Photo
- - - - -

How to convert MBR Removable USB Drive to GPT without Data Loss and vice versa ?

gpt mbr without data loss aomei easeus

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 16 October 2016 - 03:34 PM

I can convert Internal Hard Disk of my System from MBR to GPT and vice versa by using AOMEI Partition Assistant without any data loss. But It does not allow me to convert Removable USB Drive from MBR to GPT without data loss ?

Is there any way to convert Removable USB Drive from MBR to GPT without data loss ??

Regards...

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:18 AM

Why you cannot use gdisk?

:duff:

Wonko

#3 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:08 PM

I am looking for Windows tool which I can use in batch file in order to convert my Removable USB Drive from MBR to GPT and vice versa by just running batch file. AFAIK, 'gdisk' is not Windows utility ? Linux ??

Is there any alternative of 'gdisk' for Windows ?

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:22 PM

Not only it is (also) a Windows utility, but you were ALREADY pointed to that AND given some specific example instructions on how to use to use it (for something else):

http://reboot.pro/to...drive/?p=197236

Whether the Windows version is scriptable via batch it is to be seen, I seem to remember that the scriptable version only existed for Linux, but you can well use AutoHotKey or similar send keys program, I believe.

But if all the issue is with "Fixed" vs. "Removable" and the AOMEI partition assistant works for you for the "fixed, internal", have you tried it in combination with DiskMod?

http://reboot.pro/to...-usb-hard-disk/

Wonko

P.S.: Just quickly checked, the gdisk commands can be piped into it just fine, i.e. (example):

@ECHO OFF
(
ECHO \\.\PhysicalDrive2
ECHO Y
ECHO v
ECHO p
ECHO q
) | gdisk32.exe

works just fine.

• devdevadev likes this

#5 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:56 PM

Thanks for 'gdisk' scripting....

BTW, What about gptgen.exe ?

http://sabrnet.wzk.c...hout-data-loss/

P.S.: You can also use gptgen for conversion from MBR to GPT to non-system disk without data loss. Simply run

gptgen.exe -w \.physicaldriveX where X is your desired non-system disk, then reboot.

but what about GPT to MBR ?

Can you please give me some page to learn about 'gdisk' syntax ? 

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:08 PM

Can you please give me some page to learn about 'gdisk' syntax? From where i should download 'gdisk32.exe'?
Can you please develop a batch file using 'gdisk' which will convert MBR disk to GPT and GPT disk to MBR when calling from other batch file ??

Can you please START §@ç#ing AT LEAST ATTEMPT READING the info that are given to you?

WHAT do you think the liink given to you as "Get Gdisk or GPT Fdisk from here:"
given to you at the time (and just being POINTED OUT TO YOU AGAIN in the VERY post you are replying to ):
http://reboot.pro/to...e-2#entry197236
is for? :dubbio:

Then you can §@ç#ing READ the manual, §@ç#ing TRY the program, §@ç#ing experiment with it, and §@ç#ing write your own batch file.  :ranting2:

And yes, I am a grumpy old bastard :w00t: :ph34r:, and you ALWAYS manage to make me seem even grumpier!

What the heck, it is not like you are a newbie anymore, you are with us since more than two years, you should be able to read and understand given info and even to §@ç#ing do a simple google search:
http://en.lmgtfy.com/?q=gdisk&l=1

Wonko

#7 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:56 AM

This is the first time during my membership that I have seen Wonko lash out this severely at anyone. I never got a response like this (and if I had, I would most like be banned for my resulting post). This is exactly one of the reasons I dont like you, you have the attitude that you are better than everyone. Anyone that has less experience and understanding than you is frustrating to you. Oh, and next time, go for the gold and just type 'fucking' instead of $%&, etc.

#8 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:25 AM

This is the first time during my membership that I have seen Wonko lash out this severely at anyone. I never got a response like this (and if I had, I would most like be banned for my resulting post).

Well, then maybe I am super-patient and I am making an exception for devdevadev. :dubbio:

You do understand how he asked questions about a tool that was already presented to him (and that he should have already at least tried) and that the related info/post was just re-called and pointed to? (and that is the result of "I'm feeling lucky" in Google?) :unsure:

And next request was for writing a batch file using the tool. :frusty:

... and we managed to have two deadly sins in this thread :w00t::
https://en.wikipedia...th_(deadly_sin)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anger

Wonko

#9 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:07 AM

I had forget about 'gdisk' compatibility with Windows because In last GPT related thread you had developed 'mkhidGPT.cmd' for me which does not uses 'gdisk'. It's why I could not recall 'gdisk'. BTW, my memory is not as sharp as of Asylum experts...

Can you not just provide straight forward solutions about problems (thanks Steve. Si., cdob, alacran....etc...) instead of poetry based solutions containing special effects ??

BTW, I will love to treat my bad diseases with Asylum experts untill gate will not opens....

Regards...

#10 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:13 PM

Editing your post from the originally posted:

Can you please give me some page to learn about 'gdisk' syntax? From where i should download 'gdisk32.exe'?
Can you please develop a batch file using 'gdisk' which will convert MBR disk to GPT and GPT disk to MBR when calling from other batch file ??

to the current:

Can you please give me some page to learn about 'gdisk' syntax ?

Is an interesting twist, a very good attempt to make my reply seem waaay off! (Just edited my reply to include the original quote, so that I seem not completely crazy).

The (vain) attempt shows however that when you want you do read and understand, it's a sign of some progress.

Wonko

#11 Areeb

Areeb

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:14 AM

Minitool Partition Wizard can convert MBR TO GPT Disk and vice versa without data loss and also works for Removable Media. There is also a portable version available. I am NOT sure whether it works in Commandline or not. 

#12 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 October 2016 - 10:26 AM

Minitool Partition Wizard can convert MBR TO GPT Disk and vice versa without data loss and also works for Removable Media. There is also a portable version available. I am NOT sure whether it works in Commandline or not.

Which is good :), as I am pretty sure that it does NOT work in command line, at least last time I checked i it was GUI only.

Wonko

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gpt, mbr, without data loss, aomei, easeus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users