1 reply to this topic

#1 spleenharvester

spleenharvester

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:22 PM

Hey all. I want to be able to get autorefresh working when Explorer shell isn't running.

Basically, if File Explorer is running without its shell - or using another app such as FreeCommander - and you perform a file operation, the directory won't change until you hit refresh. At present, Multicommander seems to be the only file browser that supports autorefresh in WinPE in absence of Explorer shell.

When Explorer shell is loaded and you open a File Explorer window, as some of you may know, there are two separate Explorer processes running - the one behind the shell and the Explorer window itself. If you create a new directory, the Explorer behind the shell makes the NotifyChangeDirectory call - not the file browser window. This means that if shell is not running, Explorer cannot refresh itself (if that makes sense?)

Interestingly, even if Explorer shell is not running, MultiCommander appears to create its own NotifyChangeDirectory call - regardless of whether the operation was performed in MultiCommander or in an Explorer window. This is presumably why it works properly in absence of Explorer shell.

My question - does anyone know of a way that I could force a NotifyChangeDirectory call onto other applications such as Explorer in absence of explorer shell? I imagine there is a way, maybe with a bit of programming, but I don't understand the process well enough.

Cheers

Edited by spleenharvester, 16 July 2016 - 09:40 PM.

#2 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:12 AM

Dont have a suggestion or answer, but you mentioned Multicommander. So went to their site and downloaded the installer but will use their portable version. Disabled the auto update in core options and auto send crash report in Misc. Apply button, otherwise it wont remember the setting. :thumbsup: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users