Windows 7 gets new updates to spy as much as Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:01 AM

I wanted to try out the new Windows 10 but was still afraid of upgrading because they would blatantly spy my computer.

Now, Microsoft solved that worry. Windows 7 will now automatically install equivalent spying updates, so both versions are similar and I can now upgrade without really being afraid of losing privacy, because it is already lost anyways.

Thank you Microsoft. :good:

Samsung-laptop-702x336.jpg

This being the case, many Windows users who are not happy with Windows 10 spying ways and have preferred to stay on with Windows 7/Windows 8 and Window 8.1 as the case might be. For these Windows 7/8/8.1 users there are a few updates which Microsoft has been pushing through last few days.

http://www.techworm....windows-10.html

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:40 AM

Sure, the difference being that it is easy to block those updates on 7:

http://www.msfn.org/...inst-your-will/

tough most probably it is (and will be) a moving target :w00t: :ph34r:

:duff:

Wonko

• Brito likes this

#3 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:31 PM

Disabling windows features is one way (but can indeed be a moving target) or else use a firewall to allow only specific processes on your LAN and Internet.

I have had a few malwares/viruses/spywares in the past and now I am rather paranoid and want to control which process does what on my network.

It is quite a constraint at first but once your rules are set, you forget about it until a new process wants to reach out of my computer.

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:02 PM

Disabling windows features is one way (but can indeed be a moving target) or else use a firewall to allow only specific processes on your LAN and Internet.

I have had a few malwares/viruses/spywares in the past and now I am rather paranoid and want to control which process does what on my network.

It is quite a constraint at first but once your rules are set, you forget about it until a new process wants to reach out of my computer.

I don't see the two approaches as "contrasting", the "firewall" only approach is not good by itself as you will have anyway a number of running services that will send data to "nowhere", all three steps need to be taken:

1. prevent the stupid updates to download
  2. if not possible prevent the stupid services from running
  3. if not possible prevent the stupid data to go anywhere

Wonko

#5 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:13 PM

About the firewall part, I can share my experience with Tinywall : free and lightweight (2 prerequisites for me).

There for sure some other alternatives out there.

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:23 PM

Though it doesn't really matter in practice :) since it is designed for Vista :ph34r: or later "full installs" that will have the anyway the bloated subsystem :w00t:, you shouldn't call any .Net based program "lightweight" :whistling:.

Wonko

#7 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:41 PM

I use it on windows 8.1 x64.

Download is 1mb and, probably because I had dotnet installed already, took 30 secs.

Still, I have no particular interest into marketing this specific software (apart from me using it).

But indeed, free and "native" would even be better.

#8 Tripredacus

Tripredacus

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:K-Mart-ian Legend
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:35 PM

I haven't let any updates install since the news originally came out that you could update to Windows 10 through Windows Update. As time goes on, it seems there are even more things being pushed that I do not want. Phew.

#9 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:52 PM

why not writing an program who sniff this updates,

if install, able to remove,

block if try install and give an warning

"Win7 'Homer's' security Program"

kick away the "radioactive Shit" *g*

an program for the users who want not spyed out

and want hold his win7 up to Reactos able to use :) ;) hihi

personally my opinion .. Microsoft take the hand very deep in the full bullshit pile

with this silence in the "back" spy out the Computers from the hole users

and name this "windows update"

and lie there with the whole Users into the whole world on.

incredible !

best regards

Blacky

• Brito likes this

#10 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:04 PM

I would be a less harsh than the regular user on that particular case :

-if you dont like a software, dont use it

-if you install a software, read the licence (I am under the impression MS is being quite honest here)

-if you are paranoid about what goes out of your computer, no one prevents you from taking action

#11 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:04 PM

As long as a computer is directly connected to the Internet, it's simply impossible to avoid data fluctuation! Even the best Security software for Windows has it's loopholes and will let you data going out not really able to know where will go!  

It requires a separate computer (Server in the DMZ) with two network cards (network switch after )  DHCP server- Linux on it and firewall - IP tables or combined with Moblock and  millions of IP ranges in  block to protect Windows PC's from WAN.

