Photo
- - - - -

Help with multiboot project (newbie alert)

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#26 Shoshi

Shoshi

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:40 AM

If I use e2b then it will not work as a bootable iso right? Lets say I want to boot it as a flat file, how would the menu.lst commands look?

#27 Shoshi

Shoshi

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:50 AM

Could issues with the label name and stuff talked about in this post (http://www.ezbsystem...&st=#entry18651) Be the reeason it is so difficult to boot? 

I am still looking for information on if it is possible to flat file boot it instead. If so, how?

#28 Shoshi

Shoshi

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:18 AM

So I extracted the entire casper folder to my multiboot cd. I them edited the iso and deleted all of the squashfs files from the iso. It left me with basically a 32meg stub iso.  It actually boots with the following commands.

title Eset
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /iso/eSysRescueLiveCD.iso
map /iso/eSysRescueLiveCD.iso (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/iso/eSysRescueLiveCD.iso
initrd /casper/initrd.lz

There has to be a cleaner way to do this...

#29 Shoshi

Shoshi

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:54 AM

My apologies for the rapid succession of posts. Is there a way to move or rename the casper folder? I have tried and editing the corresponding .lst file and either the files are not found and it does not boot or it boots and cannot find a live file system. I want to move it because there's something else that I want to add that may also need its own casper folder.

Edited by Shoshi, 25 February 2016 - 07:54 AM.

#30 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14778 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:13 AM

My apologies for the rapid succession of posts. Is there a way to move or rename the casper folder? I have tried and editing the corresponding .lst file and either the files are not found and it does not boot or it boots and cannot find a live file system. I want to move it because there's something else that I want to add that may also need its own casper folder.

And again the issue is "one step further".

Most probably (please read as "surely") that distro has the "casper" folder hardcoded in some of the following steps of booting (i.e. long after grub4dos - or other bootloader -  has passed control to the internal to the distro booting part).

To rename it you would need to either re-build the Linux distro from sources or track each and every occurrence of this hardcoded folder name and change/hexedit it, both are far beyond (IMHO) the level of complexity that a "normal" user can tackle and in any case simply not worth it.

Any reason that prevents you (where applicable) to use the (hd0,3) partition for the .iso? (not necessarily this one, but maybe the "other" one using casper is bootable like that or maybe it accepts correctly the cheatcodes)

Another (not really safe/tested or recommended) approach could be that of having (say) a caspe1 and a caspe2 folder and rename the folder at boot time to casper from grub4dos.

:duff:

Wonko

#31 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6943 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:17 AM

I already gave you menu in post 25
Flat file boot using different folder

#32 Shoshi

Shoshi

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:23 AM

I already gave you menu in post 25
Flat file boot using different folder

Hey Steve! I really do thank you for helping me so much with this. Would I need to use all of the e2b files or could I just grab the isoboot batchfile and integrate that into my existing compilation and such? How would I call it from a menu file?

#33 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6943 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:46 AM

If you look at the menu in post #25, you will see that there are no special commands in it or special batch files, etc.

It is just a straight, plain, old-fashioned grub4dos menu.

It can be used on any grub4dos implementation.

#34 Shoshi

Shoshi

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:51 AM

I did not realize it was just a drop in that did not need to be specially called or anything. Very much appreciated!

#35 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6943 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:02 AM

You can use E2B as both USB and ISO, but the special E2B features (e.g. direct boot from any linux ISO, Wiindows install ISO, partition images,  etc.) will not work as a CD.

You can however use the E2B 'framework' and simply add grub4dos menus (.mnu files) which work the same as any grub4dos menu.

If you make a \_ISO\MyE2B.cfg file on the E2B USB drive which has

!BAT
set CD=1

then when you boot from the USB drive, it will behave as if the USB drive was write-protected and will not use partnew commands even on a USB drive. This would be useful for USB testing before you test the ISO version.

I suggest using the latest version 1.77A,  or the latest Beta  (1.78) which includes support for an animated logo. Or you can use a GFX Boot menu with E2B (but GFX Boot usually requires quite a bit of tinkering!).

If you want a general purpose USB\CD to use on any system, I suggest you stick to 800x600 resolution and also use vga=ask (or at least have a boot option menu which adds vga=ask without splash and quiet for troubleshooting).

You can MBR-boot to USB via a Plop! CD, and I have also made a Plop!+grub4dos CD which will automatically boot to USB even if the system does not support USB booting.

It is quite rare these days to find a system that does not support USB booting. However, it is more common to find UEFI systems which will not boot via MBR - for these systems, an E2B USB drive may prove useful.

• Shoshi likes this

#36 Shoshi

Shoshi

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:29 PM

Thank you! I will try that. I have the latest non beta downloaded. But I will look at the beta. I have integrated plop into my compilation.

#37 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6943 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:31 PM

Why do you need to integrate plop?

If you boot from CD then USB access is not needed.

If you boot from USB then you already have USB access.

