Photo
- - - - -

Blank Screen on Windows 7 SP1 USB 3.0 Boot

issue windows 7 sp1 usb 3.0 boot blank screen black screen problem force shut down usb

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 NinYagami

NinYagami
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:36 AM

Hi reboot,

I have Windows 7 SP1 installed with cdob's Intel USB 3.0 and embedded-usb patched. I used some other tools as well and I attached them below.

I don't get a 7B error or blue screen but when I boot it just shows the Windows 7 boot animation, then goes to a black screen. I then am forced to shut down with the power button because nothing happens.

Does anyone have any experience working with this problem? I attached my system registry hive in case anyone notices an issue there too.

Tools: tools.zip
System Hive: SYSTEM

#2 nguyentu

nguyentu

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 102 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:49 AM

You can try AIO Boot. It installs the USB 3.0 driver when needed.

Edited by nguyentu, 10 February 2018 - 06:59 AM.

#3 NinYagami

NinYagami
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:11 AM

Mmm okay, I see what this is. It is to make the Windows 7 Installer capable of booting from USB 3.0. However, I am already past installation stage and am trying to troubleshoot post-installation. Here is some evidence other people have it working: reboot.pro thread. No source on that quote though.

Anyway, I did try it. I wonder if there's a reason that Windows 7 SP1 installer can boot from USB 3.0 but the OS doesn't like to.

af867d43967ca020af1416e3baa31850.png

Edited by NinYagami, 10 February 2018 - 07:27 AM.

#4 nguyentu

nguyentu

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 102 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:37 AM

I'm sorry for the mistake.
I see the dism command can install drivers, and we can install drivers from WinPE, to the drive where you installed Windows.

Or install the driver directly into the install.wim file, which I found Microsoft has documentation.

https://docs.microso...e-windows-image

Edit:

But from your problems, I suspect this is not due to lack of USB 3.0 drivers.

Edited by nguyentu, 10 February 2018 - 07:50 AM.

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:03 AM

@NinYagami

Can you detail the hardware involved?

Have you checked the boot log? (though most probably there is nothing there, it is always worth to check it)

:duff:

Wonko

#6 NinYagami

NinYagami
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:12 AM

Can you detail the hardware involved?

Sure, I can do that. Here is a .nfo file with everything: system info.nfo

Some quick info:

i7-7700HQ

NVMe Internal SSD

SATA III -> USB 3.0 external SSD

All USB ports are 3.0

Legacy video, UEFI everything else

Have you checked the boot log? (though most probably there is nothing there, it is always worth to check it)

Sorry, I already destroyed the external SSD for re-install. Currently I am adding drivers via the DISM command to the W7 SP1 Installation USB.

Adding drivers via dism takes so long on my USB 2.0 installation USB.

Edited by NinYagami, 10 February 2018 - 10:15 AM.

#7 nguyentu

nguyentu

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 102 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:27 AM

Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor

https://ark.intel.co...-up-to-3_80-GHz

Search for "Kaby Lake Windows 7" will be useful for you.

Edit:

From Dell:

https://www.dell.com...cessors?lang=en

Kaby Lake generation of processors:

Intel's seventh generation Core processors, the Kaby Lake series (I7-7xxx, I5-7xxx CPU description = Kaby Lake), will only have Windows 10 operating system support.

Dell is in alignment with both Intel and Microsoft support policies for Kaby Lake systems, limiting Kaby Lake operating system support to the Windows 10 operating system alone.

There will be no legacy operating system support (Windows 7, Windows 8.0 or Windows 8.1) for Kaby Lake equipped systems.

Edited by nguyentu, 10 February 2018 - 10:31 AM.

#8 NinYagami

NinYagami
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:07 AM

There will be no legacy operating system support (Windows 7, Windows 8.0 or Windows 8.1) for Kaby Lake equipped systems.

Yes, this is the official Microsoft response. But... I believe "no legacy support" simply means Microsoft will block us from updates, which is easily bypassed with this tool: wufuc. Thank you for finding this resource.

If I had to guess, though, I think the problem is still less that Kaby Lake is not receiving updates than some issue with USB.

077daeeb88cbfd42fe0c7709e03e3487.jpg

Edited by NinYagami, 10 February 2018 - 11:49 AM.

#9 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:09 AM

@NinYagami: I have an i7-7700K (unlocked and overclocked) as well, so my CPU is also officially locked to Windows 10. This doesn't bother me much, I have no desire to run an older version of Windows on my current hardware. But it is still quite dirty of Microsoft/OEMs to pull some shit like this. I wouldnt be surprised if Intel/AMD later added a provision (via a firmware update) to detect older Windows as they boot and halt the bootup in its' tracks.

You may think that it is only limited to updates, but drivers are also covered too. Microsoft can convince Intel to stop updating drivers for people that are trying to run Windows 10 on Kaby Lake/Skylake CPUs. Good luck finding an official Windows 7 chipset driver for your CPU.

It's also important to note that other OSes like Linux are unaffected, old Linux distros continue to run fine on the latest Intel CPUs.

#10 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:56 PM

I don't get a 7B error or blue screen but when I boot it just shows the Windows 7 boot animation, then goes to a black screen.

Go back to basic testing: try default Windows 7 files
What happens? A BSOD 0x7b is after black screen and would be a success so far.

black screen: general answer: try another hardware

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: issue, windows 7, sp1, usb 3.0, boot, blank screen, black screen, problem, force shut down, usb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users