I personally use  at home  :

Anti-Infringement        I-Blocklist    
Spammers     I-Blocklist
Pedophiles         I-Blocklist
Microsoft               Bluetack
badpeers               Bluetack    
dshield               Bluetack    
ads                     Bluetack
level1                   Bluetack
proxy                   Bluetack
rangetest               Bluetack
spyware               Bluetack
webexploit                 Bluetack

https://www.iblockli...ategory=general

For business purposes  is the same principle- but is much bigger list, and much more powerful hardware to serve that  :juggler: 

That is how we can get rid of Telemetry and Microsoft, but even then not 100%. :crazyrocker:

#12 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:02 PM

the only good solution is to use some hardware firewall , some are coming with antivirus , like the usg40 that i use
http://www.zyxel.com...0w_40.shtml?t=p
it never found any virus yet and did not clean any spyware ...

beside that there is a dude that make a very update pack for win 7 x86 and x64
http://update7.simplix.info/
http://forum.oszone....ead-257198.html

he made it by hand...so there is no the spies from M$...
i use it when i create an install for a computer and then make a grub4dos-ram-vhd ...that can not be infected at boot
we all know there are holes and this is the way to prevent hackers of using it all time after one hack...
with an installed in ram os . he has to do some hack at each reboot...something impossible

edit : he added the bads updates..so previous pack should be used ...
link is : http://update7.simpl...7R2-15.7.20.exe

#13 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:43 PM

the only good solution is to use some hardware firewall

Good but not the best , especially if is the multipractic device where you need to perform more operations at the same time.

In my case i have long time Mikrotik RB951G-2HnD- have radius server for Wi-Fi -and everything is great until it connects more than 10 devices at same time.

There's no way that i can to insert  all that block lists and radius server to all work properly in same time.Because there are  hardware limits - only 128MB of ram and single 600Mhz CPU as buget hardware firewall/gateway...

I have now i5 and 16GB RAM at home for firewall/gateway machine (mini PC) . 

GA-H97N-WIFI-mini-ITX-645x566.jpg

Replaced Wi-Fi card with Mikrotik R11e-2HnD

Well, that works as required :buehehe:

#14 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:30 PM

wi-fi is not reliable , plus it has not 1500 octects packet plus it is always cracked...

when you have 10 lan users ...that is "pro"..and so you need better hardware...

the zyxel is not that bad , but it lacks a big "option" that i asked them to add this summer .

it has a usb 2 port to extend its internal cache , after having bandwith trouble because of the permanent downloading that win10 DOES .

i asked zyxel to make update of windows and linux manageable by the usg40 , i mean that at least it downloads files onto the usb and keep them so when a second pc ask to get the files it gets one from the usb ...

according to "firewall" definition : that is the job of a box like that....but despite a recent update function is still not implemented...

may be anyone knows a firmware or a router that handle updates and usb sticks ?

#15 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:40 PM

wi-fi is not reliable , plus it has not 1500 octects packet plus it is always cracked...

When you have a house full of children with mobile phones & iPads as me, you  do not have much choices  :buehehe:

#16 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:17 AM

the only good solution is to use some hardware firewall , some are coming with antivirus , like the usg40 that i use
http://www.zyxel.com...0w_40.shtml?t=p
it never found any virus yet and did not clean any spyware ...

beside that there is a dude that make a very update pack for win 7 x86 and x64
http://update7.simplix.info/
http://forum.oszone....ead-257198.html

he made it by hand...so there is no the spies from M$...
i use it when i create an install for a computer and then make a grub4dos-ram-vhd ...that can not be infected at boot
we all know there are holes and this is the way to prevent hackers of using it all time after one hack...
with an installed in ram os . he has to do some hack at each reboot...something impossible

edit : he added the bads updates..so previous pack should be used ...
link is : http://update7.simpl...7R2-15.7.20.exe

well, maybe should you speak with him, for remove the package and invite him there to reboot.pro..

and an english (or for my sake a german page, if he hate the states ;) ) would be not bad ,

because not the world speaks russian ;)

For my personally , i don't trust the german winfuture.de updatepacks,

because Winfuture works together with the german MS and an description

like i have see, don't exist in winfuture.de ...