There is no need for Plop?

#38 Shoshi

Shoshi

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:09 PM

I suppose you are right. But this is right now a working ISO so it could be burned to disk and used to boot a USB if needed.

Do you stll recommend g4d 0.4.6a 2015-06-05? Which version does rpmprep stable and beta come with?

Edited by Shoshi, 25 February 2016 - 08:11 PM.

#39 Shoshi

Shoshi

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:16 PM

Hey Steve. I was building my new compilation on an ISO that was originally created in xboot. So there is no telling how old the Grub4dos files were. I was looking at your RMPREP and theres the ability to make a bootable USB and then take that same USB and make it a bootable ISO, presumably with up to date g4d files.

I started building my compilation with all lower case names and folders. But using OSCDIMG it only wants to make it all capitol. I want to use OSCDIMG, because I do have a WInPE file I want to use and I may go over 4 gigs. Is the all caps for compatibility reasons? I found out that adding the switch -d will permit lowercase names.

#40 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6943 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:31 PM

RMPrepUSB runs QEMU\makegrub4dosiso.cmd.which uses mkisofs and asks you if you want all upppercase or not by default

if you add oscdimg it will use different switches..

You can edit the cmd file to change the switches if you like. If adding a -d works for your purposes then add it.

The cmd file does not change the grldr flle - whatever you have on the USB drive is what will be on the ISO.

#41 Shoshi

Shoshi

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:38 PM

Is updating the grldr file all you need to do to update grub4dos? That is if I take the existing iso that was made in xboot and just replace that one file.

Edited by Shoshi, 25 February 2016 - 10:38 PM.

#42 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6943 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:49 PM

You can change version by just changing the \grldr file.

When preparing a USB drive and installing grub4dos, there are a few things to realise

1. RMPrepUSB uses a new version of grubinst.exe which creates a more compatible MBR boot sector than older versions.

2. You can install the boot code to the MBR and PBR or both. Some systems boot directly to the PBR.

3. RMPrepUSB can add a 2nd small partition (Boot as HDD C: option). This makes some BIOSes boot the USB drive as a hard disk instead of booting it as a floppy and hanging with a flashing cursor.

For E2B, I install to MBR and PBR and create the 2nd small hidden partition.

I also use a recent version of grub4dos 0.4.6a. I recommend using it because it has more features (e.g. understands UDF ISOs and has a USB 2.0 rd/wr driver + GPT support + debug features and new commands, etc. etc.). Also, if you do find a bug, it can be reported and fixed easily. Any bugs in old versions will obviously not be fixed and you will just be asked to use the latest version. However, bear in mind that many versions are buggy, so don't just use the latest version of 0.4.6a (or 0.4.5c) and think that is the 'released' version.

Any version used by E2B or RMPrepUSB in released versions (i.e. ones not ending in a lower case letter) should be OK.

#43 Shoshi

Shoshi

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:58 PM

Thanks for all of that awesome information. The new compilation is coming along terrifically. However I am having an issue booting Windows PE up via WIM. It boots fine on USB but it does not boot when in ISO.

I get an error 15. file not found. I have googled and found a few threads that have not been of much help. The following is what I am using to start Win PE

title Windows 10 PSE 64                           
find   --set-root   --ignore-floppies   --ignore-cd   /bootmgr
chainloader /bootmgr

#44 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6943 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:08 PM

you have --ignore-cd, so the first line wont see the cd?

Not sure if that is the problem though...

#45 Shoshi

Shoshi

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:46 PM

I figured it out!

It's literally this.

title Win10PESE

chainloader /BOOTMGR

#46 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6943 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:56 PM

find --set-root is not necessary when you know where the files are.

In fact, it can cause problems if the system has other disks which contain the same file - for instance, it might find \bootmgr on the hard disk and boot to that instead of the one on your CD - which is probably what iwas happening?

I would remove any  find commands from all your menus, if I were you.

#47 Shoshi

Shoshi

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:36 PM

Does the information here work with Windows 10 based PE's? http://www.rmprepusb.../multi_boot-wim

#48 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6943 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:39 PM

It should do.

P.S. E2B can boot from WIM and VHD files - just copy them onto the USB drive and boot! ;)

• memoarfaa likes this

#49 Shoshi

Shoshi

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:41 PM

Can I rename the wim files? When you say E2B you mean my compilation using the isoboot.g4b file? I am really only using that from E2B.

#50 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6943 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:47 PM

The wim files can be any name and in any folder (but keep the .wim file extension).

It uses QRUN.g4b and files in the  \_ISO\e2b\grub\DPMS\NTBOOT.MOD folder.

If you look at the QRUN.g4b file and find the  :.wim label, you will see how it works.

NTBOOT was written by Chenal and I modified it slightly. It needs a copy of bootmgr to be in the NTBOOT.MOD folder or the root too (not the WIN10 version of bootmgr).

Edited by steve6375, 26 February 2016 - 11:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users