8 replies to this topic

#1 spleenharvester

spleenharvester

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:13 PM

Found some useful stuff in Macrium Reflect some of you may like to know about.

If you create a WinPE boot.wim using their program, then navigate to \program files\macrium, you will find two utilities - PEexplorer.exe (as it suggests - a barebones file browser), and taskbar.exe (a third-party taskbar, of which seemingly none others exist).

What's good about these files is that they seem to have zero dependencies that aren't already in the base WinPE10 media.

The only issue is that taskbar.exe sometimes puts a small gap between the window and the taskbar and it has proprietary buttons (but you can remove these in reshacker if desired).

I'd upload them here but unsure where it stands with regards to EULAs - taskbar.exe seems to have been written in the 90s and there is no other information about them on the internet anywhere.

:)

Edited by spleenharvester, 10 July 2016 - 08:40 PM.

#2 slore

slore
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:06 AM

as it's far from kevluck373's topic,I reply here.
try run it in your normal Windows 10'is it worked?
hold ctrl and shift then right click taskbar to terminate explorer.exe,than run PExlorer.exe with cmd or taskmgr.
if it worked,try origin boot.wim,
kill wallpaperhost;
set useprofile;
start PExlorer.exe -winpe

Edited by slore, 02 August 2016 - 08:06 AM.

• spleenharvester likes this

#3 spleenharvester

spleenharvester

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 August 2016 - 03:56 PM

as it's far from kevluck373's topic,I reply here.
try run it in your normal Windows 10'is it worked?
hold ctrl and shift then right click taskbar to terminate explorer.exe,than run PExlorer.exe with cmd or taskmgr.
if it worked,try origin boot.wim,
kill wallpaperhost;
set useprofile;
start PExlorer.exe -winpe

Good idea - can't seem to get PExlorer working unfortunately - gives an access violation error with "The memory could not be read". The only dependency I could see missing in Process Monitor was shunimpl.dll which does not fix the problem. This occurs in WinPE10 build 10.0.586.122, both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, en-us. Any ideas?

#4 Wonko the Insane

Wonko the Insane

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 498 posts
  • Interests:Oh, so you hate me too? Well, join the club! There are weekly meetings at the corner of Fuck You St. and Kiss My Ass Blvd.

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:50 PM

If you want a 3rd party taskbar that just works, check out a shell replacement called BlackBox. It's designed to replace Explorer and uses far less resources. It should work fine in a PE environment. There are different flavors of it too, like bbLean and bb4win. My favorite is a newer one called bbZero, it supports x86 and x64, and has versions for both. All of these have plugins/add-ons support as well.

There is also the LiteStep shell replacement, it's customizable to the extreme but has a higher learning curve and is more difficult to set up. It also supports plugins/add-ons and has a native x86 and x64 version. Config files are mostly plain text and Lua.

Classic Shell is good too.

#5 slore

slore
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 03 August 2016 - 12:39 AM

run PExlorer.exe on normal Windows,with explorer.exe running,should get a FileOpenDialog wiindow.
is that cannot worked either?
maybe somerhing when i trans PExlorer.jcfg in English.
rename the configure file and run again.

give the origin boot.wim's download url,I will try to checkout why got the error.

#6 spleenharvester

spleenharvester

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:33 AM

If you want a 3rd party taskbar that just works, check out a shell replacement called BlackBox. It's designed to replace Explorer and uses far less resources. It should work fine in a PE environment. There are different flavors of it too, like bbLean and bb4win. My favorite is a newer one called bbZero, it supports x86 and x64, and has versions for both. All of these have plugins/add-ons support as well.

There is also the LiteStep shell replacement, it's customizable to the extreme but has a higher learning curve and is more difficult to set up. It also supports plugins/add-ons and has a native x86 and x64 version. Config files are mostly plain text and Lua.

Classic Shell is good too.

Thanks for the suggestions - I was never able to get any of those working unfortunately, but I'll have another look. (Also Classic Shell requires Explorer Shell to be running)

run PExlorer.exe on normal Windows,with explorer.exe running,should get a FileOpenDialog wiindow.
is that cannot worked either?
maybe somerhing when i trans PExlorer.jcfg in English.
rename the configure file and run again.

give the origin boot.wim's download url,I will try to checkout why got the error.

Nothing on normal Windows either - just a spinning cursor for a few seconds then nothing. And nothing obvious pops up in process monitor either.

I don't have a download link to that specific image to hand, but there is an en-US WinPE here you can probably replicate with: http://download.micr...f1416062098.cab(rename the large file to winpe.wim)

Also occurs on any version of en-US WinRE.wim from what I have tried, both 32-bit and 64-bit.

Cheers

#7 slore

slore
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:41 AM

I have some Chinese characters in sourcecode, they are not used now,
I was defined them with UNICODE which I thought should be use in any OS.
I test in Chinese,Japanese but not en-US OS.

I fix it and test in Win10(1024,en-US,x64) boot.wim, should be OK now.
but I'm work now, so it's little old version,I will fix and upload for you after work.

If you want to try it now, you can directly modify the PExlorer.exe with HEX Editor.

open PExlorer.exe(x64) with a HEX editor(like, UltraEdit),goto 6b920h,
you can see a UNICODE string.
"JS_VERBMENUNAME":{
"2052":{"refresh":"XXXX(&E)",
         "rename":"XXXXXX(&M)","
         "cmdhere":"XXXXXXXXX(&W)"}},"

the XXXX part you will cannot read them.
change them to be aaaaa or 0000000 or something you know.

this is UNICODE so "a" -> 61 00, "0" -> 30 00 in 2bytes,
modify them carefully.

====================
I modify one and test with the en-US winpe.wim,it worked,
but I cann't upload in my work PC, sorry.

If you want a wallpaper, put a wallpaper.jpg in same folder,
and also you can change the path with edit the PExlorer.jcfg.
(PExlorer configure file in json format.)

#8 slore

slore
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:44 AM

why I cann't EDIT my last post?

I upload a modified PExlorer.exe to the URL named PExlorer_x64_EN.zip,try this one.

#9 slore

slore
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 05 August 2016 - 04:49 AM

Btw, have you tried the 'Upload file' button in the downloads section? Might be a bit easier for people to access: http://reboot.pro/files/

You may be busy with Win 10 anniversary Update PE, wait to see your work result.

I tried to upload to reboot.pro in "download" page but failed(after file uploading got "No file was selected for upload").

so upload in the origin place with named "PExlorer_x64/x32_EN.zip".

url:http://pan.baidu.com/s/1jIMzbAu  password:602p

if you have time, try this.

Edited by slore, 05 August 2016 - 04:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users