18 replies to this topic

#1 budmanwv

budmanwv
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:32 PM

I downloaded the WinBuilder program and Vista WAIK. I installed WAIK and then set the path to c:\program files\windows aik. I downloaded everything for VistaPE scripts and built the ISO. When I try to boot up I get the following:

Windows failed to start...

File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

I have built the ISO 3 times - once using a Vista Business upgrade DVD as the source and twice using the WAIK as the source. I also changed the Preconfig Script to ImageX on the last build. Am I missing something? Any ideas?

#2 budmanwv

budmanwv
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:01 AM

I decided to try building the ISO file on another system. Now I am getting a different error on bootup:

WIMFSF.SYS

Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area

Stop 0x00000050

I tried booting the CD in multiple systems with the same error.

#3 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:43 AM

I have some ideas for further debugging - but you will need to post your log.html in order to check details that can make a difference.

Try using a base path like c:\vistape

What is the difference between "Vista Business upgrade DVD" and a regular install DVD?

Can it also be used to install Vista from scratch? :confused1:

Good luck! :confused1:

#4 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:43 AM

budmanwv
Log please ...

Do you use boot.wim? "Finalizing" -> "Pack boot.wim"

#5 budmanwv

budmanwv
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:16 PM

OK, I've attached my log file from my desktop (still has the winload.exe error). I think that all of the Vista DVD's are the same and it just depends on what key you use as to what version you get when you install. But, just to make sure, I used my Vista Ultimate DVD as the source and got the same error.

My base path has been either D:\VistaPE or D:\WinBuilder (I tried both). I will try it on C: and see what I get.

Also, I do use the "pack boot.wim" option. I'll post the results from using C:\VistaPE as my base folder soon...

Thanks guys.

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.html   1.75MB   571 downloads

#6 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:25 PM

While you're testing - can you also try not adding any extra programs and just create a simple build?

Just to ensure that it's not a program interfering with your tests, haven't noticed any detail out of the usual, but then again I'm not very experienced with VistaPE, hope others can also help you debugging this matter.

:confused1:

#7 budmanwv

budmanwv
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:11 PM

OK, I have a working VistaPE CD now. Here is the only things that I changed:

1. I moved my base folder to C:\VistaPE.
2. Source was originally in %baseDir%\Source - now it is in a completely separate base folder.

So, it works but I don't know which of these 2 changes made a difference. I did not remove any applications or make any other changes.

Thanks for the help and let me know if you need any more info from me for testing...

#8 martinr

martinr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:15 PM

When I try to boot up I get the following:

Windows failed to start...

File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

Are you working in a FAT32 partition? If so, your problem may be solved by moving the files to an NTFS partition.

I have had this myself, and this cured it.

#9 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:15 PM

I'm really glad to hear you sucess on this step.. :confused1:

It would be very usefull if you could continue testing to see which step gives the erroneous results and maybe this way help others - or even fix-up the needed scripts.

Have you also disabled the programs or built with all of them included?

:confused1:

#10 budmanwv

budmanwv
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:06 PM

I did the build with all of the programs included. I'm currently working on building again to see which change that I made corrected the issue. I'll let you know what I find...

#11 budmanwv

budmanwv
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:40 PM

Finally finished my last build. I have narrowed the problem down to having the base directory on D: instead of C:

Thanks again for the help...

#12 martinr

martinr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 04:10 PM

Finally finished my last build. I have narrowed the problem down to having the base directory on D: instead of C:

Yes, but what is the difference between your C: and D: drives? Is one formatted as FAT and the other as NTFS?

#13 budmanwv

budmanwv
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 May 2007 - 10:38 PM

I tried building the image on 2 systems. Both are up to date with patches. Here are the specs:

Dell Latitude D820
- 100GB SATA Drive
- 2 Partitions
- C: and D: are both NTFS
- Running Vista Business

Dell Optiplex GX270
- 80GB IDE - C: and D: - C: is NTFS, D: is FAT32
- 40GB IDE - E: - storage for ISO file
- Running XP SP2

I do have another system that is a home built Pentium D with multiple drives. I may have time this weekend to try to build an ISO on that one. If so, I will post the results.

Is there any other info that you need?

#14 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 May 2007 - 12:39 AM

I build on drive E without problems. All my drives are NTFS.

#15 martinr

martinr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:15 PM

@ budmanwv
The best explanation that I can give for your winload.exe problem is that the imagex /capture command does not appear to work on a FAT32 drive, although it does on an NTFS drive. VistaPE calls this command in the [PackBoot] section of Standard-6-Finalizing.script.

So, when your %baseDir% was on a FAT32 drive, you had the problem, but when you moved to an NTFS drive, it went away.

The moral is: always use NTFS when building VistaPE!

#16 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:58 PM

From the WIndows AIK docs:

You can mount a .wim file with read/write permissions only on an NTFS file system. This avoids the 2-gigabyte (GB) barrier imposed by FAT file systems and prevents data loss that is possible with FAT or other non-NTFS file systems.

Note:
Although ImageX can mount a .wim file with read/write permissions only from an NTFS file system, you can mount your image as read-only from NTFS, FAT, ISO, and UDF file systems. You cannot save changes to the image file while it is mounted as read-only.

#17 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:18 PM

Maybe a FAT32 warning label should be placed on VistaPE's script.project for other users understand this requirement? :confused1:

#18 Carlos do Brasil

Carlos do Brasil
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 10 June 2007 - 06:28 AM

I have 3 partitions in FAT32 and it is true that with WinBuilder I don't get to conclude my projects, gives mistake of Winload. exe but if I use the tool Windows AIK he works perfectly.

#19 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:07 PM

From the WIndows AIK docs:

You can mount a .wim file with read/write permissions only on an NTFS file system. This avoids the 2-gigabyte (GB) barrier imposed by FAT file systems and prevents data loss that is possible with FAT or other non-NTFS file systems.

Note:
Although ImageX can mount a .wim file with read/write permissions only from an NTFS file system, you can mount your image as read-only from NTFS, FAT, ISO, and UDF file systems. You cannot save changes to the image file while it is mounted as read-only.

I am able to mount a .wim file for editing on a fat32 file system..

I use the following command...

imagex /mountrw c:\winpe\*.wim 1 c:\winpe\mount

where *.wim = the wim being edited and c:\winpe\mount is the mountpoint

make sure when doing changes to do the following

imagex /unmount /commit c:\winpe\mount

where c:\winpe\mount is the mountpoint..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users