Photo
- - - - -

What is your current job and which role?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wean_irdeh

wean_irdeh

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted A week ago

Sorry I'm just curious, especially the developer on reboot.pro

#2 erwan.l

erwan.l

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1994 posts
  •  
    France

Posted A week ago

Actually, you will probably find out that many of the developers over here are not forcibly profesional developers.

Some of them may not even be IT pros.

But they all are passionate people if you ask me.

Still the level of expertise and dedication is very high.

Regards,
Erwan

• Nuno Brito likes this

#3 IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe

IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 578 posts
  • Interests:An investigation is underway to determine whether Trump has any ties to America.
  •  
    United States

Posted 6 days ago

Professional tinkerer and computing/technology enthusiast.....I personally don't work a traditional job, and refuse to. I just don't like the idea of working hard for someone while they make a profit off the sweat of my labor, especially since the pay usually sucks ass. Another thing is that I don't like being told what to do and am generally resistant to authority figures. I do, however, own several online marketing businesses. I like to run the show and work on my own schedule. Personal independence is one of my most important values.

• Nuno Brito likes this

#4 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1336 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 5 days ago

Well, I still "lurk" here often.  I'm retired now, and keep busy.  During my professional life, I was the guy in Engineering (Software developement) that did "DevOps" way before it was called that, and learned how to talk to Marketing, Finance, Sales and Customers.  So I had a "neat" job being the "goto" person to help all those groups communicate back to R&D.  This was in the ECAD business, which has a few, but very important customers (i.e. EVERYONE who makes computer chips).  I also did the "licensing" enforcement SW.

I spent a lot of time here documenting the original WinBuilder and writing scripts.  I'll echo the above.  Lots of pretty smart people here.  I got involved because for a "hobby" (after working on big, complex techical systems all day), I like to tinker with Windows, and the idea of building a custom "boot" disk to troubleshoot and debug issues was interesting and "fun"! (yes, a lot of here have a warped sense of humor).

• Nuno Brito likes this

#5 misty

misty

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 715 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 4 days ago

I know next to nothing about computers and have never worked in the industry. The little I've managed to learn has been via forums like the amazing reboot.pro (obviously) boot.land.net (RIP), 911cd forum (RIP), MSFN, and also theoven. There are some very talented and helpful people here and on the other sites I mentioned - often the same people frequenting each site. It's amazing how much time people have dedicated to their own little projects and/or helping others.

My starting point has always been throwing lots of time into stuff that looks interesting until I can make it work for me. Often from p!ss poor instructions, or instructions that make sense to more advanced users but make me feel like a dumbass! This bloody mindedness and stubbornness usually pays of in the end. I figure if I can make things work for me then I can try to explain them and document my woes for others to follow - hopefully with less pain than I experienced.

Anyway, I digress. In answer to the OPs original question - my job is so far removed from computing that it's not even worth mentioning - reboot is my bolt hole and escape from work - it's where I come for some sanity after dealing with sh!t at work. And it's fun messing around with boot disks.

Regards,

Misty
  • Nuno Brito and ambralivio like this

#6 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 10465 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 2 days ago

Engineer.

My role is mostly solving other people's headaches with s/w. I'm happy learning new things along the way and writing tools.

Example from earlier this morning, working on machine learning together with a remote team:

:)

#7 IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe

IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 578 posts
  • Interests:An investigation is underway to determine whether Trump has any ties to America.
  •  
    United States

Posted 2 days ago

@Nuno: In your avatar you look like a nerd, but like a professional in the video.

#8 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1717 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted A day ago

I am a professional software developer for a large computer company. Been doing it for 38 years. Amazing how much the industry has changed in that time.

• Nuno Brito likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users