• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Uneitohr

Uneitohr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:35 PM

I need to build a boot.wim containing both x64 and x86 architectures in order to support some cmd applications.

What would be the best way to achieve this?

What I tried so far is to create VHD drives, placing each boot.wim (x64 and x86) in a separate vhd, while having a third one for merging them. I copied everything off x64 boot.wim and then copied the contents of System32 off x86 and placed it in SysWOW64. Applications did not work correctly.

Thank you.

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14913 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:45 PM

I need to build a boot.wim containing both x64 and x86 architectures in order to support some cmd applications.

Not really-really, you need maybe to "support some cmd application", whether this needs to go through having a .wim with both a x64 and x86 architecture is another thing.

Maybe if you post some details on what you need to "support" there could be an easier solution, I am not understanding your plan of the three .vhd's :unsure:

More or less what you seemingly want is an x32 PE and a x64 PE wth the 32 bit subsystem (WOW64) working, right? :dubbio:

There are a few projects that add the WOW64 subsystem to a x64 PE:

http://reboot.pro/to...bit-windows-pe/

BUT at the moment there is none supporting Windows 10 source:

http://reboot.pro/to...stype/?p=193559

so which PE version you want to buid, 2,3,4  or later makes an additional difference.

:duff:

Wonko 

#3 Uneitohr

Uneitohr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:53 PM

I'll be using PE 5.1 (windows 8.1).

I really really need an AIO image because those some applications that I'm using now, might not be there tomorrow. Maybe 2 days from now I'll be adding some new applications and so on. It'll help me a lot more to make it support everything, rather than support some things.

I am not understanding your plan of the three .vhd's :unsure:

It is simple: I cannot extract/apply the .wim directly on the drive--can't delete it afterwards due to permissions. So i;m mounting them on VHD so that if I make a mistake/or need to extract again, I just format the vhd and just extract them--no headaches.

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14913 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:21 AM

Of course cannot really say if it fits the bill, but maybe you would be "better served" by something like this:

http://reboot.pro/to...ct-make-mini-8/

Not a Pe, but rather a "portable" install on VHD.

:duff:

Wonko

#5 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1000 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:47 AM

This project let you build a 8.1PE (Iso or USB) dual x86&x64, you need to run it twice making one architecture first and then during second build it can merge both in a single *.wim the first build is stored in Boot\IMG\*.wim   I have done it. During boot you can select wich one you want to boot.

Google for Win8.1SE

Best Regards

alacran

EDIT: The first build is stored in Boot\IMG\*.wim, just opened the Iso with 7zip v9.38 Beta to check this, and the second *.wim file as usually in sources folder, so they are not merged.

Edited by alacran, 12 September 2015 - 10:20 AM.

#6 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1000 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:17 PM

AFAIK if there are more than one indexes in a *.wim file only one can be bootable, so I think this is the reazon way they do nor merge the two architectures x86 and x64 in a single *.wim file, because if you merge them then you could boot only from one of them and not the other.

Best Regards

alacran

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users