- - - - -

Possible to boot/install i586 OS (Trustix Secure Linux) on x86_64/AMD64 CPU architecture?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:01 AM

I was talking to a local techie recently and he told me about an old, server-based *Nix OS called Trustix Secure Linux, and was expounding its' benefits/possibilities. Has anyone here heard of/tried it? It's supposed to be based on Fedora, started around 2000-ish, and ended late 2007 when Trustix became defunct, and was then picked up by the community. So I hunted down an original, unmodified ISO of the last stable version released (what he recommended), then installed it in VirtualBox. I playedvwith it for awhile and decided it's a keeper.

However......the CPU architecture of this OS is i586, whereas my notebook's CPU is x86_64/AMD64. I was thinking of maybe installing it natively in a real partition on one of my drives. I'm aware that this will probably need legacy MBR partitioning, a hybrid MBR, or similar. Or perhaps I can install it into a disk image (VHD, etc) and then chainload boot that image from elsewhere. But none of this will work out if it's impossible to boot i586 natively on x86_64/AMD64?

Is this possible or will I need to stick with VMing it? Or perhaps maybe emulate an i586 CPU but somehow still boot natively?

Thanks for any help!

Edit: It looks like I just answered my own question. I installed Easy2Boot on USB, copied the ISO into the proper Linux folder, made the drive contiguous, then booted the USB. It worked fine but I didn't try to install it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users