Photo
- - - - -

splashimage not showing (in grub4dos in syslinux in yumi's live usb in rmprepusb's qemu ! )

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 matrix.rebooted

matrix.rebooted

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:32 PM

Hello,

As a good newby it took me some time to create a working bootable usb! and to figure out how all this stuff is chained... :)

So, I tried different locations of a splashimg.xpm.gz file on the usb: /, /multiboot, /multiboot/menu, /grub/boot
changing accordingly the splashimage's path in /multiboot/menu/menu.lst, but at best no background is displayed and at worst screen is frozen.
In some examples I found, sometimes the syntax is splashimage=, sometimes there is no = sign, I tested both.
Tried also other .xpm.gz files, tried with extension .jpg, .bmp, .png...

live usb has been created with last yumi version (with grub4dos 0.4.6a 2016-12-12)
xpm.gz file is one of the file from rmprepusb's site, and I'm using win7 sp1.

I preferred not to force reboot each time I changed one line, so I used the qemu is rmprepusb, no change. But, could it be also some graphics limitation of the qemu-lation?

Eventualy, could you also tell me if this yumi/grub4dos version accepts gfxmode instructions (I tried gfxmenu /message, nothing happened neither)

Thank you, and greetings for all this usefull tools! (at least my live usb is valid)

#2 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:49 PM

XPM format I think is no longer supported and was 14-colour only anyway. use .bmp or .jpg.

Depending on what file you used from E2B, it may be called .gz but may actually just be a jpg file (or may be a compressed .bmp file). Grub4dos pays no attention to the file extension - a .bmp can be renamed to .fred and it will still load as a bitmap.

Grub4dos looks at internal file header/data to discover its internal format.

Use \grldr from E2B for a reliable version of grub4dos

It would be best to try running commands from the grub4dos command line, e.g.

splashimage /_ISO/Myimage.jpg

then press ESC to view result in menu.

Often you need to set the graphics mode first, e.g. for 800x600

graphicsmode -1 800 600

splashimage /_ISO/MyImage.jpg

If using a .bmp, it must be 24-colour. If using a .jpg it must not be in progressive format (save it using MSPaint for correct format).

Lots of info at http://www.rmprepusb...ackground-image

#3 matrix.rebooted

matrix.rebooted

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:26 PM

thank you for the suggestions,

I'have not used e2b yet since for some isos, their seems to be a little manipulations to do, yumi was easier for me to try first.

As you told, I replaced H:\HBCD\grldr on the usb with the one in the e2b temp dir. Although the files have different sizes, I didn't see any particular problem, except the grub4dos menu still doesn't show up.

I tried the command line, no complaint, but still no menu.

Same behavior when rebooting the computer or testing in qemu.

In fact, after grub4dos is loaded (after syslinux menu), their is just a blinking cursor if I add any splashimage=... command in the menu.lst.

Plus, I realized that even foreground and background command have no effect (still white text over black screen)

edit: done!

I finally reach to get some error code via the console, the error was unsupported format. apparently .xpm.gz is not supported (?) and after trying some other format I succeeded with .jpg. So, the trick is to specify a graphicsmode in the menu.lst and all is good.

thanks again

Edited by matrix.rebooted, 10 November 2017 - 04:44 PM.

#4 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:39 PM

XPM not supported

- uh, yes, that is why the first line of my post says 'XPM format I think is no longer supported'!

So, the trick is to specify a graphicsmode in the menu.lst and all is good.

uh, yes, that is why in my post I say 'Often you need to set the graphics mode first, e.g. for 800x600,

graphicsmode -1 800 600
splashimage /_ISO/MyImage.jpg'

glad it's working now.

There are YouTube videos in my grub4dos tutorial too... ;-)

https://www.rmprepus...orials/grub4dos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users