4 replies to this topic

#1 BlackDragon

BlackDragon
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:39 PM

I have had my Toshiba laptop for around 4 years, and I recently bought an optical caddy for it. I placed the OEM drive in the caddy, and another HDD in the primary slot. Now the OEM drive is asking for a password every time I power on the PC. I know the password and it's no problem to enter it, but I don't ever remember putting an HDD password on it in the first place. My BIOS has no option to set an HDD password, only a User and Master/Supervisor pass. It doesn't matter which slot the OEM HDD is in, the password is requested no matter what. Zeroing out the drive and reflashing the BIOS hasn't helped. How can I get this off for good?

Thanks!

#2 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:53 PM

Are you sure that it's not somewhere under the SATA settings?  It might not actually say that there is a password set in the SATA password section  but instead of giving you just TWO lines to enter and repeat a password it will show THREE lines, for the PRESENT password and then two more lines for the  new and repeated password.

Either that or the HDD was set with a password on some other system and then moved?

#3 IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe

IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 555 posts
  • Interests:An investigation is underway to determine whether Trump has any ties to America.
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:08 AM

I know BD and can attest that the notebook isnt stolen. I also typed out his post for him because his spelling and grammar are atrocious. There are no settings for an HDD pass anywhere in his BIOS, only a Security tab that has entries for User and Supervisor/Master passwords. It seems to make no difference whether the User/Master passwords are set or not, the PC always requests an HDD pass for the Hitachi on powerup (even if not entering the BIOS. The pass is known, but we cant remember how it got there or when it was set. The drive is the original OEM drive that came with the laptop at purchase, and has never been in any other PC. All of this may not matter for long though, the drive is having issues and may need to be replaced soon.

#4 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4138 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:25 AM

I have had my Toshiba laptop for around 4 years, and I recently bought an optical caddy for it. I placed the OEM drive in the caddy, and another HDD in the primary slot.

The password might have needed to be removed before moving it to the caddy.

Now the OEM drive is asking for a password every time I power on the PC. I know the password and it's no problem to enter it, but I don't ever remember putting an HDD password on it in the first place.

How would you know the hdd password; if you say, you dont remember putting one on the hdd? :confused1:

My BIOS has no option to set an HDD password, only a User and Master/Supervisor pass. It doesn't matter which slot the OEM HDD is in, the password is requested no matter what. Zeroing out the drive and reflashing the BIOS hasn't helped. How can I get this off for good?

Thanks!

How about messing with the "User and Master/Supervisor pass". Set a pass then come back and redo the pass but leave it blank.

Normally there should be an option like:

Clip.jpg

Clip2.jpg

Is there a Windows utility toshiba or Hitachi makes to handle hhd password.

Sorta like this one for usb hdd

HDD Password Tool and Users Manual
http://support.toshi...ntentId=3572238
http://www.toshibast...om/hddpassword/

If the Laptop came with preinstalled utilities. Check and see if any relate to hdd setup.

If you have another laptop or Tower and in its bios it shows the option for setting hdd password. Try attaching only the hitachi drive and see if you can set the bios hdd password to blank "If you don't want a password, just press "enter" twice".

#5 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1338 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:16 PM

@BlackDragon
Try mhdd
http://hddguru.com/s...n.html#password
http://hddguru.com/s...agic-Boot-Disk/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users