Photo
- - - - -

Boot an encrypted VHD based using Grub4Dos?

bootable vhd grub4dos truecrypt

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 msalsal

msalsal
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:13 AM

Hi,

I want to boot my computer from a bootable VHD based on Windows 8.1. The non-encrypted version of this VHD boots successfully using Grub4Dos with no problem. It has just one NTFS partition. The Disk Management utility shows both of famous Boot and System partitions on drive C:.
I encrypted the VHD by adding another partition like the configuration used by Windows:
1- 350 MB FAT32
2- NTFS with Windows 8.1

Then I encrypted this VHD using Oracle VirtualBox. The encrypted VHD boots with no problem under VirtualBox (Boot partition on drive FAT32 and System on NTFS); but the problem is that Grub4Dos cannot boot it successfully. After Truecrypt bootloader (settled on hard disk's MBR) asks the encryption password, booting process continues and after a while a BSOD blue screen is shown. :confused1:
I searched a lot to find a solution, but nothing found.
Here is the script of grub4dos I use in my job. I'm novice in Grub script and this script was originally created by another software when feeding it with non-encrypted vhd.

title Portable W832USP1.vhd - FiraDisk FILEDISK - 2.5 GB
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /W832USP1.vhd
map --heads=255 --sectors-per-track=63 --mem (md)0x800+4 (99)
map /W832USP1.vhd (hd0)
map --hook
write (99) [FiraDisk]\nStartOptions=disk,vmem=find:/W832USP1.vhd,boot;\n\0
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0)+1
map --status

The third line shows some warnings around auto-detection of VHD disk info such as sector-per-track and heads no. But the non-encrypted VHD boots with no problem in spite of that.

What is the problem with my solution?. Where am I wrong here? :dubbio:Do I need to follow another approach or ...?

Thanks

#2 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:34 PM

Try this way, do not encript the VHD, just put a password for the user account, then to run it you have to enter the password, but that is done by Windows after booting and you may avoid problems during boot.

alacran

#3 msalsal

msalsal
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:02 AM

Hi,

There is a critical need to encrypt VHD, because it bans the user or attacker to change or manipulate VHD from outside by mounting it in another host :happy_dance: .

I suspect that there is a trick to change the script so that its VHD loading or mounting mechansim would be able to boot encrypted VHD with success. I am novice in Grub script and do not know how to find that trick or magical set of instructions. :dubbio:

Anybody help

Thanks

#4 msalsal

msalsal
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:07 AM

There is a critical need for me to encrypt the VHD. I want to ban the users or attackers to manipulate VHD from another host by mounting it.

I seek for a trick or magical set of Grub instructions so that my encrypted VHD boots with success; or maybe, a change in VHD configuration to solve the problem.

Anybody related help is welcome

Thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bootable vhd, grub4dos, truecrypt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users