17 replies to this topic

#1 wisefa13

wisefa13
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Singapore

Posted 16 August 2015 - 11:37 AM

So I got the error 13, been searching online for days and can't seems to find the solution for my case

1) root (hd0,0) and nothing happens

2) ls /Windows/Boot/PCAT/bootmgr and i get error 15 file not found

3) chainloader /Windows/Boot/PCAT/bootmgr same error 15

4) boot and I get error 8, Kenel must be loaded before booting

The solution is to get wind 7 dvd and to run the window repair but i lost my disc after moving house, and all the original window online download sites had been removed, directing to the main microsoft website but i do not have my serial key to download it.

Need help ):  Wonko are you there????

- - - - 

Are there any ways to fix my problem?

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15065 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:14 PM

Well, maybe you can give us some context.
Like how/when this happened, what is your partitioning setup, etc.
My crystal ball is a bit foggy today, but it is possible that you have a two partitions Windows 7 setup and that the issue is caused by having installed the Spyhunter crap. :unsure:

If this is the case, wait a few minutes, I am just about posting a (hopefully) "final guide" for such cases.

:duff:
Wonko

P.S.: Done, here:
http://reboot.pro/to...s-7-unbootable/

#3 wisefa13

wisefa13
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Singapore

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:39 PM

Well, maybe you can give us some context.
Like how/when this happened, what is your partitioning setup, etc.
My crystal ball is a bit foggy today, but it is possible that you have a two partitions Windows 7 setup and that the issue is caused by having installed the Spyhunter crap. :unsure:

If this is the case, wait a few minutes, I am just about posting a (hopefully) "final guide" for such cases.

Wonko

P.S.: Done, here:
http://reboot.pro/to...s-7-unbootable/

It happened like two days ago, I was doing system restore and after that i got some bootmgr error so i ignored it, computer continue to function  But the next day when I boot up my computer, i start getting those error 13, I did windows update (could this be the causal of the missing bootmgr?) or it's because of the system restore.

What does two partitions means?  I only have one windows 7 os, i didn't installed the spyhunter crap too ):

I've read tons of your magnificent guides, but for my case i've tried countless ways.   

I got my friend to burn ubuntu and win7 on two seperate dvd-r, and I pressed f11 to boot disc but it still brings me to the error 13 screen ):  could it be my bios settings???  I did made disc the #1 boot

After that I thought i should try alternate methods, hence I bought a usb flashdrive and put the ubuntu.iso in it and choose to boot usb key, but fail ):

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15065 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:48 PM

Well, grub4dos certainly is not delivered by windows update, and certainly doesn't install itself from thin air, *somehow* you must have installed it.
"error 13" means nothing by itself, it is the feedback that grub4dos provides to a given command, possibly it is some command in the embedded menu.lst (if the grub4dos is a modified version) or in the actual menu.lst.
The ls command failing with error 15 is normal since you seemingly are in a condition where you have no root established or you establish it to the "wrong" partition.
Try running the commands in the screenshot I posted on the mentioned thread:
find /boot/BCD
and:
find /windows/boot/pcat/bootmgr
What are the results?

Wonko

#5 wisefa13

wisefa13
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Singapore

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:54 PM

Sir, I do not know how to thank you.  Been finding ways to fix it for two days.. and after reading your guide

A simple

find --set-root /windows/boot/pcat/bootmgr
chainloader
--edx=0x0080 /windows/boot/pcat/bootmgr
boot

fixed the WHOLE issue..... spent all my online googling, burning multiple OS on disc... even resort to buying a flash drive to see if I could boot from the disc.

Much thanks, million gratitude.

God bless 

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15065 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 August 2015 - 01:02 PM

No problem, glad to have contributed to a happy bunny :).

Now you will need anyway to fix the "normal" booting, some hints are given here:
http://reboot.pro/to...lp-grub-screen/
http://reboot.pro/to...creen/?p=191077

If you have not clear the current situation, or if you have any doubts, ask for help BEFORE modifying anything.

