#1 Spaps

Spaps
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:12 PM

Hello.

I am trying to set up an USB flash drive, based on Grub4dos, with two options to choose from: boot to MS-DOS and boot to WinXP PE.

Now I have my UFD with the Grub4dos menu, MS-DOS booting works properly, I've tried making the ISO of WinXP PE, but it didn't really work, as it gave a bluescreen (used BartPE). Also, I would prefer if it was a clean XP PE, with a possibility of adding my own programs. 

I have an original WinXP Home Premium CD, the UFD would be used as a fixing/scanning flash drive.

#2 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:34 PM

I've tried making the ISO of WinXP PE, but it didn't really work, as it gave a bluescreen (used BartPE).

Add a appropiate driver.

title mem Loading F6 firadisk and BartPE.ISO
ls /BartPE/BartPE.ISO || find --set-root /BartPE/BartPE.ISO
map --mem /BartPE/FiraDisk.IMA (fd0)
map --mem /BartPE/BartPE.ISO (0xFF)
map --hook
chainloader (0xFF)/I386/SETUPLDR.BIN
http://reboot.pro/fo...s-firadisk-etc/

#3 Spaps

Spaps
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:22 PM

Okay now, I've gone another way, I have an ISO of WinXP, and have it connected to Grub4DOS to boot it, but there's another problem now: 

I need to be able to boot MS-DOS from the same menu: I have partitioned the flash drive, and now have Grub4DOS and WinXP iso on (hd0,0) and DOS (not an image) on (hd0,1). I am able to run DOS with 

title MS-DOS
root (hd0,1)
chainloader (hd0,1)/io.sys

but it asks for a command interpreter path after booting. Also, DOS sees the Grub4DOS partition as C:, but DOS is installed on D:. 

I need a way to set the root for DOS to (hd0,1), also, will it automatically detect COMMAND.COM?

tl;dr

need Grub4DOS menu.lst code for setting root for DOS.

#4 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:25 PM

I need to be able to boot MS-DOS from the same menu:

Sorry, I'be no experience with grub4dos DOS boot.
Hopefully another can help.

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:13 PM

Spaps,

please try describing your COMPLETE current setup and what is your actual "final" goal, DOS wants to be booted from the (first) active partition (i.e. "C:\") see also:

http://www.msfn.org/...-compatibility/

most probably (it depends from a number of factors) it may be enough to set the (hd0,1) as the Active partition (permanently) or to include a set or unset command for it in each of your menu.lst entries, consider how if you are using the grub4dos "installed" (to the MBR+a few hidden sectors) there is no need for the partition containing grub4dos to be active, the grldr will be found anyway.  

:duff:

Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users