I didn't have to spend any time on it. However, if you encounter any issue with it, you are 100% on your own.

#28 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14389 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 September 2018 - 01:42 PM

For those wondering about XP/2003 64-bit ISO support, when official support for these platforms has all but ceased, I'm just going to say this:

It is provided "as is", because it cost nothing to integrate and I didn't have to spend any time on it. However, if you encounter any issue with it, you are 100% on your own.

Wheeew, for one moment I thought you were softening up (with age :w00t:) ;).

Congratulation for the new release :).

:duff:

Wonko

#29 Akeo

Akeo

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 323 posts
  •  
    Ireland

Posted 11 September 2018 - 03:55 PM

Rufus 3.2 has now been released. You can get it from here.

The release ChangeLog is as follows:

• Add RSA-2048 signature validation on all the server downloads
  • Add "Fast zeroing" cheat mode (courtesy of René van der Zee)
  • Add support for XP/Server 2003 x64 ISOs (courtesy of Mattiwatti)
  • Improve ISO extraction performance by preallocating files (courtesy of Mattiwatti)
  • Improve bad blocks check algorithm (from suggestions by AL.Skywalker)
  • Fix progress not being displayed for Sylinux or GRUB downloads
  • Fix unwanted application close when cancelling an image scan
  • Fix an issue where FAT32 could still be selected for ISOs containing a >4GB file

Enjoy! :rolleyes:

#30 Akeo

Akeo

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 323 posts
  •  
    Ireland

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:17 PM

Bugs don't take a break and neither do we → Rufus 3.3 [BUGFIX RELEASE]

• Fix a regression when processing uncompressed bootable DD images
  • Fix Windows To Go drive creation for ARM64 Windows ISOs

The second issue didn't really require a fast-track release, but the first one did because it meant that Rufus was unable to open uncompressed DD images or  without reporting Failed to scan image, which is a bit of a showstopper...

By the way, since it seems a lot of people who ran into this issue weren't aware of it, did you know that Rufus has been able to open .zip, .Z, .gz, .lzma, .bz2 and .xz compressed DD images for quite a few years now?

Available HERE.

#31 Akeo

Akeo

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 323 posts
  •  
    Ireland

Posted 16 October 2018 - 03:43 AM

Due to a targeted DDoS attack against the existing Rufus servers, please be advised that we have had to move our content as well as alter our DNS and hosting functionality, which means that you may find that you have trouble accessing https://rufus.akeo.ieor https://rufus.ie.

If that is the case, you are encouraged to visit http://rufus.ie/downloads (That's HTTP, NOT HTTPS, as more work is needed to properly restore SSL) to download the Rufus executable.

You may also try http://rufus.ie for the home page (again HTTP only for now), but depending on your browser, it is possible you will may only get an SSL error for that.

Obviously, we are working on restoring full web site functionality as soon as we can, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

#32 Akeo

Akeo

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 323 posts
  •  
    Ireland

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:23 PM

https://rufus.ie and https://rufus.akeo.ie (which has now been set to always redirect to https://rufus.ie)should now be operational again.

There are some minor annoyances (language selection, check for update) that still need to be resolved, but they aren't as high a priority as the rest, and will be sorted at a more leisurely rate...

#33 Akeo

Akeo

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 323 posts
  •  
    Ireland

Posted 3 weeks ago

Been some time, so HERE's a BETA for Rufus 3.4.

The ChangeLog for the upcoming version is as follows:

• Set the default image selection directory to Downloads\ instead of My Documents\
  • Add ARM/ARM64 automatic update support
  • Improve UEFI:NTFS compatibility
  • Update the .appx to include all architectures as well as request elevation
  • Fix broken detection of some EFI based images
  • Fix broken update check due to new server
  • UI and accessibility fixes and improvements

As usual, if you think you encountered any issue with the BETA, PLEASE report it!

#34 Akeo

Akeo

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 323 posts
  •  
    Ireland

Posted 2 weeks ago

Releasing a BETA 2, as there were a few small but annoying device access issues that I wanted to see fixed sooner rather than later.

You can find the new BETA HERE.

#35 Akeo

Akeo

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 323 posts
  •  
    Ireland

Posted A week ago

And Rufus 3.4 has been released.

Final Changelog:

• Set the default image selection directory to Downloads\ instead of My Documents\
  • Add ARM/ARM64 automatic update support
  • Improve UEFI:NTFS compatibility
  • Improve access issues by using VDS to delete all partitions
  • Update the .appx to include all architectures as well as request elevation
  • Fix broken detection of some EFI based images
  • Fix broken update check due to server switch
  • UI and accessibility fixes and improvements

It needs to be pointed out that, if you are using an older version of Rufus, and have enabled automatic updates, you will not get the latest update, as our change of server means that the old update check mechanism is broken (and if you really want to know all, the reason behind this has to do with the fact that we no longer control the Content-Type for the .ver files we use for automatic updates, github does, and since github only sets Content-Type according to RFCs, .ver files are defaulting to binary/octet-stream, whereas earlier versions of Rufus were designed to bail out on the update check if the Content-Type was anything other than text/plain).

You will therefore have to download the latest version manually. But of course, Rufus 3.4 will be able to detect subsequent updates. I can only apologize for the inconvenience.

• wimb likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rufus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users