#51 stayboogy

stayboogy

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:slore is a punk ;-)
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 December 2018 - 01:15 AM

I posted the Customising WinPE topic some time ago, which links to instructions for manually adding WoW64 support to WinPE - along with some other WinPE customisations.

Direct link to documentation - here.

Direct link to adding WoW64 to WinPE 10.* - here

loadWoW64.exe/setWOW64.exe may no longer be required - see here

:cheers:

Misty

I haven't tried this resource, but I have tried your MistyPE builders, and even though the build says there is wow64 support, it doesn't actually function for me because i constantly get side by side errors running my own x86 single exe files.

now, in my personal builds using what follows, i have working x86 support in x64 pe for most every exe i've tried.  i'm not sure what's missing in your work, maybe registry keys, i haven't really investigated since mine works fine now.

here is how i got my personal builds working--taken from info here and from diffing an oven build:

1.  first i dism add all these packages to the standard ADK x64 winpe--in this specific order, it does matter:

WinPE-WMI.cab
WinPE-WMI_en-us.cab
WinPE-NetFx.cab
WinPE-NetFx_en-us.cab
WinPE-Scripting.cab
WinPE-Scripting_en-us.cab
WinPE-PowerShell.cab
WinPE-PowerShell_en-us.cab
WinPE-StorageWMI.cab
WinPE-StorageWMI_en-us.cab
WinPE-SecureBootCmdlets.cab
WinPE-SecureStartup.cab
WinPE-SecureStartup_en-us.cab
WinPE-DismCmdlets.cab
WinPE-DismCmdlets_en-us.cab
WinPE-EnhancedStorage.cab
WinPE-EnhancedStorage_en-us.cab
WinPE-Dot3Svc.cab
WinPE-Dot3Svc_en-us.cab
WinPE-FMAPI.cab
WinPE-FontSupport-WinRE.cab
WinPE-PlatformId.cab
WinPE-WDS-Tools.cab
WinPE-WDS-Tools_en-us.cab
WinPE-WinReCfg.cab
WinPE-WinReCfg_en-us.cab
lp.cab

2.  copy all these files over the original, some are duplicates, i just let them overwrite--has to be done as "Trusted Installer" running a file explorer that is not Windows Explorer.  (some may be unnecessary, i copy and replace them anyway)

https://www.mediafir...ntents.txt/file

3.  add all these registry keys.  these all come from an Oven build with wow64 support.  in order to use these regfiles asis, you will have to mount the SOFTWARE and SYSTEM hives of the winpe under HKLM\MY_SOFTWARE and HKLM\MY_SYSTEM respectively, and as you'll see if you if open the files in a text editor.

http://www.mediafire...winsxs.reg/file
http://www.mediafire...anager.reg/file
http://www.mediafire...byside.reg/file
http://www.mediafire...32node.reg/file
http://www.mediafire...32node.reg/file

4. commit your changes to the wim and then dism export your new image to a clean and max compressed wim without the [DELETED] folder.

now, if you want 1803 ADK winpe with all this already done, build x64 winpe with the ADK and use my patcher here:

http://www.mediafire...atcher.zip/file

Edited by stayboogy, 18 December 2018 - 01:22 AM.

• armixen likes this

#52 stayboogy

stayboogy

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 December 2018 - 01:20 AM

I add all that not to measure dicks [jk LoL] but to offer what i've encountered, and, if someone wants to clean what I have up, remove unnecessary parts if there are any, and make proper registry files for the keys i've got which i know there are some unnecessary ones there.

#53 armixen

armixen

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 18 December 2018 - 01:23 AM

I add all that not to measure dicks [jk LoL] but to offer what i've encountered, and, if someone wants to clean what I have up, remove unnecessary parts if there are any, and make proper registry files for the keys i've got which i know there are some unnecessary ones there.

I'm very surprised all those packages are required - in step #1 above. Does WOW64 have so many dependencies, really? Incredible.

#54 stayboogy

stayboogy

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 December 2018 - 01:31 AM

I'm very surprised all those packages are required - in step #1 above. Does WOW64 have so many dependencies, really? Incredible.

they may not be--i assure you i'm no authority on the matter, but i don't have the same issues running known working x86 apps that works in x86 pe and now my x64 pe, that i did have in others' builds.

Edited by stayboogy, 18 December 2018 - 01:33 AM.

• armixen likes this

#55 misty

misty

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 933 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 December 2018 - 03:50 PM

...I add all that not to measure dicks [jk LoL] but to offer what i've encountered...

Hahaha. No dick measuring or offence was taken at all.

....I haven't tried this resource, but I have tried your MistyPE builders, and even though the build says there is wow64 support, it doesn't actually function for me because i constantly get side by side errors running my own x86 single exe files...

I'm not sure when you tested MistyPE?

Changelog -
....Bug in SysWoW64 support for Windows 8.1 fixed....
WoW64 support was improved at this time and hopefully fixed some of the issues you experienced. It would be useful to know so that I can try to fix any issues.

Everyone has their own preferred methods, and I'm not advocating that people change if they are happy with their current setup or methods. For me, the requirement of building PESE first is a deal breaker due to a number of factors that put me off using it. That is not meant as any kind of slight about PESE - I've just found it frustrating in my own personal use. Build time is one factor. That and a confusing UI that resulted in unsuccessful builds.

Have you tried ChrisR's Win10XPE as an alternative base? This looks very promising.

In regards to the number of packages (optional components) you have listed - these are unlikely to be necessary for WoW64 support. They will add support for a range of features, but will also add a lot of bloat and significantly increase the size of boot.wim, RAM requirements, and build time. Add with care - depending on what is needed. Just my own opinion. Based on my requirements for a minimal build.

Misty
  • armixen likes this

#56 armixen

armixen

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 4 weeks ago

Changelog -

WoW64 support was improved at this time and hopefully fixed some of the issues you experienced. It would be useful to know so that I can try to fix any issues.

Everyone has their own preferred methods, and I'm not advocating that people change if they are happy with their current setup or methods. For me, the requirement of building PESE first is a deal breaker due to a number of factors that put me off using it. That is not meant as any kind of slight about PESE - I've just found it frustrating in my own personal use. Build time is one factor. That and a confusing UI that resulted in unsuccessful builds.

Have you tried ChrisR's Win10XPE as an alternative base? This looks very promising.

In regards to the number of packages (optional components) you have listed - these are unlikely to be necessary for WoW64 support. They will add support for a range of features, but will also add a lot of bloat and significantly increase the size of boot.wim, RAM requirements, and build time. Add with care - depending on what is needed. Just my own opinion. Based on my requirements for a minimal build.

Misty

So Misty, do you have any plans to add arm64 support to MistyPE?

#57 stayboogy

stayboogy

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Changelog -

Misty

I used v1803 for my source with your MIstyPE builders versions 12.26.2017 and 1.21.2018 are both past where you say there was a bug, and I know it says that source is unsupported, but, i have syswow64 working in my builds using what i posted above so...

something must still be missing in your build scripts because several x86 apps give me side by side errors using your builders, but working with what I've posted.

#58 misty

misty

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 933 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago

I used v1803 for my source with your MIstyPE builders versions 12.26.2017 and 1.21.2018 are both past where you say there was a bug, and I know it says that source is unsupported, but, i have syswow64 working in my builds using what i posted above so...

something must still be missing in your build scripts because several x86 apps give me side by side errors using your builders, but working with what I've posted.

@stayboogy
Thanks for checking. Can you please let me know which 32-bit programs had side by side errors so that I can do some testing?

Misty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users