(for info, american is still the occupying power, because a war contract don't exist still not and therewith it is still "Factory German")

how ever ..

it can many writes in the Eula, but tell it the Peoples who don't like read so many lines ..

well, you can read it, but if a factory (and different facility's) works with the "laziness" of the Human,

it's more bad as only write one truth set as Eula:

"All right's on Microsoft and the American State's and they can spy out you Electrical informations"

something like this it's really ,really treatable, because it's the truth ! you know ..

or want you read 1000 pages before you sign the contract ? well, then much fun *g*

best regards

Blacky

#17 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:56 AM

@Blackcrack i am sure he will remove the concerned updates in a next release or so , now that everybody is aware of their hidden function ;']

@Mikorist : i hate mobiles as well as wifi ; i turn mine off 99% of the time . your mainboard for wifi is may be not the best solution .

you should read https://en.wikipedia...e_communication

to find that wifi in home can troubles with electricity

so i would install three of four routers 100 mb/s with wi-fi in the house , may be interconnected by "Power-line communication (PLC) plugs" so antennas would be in low power , while using only one antenna means full-force power ...and radiations for it and the "mobile phones & iPads" , something very not good for children...

in my choice of routers , i would take one that can be flashed with the dd-wrt firmware that is far far better than the dlink one [ only one i know well ] 

here is one for $25 being flashed with openwrt 

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4aefad52f9

i have no idea how much you spent for the mobo....but for $100 you could have made something nice and cool ...

here is its antenna lol

http://www.ebay.com/...=item462be66ed1

#18 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:19 PM

Large majority of users won't be checking the updates being downloaded, nor will they be informed that Windows 7 is installing spying software. Quite sad that people want to use Windows and at the same time can't trust its maker. :(

• Blackcrack likes this

#19 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:01 PM

I'm not sure currently, whether all my data collected at M$ (og Google, or ...) bring real harm for me.

I sometimes find that funny.

Example: Some weeks ago i googled a bit for new toner for my Konika-Minolta printer, and finally bought a set after some days.

When I'm now browsing in any of the "recording" sites like google, amazon etc. I get popup ads about Konika-Minolta toner.

Are the site managers so stupid?

They do not realize, that I do not need any more toner after I bought one set?

On the other hand: They do not try to offer me a "better" printer or something else. They now know my model and could offer a "superfragilisticexpliallegotic" one.

When after one year, the question of toner may be actual again, there is surelly no popup about that.

So I treate all this spying carefully observing, but really relaxed.

Peter

#20 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:25 PM

you are living the tracking "enabled" of browser...

usa citizens are known to hate their gov and others big brands ....

usa is the main protector of usrahell that turned palestine into a big nazi camp for nearly a century .

the actual crisis with europe and people coming from syria , irak area is the result of the "gw bush war and its own home made 9/11/2001" with and for usrahell . europe being the servant without brain of the usa ...

usa is mostly made with gun lovers and users , like australia that was a prison ...england used this new land to stock her bad ...plus with time , usa gets more and more people that need some virginity to not go in jail...

do you see the big difference with australia and north america versus south america .

one side have only "whites" , while the indians of the south are happy and also president of country...

the famous melting pot or american dream ...that advertising and at final , some big lies to make idiot come there with all he got and be an easy prey...

usa is like a lot of movies , PAIN and GAIN is a good one based on a true story , i saw it these last days : there are some big stars inside ..

https://www.youtube....y=pain and gain

what i mean , is they are free but in fact un-educated , no one force them to follow the good rules and that does not come from itself ...

so in their mind : steal , lie is the right way of living...

brad pitt , clowney , madonna ...are or were all leaving in europe ...

that sad M$ felt on the bad side of the force...but not trying to resist like you do Nuno is worse

FUCK AMERICA Man or it will fuck you like Matrixxx or USraHELL..