Wonko

#7 wisefa13

wisefa13
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Singapore

Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:47 AM

No problem, glad to have contributed to a happy bunny :).

Now you will need anyway to fix the "normal" booting, some hints are given here:
http://reboot.pro/to...lp-grub-screen/
http://reboot.pro/to...creen/?p=191077

If you have not clear the current situation, or if you have any doubts, ask for help BEFORE modifying anything.

Wonko

Sir, after I input the

find --set-root /windows/boot/pcat/bootmgr
chainloader
--edx=0x0080 /windows/boot/pcat/bootmgr
boot

The computer rebooted and began to work, do I still need to follow the two links you sent? 

#8 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15065 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:36 AM

Sir, after I input the

The computer rebooted and began to work, do I still need to follow the two links you sent? 

Well, it depends on what happens when you reboot it.

Do you have to issue again the set of grub4dos commands or does it boot "normally" (or "as before")? :dubbio:

It is possible that the *whatever* brought you to the grub4dos "error 13" was *something* that only happens once and did not "return" or it is possible that it made some "permanent" settigns that will continue creating the same issue at every reboot.

The given set of commands does not change *anything* so if you do not get anymore in that "error 13" situation, it means that you could have exited it originally by simply rebooting. :unsure: 

Wonko

#9 wisefa13

wisefa13
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Singapore

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:25 PM

Well, it depends on what happens when you reboot it.

Do you have to issue again the set of grub4dos commands or does it boot "normally" (or "as before")? :dubbio:

It is possible that the *whatever* brought you to the grub4dos "error 13" was *something* that only happens once and did not "return" or it is possible that it made some "permanent" settigns that will continue creating the same issue at every reboot.

The given set of commands does not change *anything* so if you do not get anymore in that "error 13" situation, it means that you could have exited it originally by simply rebooting. :unsure:

Wonko

As of now my cpu functions normally. 

I do not have any issue and it boots normally as before.  No idea what caused me the problem, I'm guessing the system restore didn't restored properly?? 

No idea what was the cause or what's the condition of it now, but your magical codes seems to fixed it for good, hopefully.  *fingers crossed*

Thank you!

#10 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15065 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:26 PM

No idea what caused me the problem, I'm guessing the system restore didn't restored properly?? 

No idea what was the cause or what's the condition of it now,...

No, system restore is not "involved" with grub4dos, though some third party tools (partition managers, backup tools and similar) may use a version (or another) of grub4dos, often renamed to something else, example:
http://reboot.pro/to...in10-downgrade/
http://reboot.pro/to...de/#entry193942

Actually the cause of it is IMHO of the utter importance.

It could have been a (perfectly legitimate) third party tool changing (evidently in a temporary manner) the booting sequence to carry some "pre-OS-boot" (again perfectly legitimate) activities or it could have been some "rogue" piece of malware attempting to plant a rootkit or similar.

If I were you I would do a complete scan of the system to find is any copy of grub4dos is still there and possibly find out in which context/by what program it has been deployed/installed (again there is no reason to be preoccupied by the presence of a grub4dos, but there must be a reason why it is there), besides a more generic, thorough scan for malware/viruses/etc.

Wonko

#11 wisefa13

wisefa13
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Singapore

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:14 AM

No, system restore is not "involved" with grub4dos, though some third party tools (partition managers, backup tools and similar) may use a version (or another) of grub4dos, often renamed to something else, example:
http://reboot.pro/to...in10-downgrade/
http://reboot.pro/to...de/#entry193942

Actually the cause of it is IMHO of the utter importance.

It could have been a (perfectly legitimate) third party tool changing (evidently in a temporary manner) the booting sequence to carry some "pre-OS-boot" (again perfectly legitimate) activities or it could have been some "rogue" piece of malware attempting to plant a rootkit or similar.

