#1 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:11 AM

Just did a clean install of Vista Ultimate 32 bit, and trying to get VistaPE to run under it using WinBuilder 069 beta 6 and the latest VistaPE scripts and what-not downloaded through WinBuilder. It dies early, in the middle of "Detecting Wimutil" in 0- PreConfig, with the message "Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager (fltmgr.sys) not found, please install latest SP. Exiting ...". Fltmgr.sys is found twice under C:\Windows, and copying it to E:\WinBuilder\Projects\Tools makes no difference. I don't have the WAIK installed anymore, so using ImageX is out, at least for the moment. Any thoughts?

#2 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1729 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:08 AM

In the options for the 0 - PreConfig script did you select WimUtil or ImageX? ImageX only works with the AIK installed.

#3 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:11 PM

Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager (fltmgr.sys) not found, please install latest SP. Exiting ...

VistaPE check fltmgr service in redistry (not file), you need disable UAC :confused1:

#4 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:41 PM

VistaPE check fltmgr service in redistry (not file), you need disable UAC :confused1:

Ugh. I tried disabling UAC once, and lost all my settings for all my programs. Don't think I want to do that again. (UAC is almost bearable with
TweakUAC
and running in an administrator-privilege account).

I'll try installing the WAIK, if that will work in Vista.

#5 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:49 PM

Ugh. I tried disabling UAC once, and lost all my settings for all my programs.

Do you use standard msconfig.exe for disabling UAC? Interesting...

I'll try installing the WAIK, if that will work in Vista.

i am not sure, as i know, all tester disable UAC before using WinBuilder in Vista...

#6 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:57 PM

Do you use standard msconfig.exe for disabling UAC?

Yes. And when I re-enabled it they all came back. I am still learning about where Vista stores things. I have not been able to find Opera's cookies and passswords yet.

i am not sure, as i know, all tester disable UAC before using WinBuilder in Vista...

Well, I will find out. In a day or two. Busy rignt now.

#7 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1729 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:31 AM

With UAC enabled registry redirection is also enabled. So when you install a program the registry updates are redirected. If you then switch off UAC then registry redirection is then disabled hence the registry settings appear to be lost.

If you are intending to run with UAC disabled you should install programs with UAC disabled.

#8 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:13 AM

If you are intending to run with UAC disabled you should install programs with UAC disabled.

very interesting, do we have any way to take all settings back after disabling UAC, if i install program before?

ps Linux is more better, i wait KDE 4, it's will be more better that Vista Aero :confused1:

#9 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1729 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:53 AM

The Vista registry virtualization uses this key:

HKEY_USERS\<User SID>_Classes\VirtualStore\Machine\Software

SO it should be possible to export to a reg file. Edit the reg file and reapply to the normal keys.

#10 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:05 PM

Interesting, thanks

#11 happyguy

happyguy
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:58 PM

Alright, I was getting this same error and I fixed it without disabling UAC (I have the prompts suppressed with TweakVista). I didn't want to disable UAC completely and lose settings etc., so I found a better fix...

Right-click on WinBuilder.exe and select Properties. Under the "Compatibility" tab click on "Run this program as an administrator". After this it should work fine! :confused1:

#12 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:40 PM

Right-click on WinBuilder.exe and select Properties. Under the "Compatibility" tab click on "Run this program as an administrator". After this it should work fine! :confused1:

OK, that worked for me too, without the WAIK.

I'm beginning to think that everything needs to run as administrator .. :confused1: :confused1:

#13 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10554 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:55 PM

OK, that worked for me too, without the WAIK.

I'm beginning to think that everything needs to run as administrator .. :confused1: :confused1:

Welcome to Vista!! :confused1:

Reason why I've also started working on full independence from the registry API, look here:
http://www.boot-land...ives-t1839.html

Because Vista's UAC won't allow to use Win API to load hives even when running as Admin:
http://www.boot-land...ives-t1703.html

This doesn't affect just wb (look at reg.exe for example) - every application is now limited by these new rules so we need to adapt.. :confused1:

#14 fly

fly

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:32 PM

I'm trying to build this on XP with the Vista DVD files and am getting this error. All of you seem to be running this on Vista itself. Can I do this without vista?

EDIT: False alarm. Thats what I get for building it on a test box (that I didnt have admin rights on...)

#15 nessus

nessus
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:26 PM

Another option is just to right click on winbuilder.exe and select to run it as administrator, or go to the compatibility tab and check the "Run this program as an administrator " check box.

#16 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1729 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:16 PM

There is a new api in Vista for loading registry hives - RegLoadAppKey.

#17 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4171 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:49 PM

This commercial should explain it
http://movies.apple....ity_480x376.mov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users