#1 wozz

wozz
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:36 PM

Hi,

I would like to put the easy 2 boot onto a internal second hard drive instead of a USB device.

are there any simple instructions please ?

thanks in advance

ww

#2 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:48 PM

Easy 2 boot is designed for USB drives, with some Isos (usually Linux ones, but may be others) it makes use of the third partition to load and run them, so if you run it from an internal drive I see a very big risk to damage your actual partitions on your HDD's.

Assuming you are running Win7, I would suggest you better copy grldr and  grldr.mbr (from grub4dos 0.46a) to the boot partition and make your own menu.lst and using BootIce create an entrance to your BCD to boot from grub4dos. This is the way I boot several Isos (located on Isos folder on any partition of my HDD).

Another easier option is just copy grldr and your own menu.lst to Windows partition root and make a boot.ini file on boot partition as this:

Spoiler

Remember grub4dos do not run from UEFI - secure boot.

This is my menu.lst, you may use it as a reference:

Spoiler

EDIT: Fixed according to Wonko next post.

alacran

Edited by alacran, 31 January 2016 - 04:23 AM.

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:01 AM

Only to avoid the usual mess with names:

The project is called grub4dos (and not grubfordos, and not grubfor2).

Its "main" file is called grldr (and not grld).

:duff:

Wonko

#4 wozz

wozz
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:32 AM

Hi,

thanks for reply.

I really am not very technical with code and stuff, it is like I have half a brain !!!

My computer is a dell xps L702 with win 7 pro and a ssd and a second hard drive 500 GB.

Being as I just got the machine and had nothing on the second drive I took the drive out and connected it via USB and then put easy2boot on it and then put it back inside the machine.   I then shrunk the partition to 40GB with the easy2boot stuff on leaving whatever the other small partition thing was that was created and this left me the rest as my second hard drive .

Now if I want to get to the easytoboot menu I just hit F12 and select it.

Do you see any drawbacks with this ? or  should it be OK being as it was put on the drive first, and I have a 40GB space to put in iso's.

One other thing I tried to upgrade the dell xpx L702x to win 10 but it freezes at 23% all the time .. Any ideas from experience ( I do not want to be blinded by technical stuff) 

thanks for replies.

#5 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:22 PM

Just curious as to why you wanted to do this?  Is it simply to have easy access to like a Windows PE ISO to boot?

If so there is perhaps an easier alternative.  As pointed out earlier if you are boot EFI then this will not work at all and your second disk method is the way to go. Google up EasyBCD and install it.  In the lower half of the ADD NEW ENTRY menu is an entry that you can add an entry to an ISO for.  A lot of ISOs work, some wonky ones won't.  Add your ISO to the BCD menu and make sure you have the boot countdown enabled on the EDIT BOOT MENU of EasyBCD.  Your Win PE or whatever ISO you add now becomes a selection on your Windows boot menu.  I have it this way on all my systems and boot to my Win PE ISO for backups or maintenance as well as a few other ISO for other stuff. 

I also have Easy2Boot on various thumb and USB HDDs that I can boot to in case my system partition gets hosed and I can't access the normal boot menu.

#6 wozz

wozz
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:51 PM

I have used E2B on usb for years so thought it would be convenient to have it integrated into system.

Like I said with my brain it has got to be simple.

S o now I have an exlusive 40 GB partition where I can  throw in an iso and boot from it.

I may like to boot from a live linux iso a and have a mess about until I get frustrated because what is simple for experienced linux users can seem difficult for newbies.

eg I can boot from a porteus linux iso to check my battery repoprt because I do not have one in win 7.

Also I can fire up my paragon disk manager recovery iso and backup or restore or make increments.

and also now just throw in a clonezilla iso and see what that is all about.   

not to speak of games iso  that can be booted until bored.

It gives me the facility to have a range of bootable iso's integrated into my system which can be easily added to or deleted.

cheerz

#7 wozz

wozz
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:43 PM

Well That was the idea.

It boots to the manu fine

It tries to boot if something is selected but then error massages or freezes.

Might as well read bhagavad gita as it is (1972 edition)

#8 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:21 AM

Only to avoid the usual mess with names:

The project is called grub4dos (and not grubfordos, and not grubfor2).

Its "main" file is called grldr (and not grld).

:duff:

Wonko

Yes, you are right, I just fixed my post.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users