1 reply to this topic

#1 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:51 PM

I've rescued a couple of old computers (both Core2Duo-based) from the storage room at work for use with my students. I'm a primary teacher: my students arew 7, 8 years old and don't believe you can use just a keyboard--no mouse--to achieve much of anything on a computer.

Anyway, I wanted to run DOS on them. Downloaded and burnt the *.iso for FreeDOS 1.1 and was able to successfully install it on the first machine. The second, tho', causes problems. When I go to install it it tells me it can't find the required package ... when it's up to installing kernelx. It asks if I wish to continue to the installation. The same error pops up for most of the 'base' aspects of the installer. If I continue installation FreeDOS, naturally, doesn't boot. It tells me there's no kernel. Any ideas?

Out of frustration and curiosity I tried installing FreeDOS 1.0. 1.0 installs and boots without a hitch but introduces another problem into the mix: it won't recognise the CD drive.

#2 wendy

wendy

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 290 posts
  • Interests:Operating systems, Weights and Measures, Geometry
  •  
    Australia

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:14 AM

Have a look around for something like GCDROM.SYS. 

DOS uses IDE mode, so you could install the cdrom into the IDE channel, and set BIOS to emulate the IDE in place of SATA, 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users