#2 Myote

Myote

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:51 AM

Any idea of VistaPE to boot up in ram?

!!! VistaPE boot always in ram, it's the particularity of .wim, if you conserve the option 'pack boot.wim'

#3 windrv

windrv

• Developer
  • 86 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:11 AM

A tutorial on how could later be released if interested?

Any 500Mb limit in size on ramdisk?

#4 windrv

windrv

• Developer
  • 86 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:48 AM

Nobody knows? Any 500M ramdisk size restriction?

Is VistaPE using the 2k3 ramdisk booting method or else?

#5 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:06 AM

No, no Server 2003 files.

VistaPE is just a simple, nice and automated way to create a WinPE 2.0 build with some added features.

The base is WinPE 2.0 and it's .wim booting, you might be able to find details of operation on winPE 2.0 related sites like these:
http://technet.micro...a/aa905120.aspx
http://apcmag.com/38...tem_maintenance

jaclaz

#6 windrv

windrv

• Developer
  • 86 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:10 AM

Thanks a lot!

It seems it only supports a ramdisk of a size less than 400M.

Has anybody done such a test on the maximum possible size of the PE 2.0 ramdisk thus formed?

#7 Myote

Myote

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:16 AM

Thanks a lot!

It seems it only supports a ramdisk of a size less than 400M.

Has anybody done such a test on the maximum possible size of the PE 2.0 ramdisk thus formed?

Just a question, why need of a ramdisk ? since Vistape is in ram and you could write in

#8 windrv

windrv

• Developer
  • 86 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:37 AM

Just a question, why need of a ramdisk ? since Vistape is in ram and you could write in

Is Vistape running on a ramdisk?

If Vistape is in ram, where is its system image?

What is the difference between "Vistape in ram" and "Vistape running on ramdisk"?

@Myote

Where could I write in? into a ramdisk or what if not?

#9 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:20 AM

windrv
May be you can read WAIK documentation?

If Vistape is in ram, where is its system image?

boot.wim, when you booting it will be mounted as drive X:, and yes, you can write on it...

also you can add ramdisk drive (for example as drive b:) and write on it...

also you can booting directly from media (without boot.wim) and will be available write on media...

may be you can try? better way one time see, that scores of times ask :confused1:

#10 Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 June 2007 - 04:58 PM

Any idea of VistaPE to boot up in ram?

I must be doing something wrong, when I try booting up my boot.wim via ramdisk boot from my C:\boot\BCD, it boots up just fine but no command shell opens. I just get a black screen with a working mouse pointer. I created my boot.wim by downloading WinBuilder and doing a full VistaPE project build. boot.wim got created in Target\VistaPE\sources. I configured BCD to boot to that as ramdisk.

What am I doing wrong? I haven't tried burning the .iso to CD and booting that, by from your instructions I get the impression that I should be able to boot the boot.wim as a ramdisk. (Will burn to CD and try booting from that just to see when I get back to my desk.)

My ultimate goal is to get a boot-from-ram Windows PE that I can connect to the network with to refresh local hard disk from network-based WIM image with no CD, floppy, USB required -- e.g. no-touch re-imaging. The Microsoft WinPE works fine for this, but most of our computers have only 256Mb of RAM so I need a slimmed-down WinPE wim file.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

============= update ===========
I burned the .iso file to CD and booted from that, I get the same result -- VistaPE boots up, but when it's done it just displays a black screen with a working cursor -- no command prompt, no icons, no explorer shell, no response to keyboard. The mouse works, but double-clicking, right-clicking, or clicking anywhere on the black screen gives no response. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Maybe my Vista DVD is the problem? I'm using Vista Enterprise DVD.

Thanks again for any help
Another thought: maybe my hardware doesn't quite get along with VistaPE? I'm using a standard Dell Optiplex GX240 with this hardware included in the standard motherboard: Radeon VE video, Intel 82801BA Bus Master IDE controller, 3Com 3C920 net adapter. Doesn't seem likely this is the problem, since it does go into graphical mode ok (mouse pointer is there), but thought I'd mention.

============= Update PROBLEM SOLVED (sort of) ============
D'ohh! Never mind. I see I must have used too bleeding-edge version of VistaPE, as per the "VistaPE 008 Boots to Black Screen" topic (http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=1886). Will read up on how was fixed...

--Mike Reynolds
University of Washington (Seattle) ITS

#11 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10565 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:14 PM

Hi Mike, glad to hear you've found more info on this issue.

Sometimes I've noticed that it helps to use a smaller path like c:\WinBuilder or ensuring you run the projects from an NTFS partition (needed for WIM handling).

In either case you should also upload your log.html file to help us read more details about how your project was built.

Good luck, hope you find a solution.. :1st:

#12 windrv

windrv

• Developer
  • 86 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:29 AM

I must be doing something wrong, when I try booting up my boot.wim via ramdisk boot from my C:\boot\BCD, it boots up just fine but no command shell opens. I just get a black screen with a working mouse pointer. I created my boot.wim by downloading WinBuilder and doing a full VistaPE project build. boot.wim got created in Target\VistaPE\sources. I configured BCD to boot to that as ramdisk.

What am I doing wrong? I haven't tried burning the .iso to CD and booting that, by from your instructions I get the impression that I should be able to boot the boot.wim as a ramdisk. (Will burn to CD and try booting from that just to see when I get back to my desk.)

My ultimate goal is to get a boot-from-ram Windows PE that I can connect to the network with to refresh local hard disk from network-based WIM image with no CD, floppy, USB required -- e.g. no-touch re-imaging. The Microsoft WinPE works fine for this, but most of our computers have only 256Mb of RAM so I need a slimmed-down WinPE wim file.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I burned the .iso file to CD and booted from that, I get the same result -- VistaPE boots up, but when it's done it just displays a black screen with a working cursor -- no command prompt, no icons, no explorer shell, no response to keyboard. The mouse works, but double-clicking, right-clicking, or clicking anywhere on the black screen gives no response. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Maybe my Vista DVD is the problem? I'm using Vista Enterprise DVD.

Thanks again for any help
Another thought: maybe my hardware doesn't quite get along with VistaPE? I'm using a standard Dell Optiplex GX240 with this hardware included in the standard motherboard: Radeon VE video, Intel 82801BA Bus Master IDE controller, 3Com 3C920 net adapter. Doesn't seem likely this is the problem, since it does go into graphical mode ok (mouse pointer is there), but thought I'd mention.

============= Update PROBLEM SOLVED (sort of) ============
D'ohh! Never mind. I see I must have used too bleeding-edge version of VistaPE, as per the "VistaPE 008 Boots to Black Screen" topic (http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=1886). Will read up on how was fixed...
--Mike Reynolds
University of Washington (Seattle) ITS

Hi Mike,

I shall give out a short tutorial later using grldr and disklessangel driver. This should serve your ultimate goal.

If you are urgent for your project, please write to me on skype, my skype account is:

rollingwindows

or post me a message on Bean Forum at http://windrv.net if you cannot reach me on skype due to time zone difference.

If you use vistape within your university network, we could release our tool free for education institutes upon request.

#13 windrv

windrv

• Developer
  • 86 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:41 AM

Brief tutorial on LAN PXE-Boot for ramdisk-based WinPE & VistaPE has been released on Bean Forum at http://windrv.net

A server for receiving disk image backups will soon be released as well.

By the way, thanks to bean's work, grub4dos's grldr is now a very versatile bootloader performing the functions of PXELinux (PXE bootloader), SysLinux (hard disk bootloader) & ISOLinux (CD/DVD bootloader) in 1 file.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users