os2 grub4dos trap 000e

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ppgrainbow

ppgrainbow

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:42 AM

It's been a while since I posted a thread, "GRUB4DOS and IBM OS/2" on how to boot OS/2 Warp 4 with Grub4DOS more than two years ago and now I ran into a bit of trouble getting OS/2 Warp 4 to work from a second hard drive with Grub4DOS.

This procedure was done in Virtual PC 2007 under Windows 8.1, by the way.

In order to properly boot OS/2 Warp 4 off of a second hard disk, I had to enter the following information in my Grub4DOS MENU.LST file:

title IBM OS/2 Warp 4\n\n
unhide (hd1,0)
unhide (hd1,4)
unhide (hd1,5)
unhide (hd1,6)
root (hd1,0)
savedefault
hide (hd0,0)
hide (hd0,4)
hide (hd0,5)
hide (hd0,6)
hide (hd2,0)
hide (hd2,4)
hide (hd2,5)
hide (hd2,6)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --floppies=1
chainloader +1

When I first installed OS/2 Warp as a part of a DOS multi-booting routine, I had to boot from a floppy disk image to install the OS. FDISK from the original release of OS/2 Warp 4 will not properly support hard disks larger than 16,320 cylinders x 15 heads x 63 sectors per track for a total of 7,896,268,800 bytes (or 7,530 MB).

I managed to make up to four 1,883 MB FAT participants (one primary and three logical drives) prior to installing OS/2 Warp 4 as usual without any problems

Now, here's the hard part, when I applied FixPack 15 and rebooted this is what happened:

https://imgur.com/a/gcISa

OS/2 Warp inside Virtual PC crashed with a TRAP 000E possibly referencing OS2KRNL after FixPack 15 is installed.

https://imgur.com/a/MDJLO

OS/2 Warp suffers a TRAP 000E referencing to OS2KRNL after FixPack 17 is installed.

The reason why this happened.

Looking into the CONFIG.SYS file, OS/2 Warp 4 with the IBM1S506.ADD base driver will only boot from the first hard disk, if hacks and workarounds such as hiding hard disk partitions and mapping the second or third hard disk as the primary is applied, OS/2 Warp 4 will throw a TRAP 000E error and halt.

In order to fix this issue, I had to replace the IBM1S506.ADD driver with Dani's DANIS506.ADD driver which will allow OS/2 to boot from a slave hard drive.

I simply had to replace line 49 of the CONFIG.SYS file

BASEDEV=IBM1S506.ADD

with this line

BASEDEV=DANIS506.ADD /A:0 /U:1 /!BM

And in line 86 of the CONFIG.SYS file I had to replace

BASEDEV=IBMIDECD.FLT

with this line

BASEDEV=DANIATAP.FLT

You can get the replacement drivers at these following links:

1. http://www.ecsoft2.o...eidesata-driver
2. http://www.ecsoft2.o...as-atapi-filter

Edited by ppgrainbow, 18 September 2017 - 08:47 AM.

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:39 PM

No. :w00t: :ph34r:

Meaning that it makes no sense to exchange drives:

map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)

without hoooking the mapping:

map --hook

as a matter of fact, exchanging the disk drives without hooking equates to NOT exchange the disk drives, and most probably all the hiding/unhiding is not really *needed*.

:duff:

Wonko

#3 ppgrainbow

ppgrainbow

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:17 AM

No. :w00t: :ph34r:

Meaning that it makes no sense to exchange drives:

map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)

without hoooking the mapping:

map --hook

as a matter of fact, exchanging the disk drives without hooking equates to NOT exchange the disk drives, and most probably all the hiding/unhiding is not really *needed*.

Wonko

That's true.

I usually have to hide drives when I run another operating system or otherwise the drive lettering will be messed up. If I have to hide two other drives and exhange the drives when hooking?

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:25 AM

That's true.

I usually have to hide drives when I run another operating system or otherwise the drive lettering will be messed up. If I have to hide two other drives and exhange the drives when hooking?

Cannot say/cannot understand, describe (exactly) how your system is setup if you want/need any suggestion.

What I tried telling you is only that, given that you have a first disk (hd0) and a second disk (hd1) if you issue the following commands:

map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook

to all effects at BIOS level your second disk will be (hd0) and the first disk will be (hd1), so you won't be anymore booting from second disk, but rather from first disk, i.e. you can have via software exactly the same result as you would have by exchanging the disk order physically, or - if you prefer - that you can omit the two map lines in the menu.lst entry you posted as they will do nothing, or that this:

title IBM OS/2 Warp 4\n\n
unhide (hd1,0)
unhide (hd1,4)
unhide (hd1,5)
unhide (hd1,6)
root (hd1,0)
savedefault
hide (hd0,0)
hide (hd0,4)
hide (hd0,5)
hide (hd0,6)
hide (hd2,0)
hide (hd2,4)
hide (hd2,5)
hide (hd2,6)
map --floppies=1
chainloader +1

does EXACTLY the same as the entry you originally posted.

Wonko

#5 ppgrainbow

ppgrainbow

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:42 PM

Adding the map --hook parameter after mapping (hd1) as (hd0) threw this error message:

"Non-System disk or disk error

Replace and press any key when ready"

Pressing ENTER returned me to GRUB4DOS.

If I don't use the "map --hook" parameter, OS/2 Warp boots from the second hard disk without problems. :)

#6 ppgrainbow

ppgrainbow

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:37 AM

Okay, I can't seem to edit my post, but I finally solve this problem. Here is the correct way how I booted OS/2 Warp from the second drive:

hide (hd0,0)
hide (hd0,4)
hide (hd0,5)
hide (hd0,6)
unhide (hd1,0)
unhide (hd1,4)
unhide (hd1,5)
unhide (hd1,6)
hide (hd2,0)
hide (hd2,4)
hide (hd2,5)
hide (hd2,6)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --floppies=1
map --hook
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

This will boot OS/2 Warp from the second hard disk image, hide all of the partitions in (hd0) and (hd2) where MS-DOS and Windows 95 reside respectively. After that, hd1 gets remapped as hd0 and INT13 gets hooked (map --hook). By using root (hd0,0) this will make the mapped hard disk boot. :)

Edited by ppgrainbow, 24 September 2017 - 01:12 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: os2, grub4dos, trap 000e

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users