#21 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:28 PM

I sometimes find that funny.

Example: Some weeks ago i googled a bit for new toner for my Konika-Minolta printer, and finally bought a set after some days.

When I'm now browsing in any of the "recording" sites like google, amazon etc. I get popup ads about Konika-Minolta toner.

Are the site managers so stupid?
They do not realize, that I do not need any more toner after I bought one set?

On the other hand: They do not try to offer me a "better" printer or something else. They now know my model and could offer a "superfragilisticexpliallegotic" one.

When after one year, the question of toner may be actual again, there is surely no popup about that.

Yep, I tend to do a couple of "random searches" on monday and then enjoy all week related ads (which of course I never use/click upon), lately I use "drones" as keyword (though very few things I could be less interested in than "drones") and for the whole week I get served nice pictures of small quad and hex copters.

IMNSHO they have not (yet) fully understood the difference between wheat and chaff (and I am not the only one):
https://blogs.law.ha...heat-and-chaff/

Wonko

#22 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:35 PM

Yep, I tend to do a couple of "random searches" on monday and then enjoy all week related ads (which of course I never use/click upon), lately I use "drones" as keyword (though very few things I could be less interested in than "drones") and for the whole week I get served nice pictures of small quad and hex copters.

IMNSHO they have not (yet) fully understood the difference between wheat and chaff (and I am not the only one):
https://blogs.law.ha...heat-and-chaff/

Wonko

:thumbup:

The link you gave had very interesting content.

(But as you know me, because I do not like to read much, I finished at about 60%.

I hope that I missed not too many important facts! :cheers:)

Peter

#23 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:42 PM

you are living the tracking "enabled" of browser...

usa citizens are known to hate their gov and others big brands ....

usa is the main protector of usrahell that turned palestine into a big nazi camp for nearly a century .

the actual crisis with europe and people coming from syria , irak area is the result of the "gw bush war and its own home made 9/11/2001" with and for usrahell . europe being the servant without brain of the usa ...

usa is mostly made with gun lovers and users , like australia that was a prison ...england used this new land to stock her bad ...plus with time , usa gets more and more people that need some virginity to not go in jail...

do you see the big difference with australia and north america versus south america .

one side have only "whites" , while the indians of the south are happy and also president of country...

the famous melting pot or american dream ...that advertising and at final , some big lies to make idiot come there with all he got and be an easy prey...

usa is like a lot of movies , PAIN and GAIN is a good one based on a true story , i saw it these last days : there are some big stars inside ..

https://www.youtube....y=pain and gain

what i mean , is they are free but in fact un-educated , no one force them to follow the good rules and that does not come from itself ...

so in their mind : steal , lie is the right way of living...

brad pitt , clowney , madonna ...are or were all leaving in europe ...

that sad M$ felt on the bad side of the force...but not trying to resist like you do Nuno is worse

FUCK AMERICA Man or it will fuck you like Matrixxx or USraHELL..

I'm now writing as moderator: That is very emotional and may contain some really valid aspects.

But IMO it is not a post to be written in a technical forum.

You should think about deleting it.

Peter :cheers:

#24 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:49 PM

Well, most probably you missed this document (rather important actually):
https://www.asc.upen...ffFallacy_2.pdf
(as it is linked towards the end of the article) a study which essentially debunks the assumption/perception of a legitimate trade-off between loss of privacy and free services.

WARNING: NOT suitable to be read by sixcentgeorge.

Wonko

#25 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:04 PM

pscex or may i should write pc:sex ..if i had to make a joke..

we talk about the usa and what they give to us ["mostly bombs"]

you should try to watch the movie pain and gain ; you will see how easy it is for some usa citizens with no-brain to make someone disappear and take all he  have .., the first rich played by the monk actor survives , but the thiefs killed a man and his wife when all the money from monk was gone...in this story there is also a woman that was a queen beauty from est europe..

of course they all snif coke...

i know this IS NOT the dream of the happy for ever after...but real life...

if you want to Matrixxx and let motherfuckers make your tomb...let go and close your eyes ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users