No replies to this topic

#1 nino61

nino61
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:48 PM

Hello, I am an enthusiast of this site which I have eventually been able to sign up and have my say to anything that interests me the most. I am fond of ramloading. I have been so since I realized my comp used just 4% of my ram. I have 64gb of it and when I saw the little my system used I felt compelled to "get my money's worth". When I discovered this, I started hunting for those sites that offered help on how to preload windows and found out that this one was the best. I started to make bare metal vhds and realized that running the sistem like this was even faster than with conventional setup. With your contribution I was also able to preload it and boot it, with all the advantages that might ensue. A couple of days ago I ran into a site offering help on how to have linux run from windows, which has allowed me to get a grasp of linux without going to the trouble of squeezing my mass storage and make room for native linux repartitioning. By perusing several tutorials and taking cues from wonko's contributions, I managed to preload linux deepin into ram and boot it with only a few presses of the enter key (3, as far as I can remember). The menu.lst lines that I have used are the following:

title deepin
map --mem (hd0,0)/deepin.vhd (hd0)
map --hook 
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /wubildr.mbr
chainloader /wubildr.mbr

I am booting the whole VHD file loaded into memory:

1) it takes some time to preload a 20gb off an SSD;

2) once loaded read/write access and operation in general will be very, very fast, though;

3) the whole OS/install is "volatile", so any change should be made on a copy of the deepin directory residing on the SSD in order to be persistent (obviously via a consequent copy of it back to the vhd). This way I sorta have volatile sessions of a persistent system.

This way I speedup the system (obviously from ramloading it onwards, not before) and reduce the wear and tear of the SSDs by taking advantage of the lotta ram I have (which would stay mostly unused otherwise). I have actually seen no alternative SSD-loading-based techniques that would guarantee the speed of ram so far. If anyone has, pls let me know asap. The above menu.lst content might be even more useful to those who deal with lighter images, I only wanted to point out that it does work for linux vhd booting.  unfortunately, in my case, I cannot sever what to leave out of the vhd from what I keep in, as it is a .disk file residing in a windows directory.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vhd, windows, linux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users