Photo

How to boot 10PE Without Disabling secure boot?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sara - pmedia

sara - pmedia

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 184 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:03 PM

When I boot my 10pe (created with win10pese winbuilder + my scripts)  on UEFI Mode
I need to cancel secure boot 

When  secure boot is active -  Boot failed 

Can I add something to my build So I will not have to cancel it? 

It will probably take some time for motherboards manufacturers to stop giving the option to cancel it

#2 stayboogy

stayboogy

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 August 2018 - 09:30 PM

you have to boot your pe in uefi mode, and make sure your pe matches your cpu arch, so if x64 it has to be uefi x64 pe, and if x86 has to be uefi x86 pe. 

mbr mode booting will never work with secure boot.

also, you must have your bios set to boot your usb first if booting from usb, or make your boot selection menu visible.  on some devices you may have to manually add your usb device to uefi boot menu in your bios to get it to boot, and if on the hard drive then same thing.

Edited by stayboogy, 18 August 2018 - 09:31 PM.

#3 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 August 2018 - 11:46 PM

If it non-secure-boots via UEFI, then it should also secure boot assuming you are using the Microsoft \EFI\BOOT\Bootx64.EFI signed file.

Also, check your BCD to make sure it is checking for 'Integrity' and test-mode (not signed) is not enabled (use BootIce 1.3.4).

#4 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2018 - 12:34 AM

I fail to understand why you would want to boot a PE, much less any OS, in Secure Boot mode. Secure Boot doesn't make you any more secure, it has been exploited numerous times by security researchers and hackers, if anything it just adds to the headaches. And of course Secure Boot won't work in legacy BIOS/MBR mode, UEFI only.

#5 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:11 AM

If you have a WinPE that will Secure UEFI boot, you do not have to change the BIOS settings to disable Secure Boot.

This is useful because (1) you may not know the BIOS password and (2) you do not have the bother of having to alter the BIOS settings - boot - and then change back the BIOS settings afterwards (if the system is a Server this can take 10 minutes!).

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:30 AM

As a side note, likely in the last six months the OP found out that it is possible (or maybe that it is not) :whistling: .

:duff:

Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users