Photo
- - - - -

Possible to change BIOS settings without entering BIOS?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe

IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 560 posts
  • Interests:An investigation is underway to determine whether Trump has any ties to America.
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:32 PM

I'm going to guess the answer is no, I suppose the BIOS runs in a special mode, and the memory regions it is able to write to/access are protected from outside access (except maybe when flashing). But since it's possible to effectively change the BIOS when flashing, then it seems reasonable to conclude that there must be a way to manipulate BIOS settings without entering it directly, either programmatically or via a script.

No?. Yes?. (provide proof). Maybe?.

• Mescal00 likes this

#2 memoarfaa

memoarfaa

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
    Egypt

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:59 PM

you mean edit BIOS settings from running OS 

Panel_Open_1.jpg

#3 IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 560 posts
  • Interests:An investigation is underway to determine whether Trump has any ties to America.
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:07 PM

@memoarfaa: Yes, that's exactly what I mean. But the utility pictured in your screenshot appears to be Toshiba-specific. What I have is a Sager NP9876 gaming laptop that has an American Megatrends BIOS. I suppose what tool you use would depend on your BIOS maker. But I did figure out that you can type "wmic bios" in a CMD prompt to get basic info. But as far as changing settings, not sure. I just would find it really useful to be able to disable/enable something like say, CSM, or overclocking options, on demand and without rebooting, preferably with my changes taking effect immediately.

#4 memoarfaa

memoarfaa

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
    Egypt

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:41 PM

Most of hardware manufacturers has same utility but I think Sager doesn't have such as this  utility

My be you can find it in Control Center Hot Key Utility

open it with "Fn+Esc" key

yQlSC.jpg

Edited by memoarfaa, 11 May 2017 - 08:43 PM.

• Mescal00 likes this

#5 IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 560 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:07 PM

Well, it makes sense to me that Sager depends on American Megatrends for providing the BIOS. So maybe I need to look for an AM utility instead? Or perhaps some other way, like the wmic command or another tool? I'll check my Control Center but I doubt changing BIOS options will be in there.

Thanks!

#6 memoarfaa

memoarfaa

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
    Egypt

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:45 PM

Try this link

http://www.majorgeek.../bios_cmos.html

#7 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 13752 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

And it probably isn't actually BIOS, but rather UEFI (firmware anyway), but in the case of UEFI, most likely you want to change something in NVRAM only, AMI has several (different/separated) tools to manage different parts of the firmware:
https://ami.com/en/p...uefi-utilities/

Be VERY CAREFUL when fiddling with firmware settings it is not unheard of people bricking their PC's for good for a mis-typing or other little mistake :ph34r:

:duff:
Wonko

#8 erwan.l

erwan.l

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1986 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:54 PM

Reading generic datas from BIOS (thru WMI for example) is rather common.

Now writing to BIOS is another story (from within windows) : it probably needs a driver (to access specific memory zones) and a deep knowledge of the machine bios.

I would only rely on manufacturer's tools to perform such thing.

#9 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 13752 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:20 PM

I would only rely on manufacturer's tools to perform such thing.

Allow me to disagree. :unsure:

I would NOT rely on *anything* actually writing to firmware when Windows (particularly a Windows 7/8/8.1/10) is running, NOT EVEN manufacturer's tools, simply too many things (services and drivers, including third party ones for various "installed" devices) that are running concurrently and that may well go wrong. :ph34r:

:duff:

Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users