Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:56 PM

Posted Image

File Name: Dism Mount Service
File Submitter: ReTokener
File Submitted: 02 Jun 2017
File Updated: 14 Jun 2020
File Category: Tools

Dism Mount Service (DMS)
is a tool to load Windows Image files (esd/ffu/wim/swm) from explorer context menu.

It is a frontend for dism.exe and since dism version of win8 it has full spectrum support,
while dism.exe of win7 does only mount files.

- Install it by "/s" switch.
- You can select a custom dism.exe (v.10 from winAIK) by [File] - [Select Dism File] menu entry.
- Mount / Apply / Delete / Export / Capture / Append images.
- Servicing capabilities are available.
- Capture attached disk to FFU file.
- Directories can be substituted and released.
- There are several options/switches for installation and usage.
- UnMount Directory directly from explorer context-menu.

- the password for the file is dism

some details:
- press [F5] to update current tab.
- if you leave the fields free for Name / Description (FFU file) default strings are: "Disk #" / "$Model"
- Use EXTRAS -> CHECK SETTINGS -> Regedit -> export (and edit) settings as "default.reg" next to DismMountService.exe
"default.reg" (if present in same path) will be loaded when starting DismMountService.exe. If loaded an additional button will appear next to the progressbar in the top-line.

Hope you like it. T.

Remarks:
Due to a dism issue /wimboot option does not work for capturing.
Use wimlib-clc to capture image in wimboot-mode.

Windows 10 does not allow Explorer to access drives which are mounted (by Subst) with elevated rights.
So the DMS Drives Tab does not work as expected.
Sorry for this inconvenience.

Windows 7 provides assigning Drive-Letters to Mountpoints, so WIM images can be used like attached ISO-files.

Click here to download this file

#2 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1446 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 08 April 2020 - 10:33 PM

Just to put all the relevant info together:

UEFI and/or GPT format are not a requirement.

I was using a Win10XPE_x64 made using as source 10 x64 v1903 and respective Dism Version: 10.0.18362.1

I finally made FFU capture work, after reading this post:

I was having this exact same issue.  It appears there is a bug in ADK v1903. The WinPE ISO it produces allows for imaging an ffu to a disk, but will not capture the ffu from a disk. If, however, you use the v1809 of the ADK, this problem goes away.  I tried multiple times rebuilding the ADK using v1903 but ended up with this same error.  The ISO from v1809 works out of the gate and will image OS versions at least up to Win10v1909.

Source: https://social.techn...with-0x80070032

I decided to make a new Win10XPE_x64 using as source 10 x64 v1809 and also (EDIT: Previous comment is Not required) went to http://jfx.square7.ch/GWT/oldversion/and downloaded GetWaikTools_v18.10.zip, this version downloads Dism version 10.0.17763.1 (for 10 v1809).

After this, tried again booting this time from 10XPE_x64 (made from v1809) (EDIT: Previous comment is Not required)  + Dism version 10.0.17763.1 (for 10 v1809) and using same USB stick, this time FFU capture from DMS was successful on my CSM/MBR PC without any issue.

So UEFI and/or GPT format are not a requirement.

Attached Dism-Logs-2

Alacran

NOTE: The quote has been edited to reflect actual info, as per my next post.

Just found today JFX link to GetWaikTools_v18.10 is not working, so I decided to upload it here for your convenience.

Attached GetWaikTools_v18.10, Password is: GetWaikTools

Just copy GWT.exe or GWT64.exe (as required) to same folder of Dism Mount Service (DMS), and run it selecting option Dism for Windows 10 as in attached picture. Then when running Dism Mount Service under Dism File Tab select the Path to the downloaded dism.exe

alacran

Attached Thumbnails

• GetWaikTools.png

Attached Files

• ReTokener likes this

#3 ReTokener

ReTokener

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 248 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 05:59 PM

Hi Alacran,

thanks for the detailed information.

(...) booting this time from 10XPE_x64 (made from v1809)

How do you currently build this 10XPE_x64?

Thanks in advance   T.

#4 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1446 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:40 PM

Hi my friend, nice to hear from you.

After writing on Nov/15/2019 my previously quoted post, I found Win10XPE builds made from v1809 had some troubles when dealing with a USB device, it sometimes fails creating a new file or folder or renaming a file/folder located on the USB, so I decided to go back using as source 10 v1903 and no more troubles with this issue, but forgot to update the info on that post.

Of course I'm using Dism version 10.0.17763.1 (for 10 v1809) on Dism Mount Service, but it is necessary to check this every time before using it, since on a WinPE any changes or options selected are volatile as we are working in Ram.

By the way my friend it will be good to have a way to load this setting when running Dism Mount Service, maybe with a .ini file or a .reg file as you have on wimlib-clc

The reason for not using 10 v1909 is I downloaded 10 v1909 Iso of both architectures and then it has ESD images and I didn't want to waste time transforming to WIM just to make my Win10XPE_x64.

You can get Win10XPE project from: https://github.com/ChrisRfr/Win10XPE

It is cut in 2 parts, Win10XPE_2019-12-19.7z.001 and .002 in accordance with the 100 Mb Github size limit.

NOTE: I edited my previous post to update the info in accordance with this post to avoid confusion to future readers.

alacran

• ReTokener likes this

#5 ReTokener

ReTokener

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 248 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 07:44 AM

hola alacran

Thanks for the clarification and link to XPE-project.

By the way my friend it will be good to have a way to load this setting when running Dism Mount Service, maybe with a .ini file or a .reg file as you have on wimlib-clc

This is already implemented in DismMountService.exe:

Use EXTRAS -> CHECK SETTINGS -> Regedit -> export (and edit) settings as "default.reg" next to DismMountService.exe

"default.reg" (if present in same path) will be loaded when starting DismMountService.exe - same behavior like wimlib-clc. If loaded an additional button will appear next to the progressbar in the top-line.

SORRY - I forgot to mention this in the download page.

I will fix it ASAP.

cu   T.

• alacran likes this

#6 ReTokener

ReTokener

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 248 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 12:37 PM

Hello Friends

Took some time to find out:

Windows 10 does not allow Explorer to access drives which are mounted (by Subst) with elevated rights.

So the DMS Drives Tab does not work as expected.

Sorry for this inconvenience.

Windows 7 provides assigning Drive-Letters to Mountpoints, so WIM images can be used like attached ISO-files.

Best Regards   T.

Btw New buid here

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: servicing, ffu, dism.exe, esd, deploy, wim, dism, mount utility

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users