If I were you I would do a complete scan of the system to find is any copy of grub4dos is still there and possibly find out in which context/by what program it has been deployed/installed (again there is no reason to be preoccupied by the presence of a grub4dos, but there must be a reason why it is there), besides a more generic, thorough scan for malware/viruses/etc.

Wonko

Any recommendation on what program I should use for the scan?

#12 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15065 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:53 AM

Well, a "light" scan would mean look for all files (including "hidden" ones) that contain "ldr" in the filename.

A "hard" one would mean look for all files (including "hidden" ones), let's say between 128 and 350 Kb, with the string "grub" (case insensitive) inside them.

The "hardest" one would be to scan the whole disk, sector by sector for the same string.

You can use almost *any* file search tool for the first two, if there is no "malware" cause you will easily find the grub4dos related files.

For the last you will need some "dedicated" tool, but just do a test with the first two before.

Since you likely have NTFS volumes, for the first type of search one of the fast finding tools, some listed/linked to here:

http://reboot.pro/to...y-that-is-fast/

would do nicely.

Wonko

#13 wisefa13

wisefa13
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Singapore

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:08 AM

Well, a "light" scan would mean look for all files (including "hidden" ones) that contain "ldr" in the filename.

A "hard" one would mean look for all files (including "hidden" ones), let's say between 128 and 350 Kb, with the string "grub" (case insensitive) inside them.

The "hardest" one would be to scan the whole disk, sector by sector for the same string.

You can use almost *any* file search tool for the first two, if there is no "malware" cause you will easily find the grub4dos related files.

For the last you will need some "dedicated" tool, but just do a test with the first two before.

Since you likely have NTFS volumes, for the first type of search one of the fast finding tools, some listed/linked to here:

would do nicely.

Wonko

So I just have to try light->hard->hardest scan and if I'm able to find the grub4dos, my com is "safe?"

#14 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15065 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:17 AM

So I just have to try light->hard->hardest scan and if I'm able to find the grub4dos, my com is "safe?"

Yep :), depending on the results, if you find it in a "logical" place, in "plain sight", etc. it is likely that you have it because some program (but actually you should know which programs you may have used/installed lately) uses or actually used it as part of it's functions, if you find it (say) renamed to something else in a hidden folder or (still say) in unallocated space, it may mean that it is used as part of something not really-really advised to have on your PC.

Wonko

#15 wisefa13

wisefa13
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Singapore

Posted 22 August 2015 - 01:00 PM

Yep :), depending on the results, if you find it in a "logical" place, in "plain sight", etc. it is likely that you have it because some program (but actually you should know which programs you may have used/installed lately) uses or actually used it as part of it's functions, if you find it (say) renamed to something else in a hidden folder or (still say) in unallocated space, it may mean that it is used as part of something not really-really advised to have on your PC.

Wonko

Ok I have extremely 0 knowledge regarding this search, so I used the "Search Computer" function that's at the top right of any place of your computer eg: My Documents.  To conduct two search that is by searching for the LDR  and the grub with size search, and I do not find any grub4dos.

Am I doing this wrong?

#16 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15065 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:06 PM

I don' t know if the Windows Search works for "system" or "hidden" files (most probably you have to set explorer to show them before), but of course you need to perform the search on "all fixed" devices (or on C:, D:, etc.), not just in "My Documents".

Wonko

#17 wisefa13

wisefa13
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Singapore

Posted 18 October 2015 - 10:37 AM

I did a "light scan" there's a lot of files when i search ldr,

most are like amd64_netfx-ldr64_exe... etc

and afew LDR64 at microsoftnet framework etc.

then I did a "hard scan" with grub and 100kb-1mb, nothing found

so am i safe?

#18 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15065 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 October 2015 - 01:49 PM

As hinted before, file attributes might make finding files this way complex (or provide no results even if the file exists), if you prefer built-in Windows Search is more or less a (not particularly funny) joke :w00t:, maybe you could use a third party tool (that has not the file attributes complication) and check your filesystem with it (I am presuming it is a NTFS volume), this would do nicely :thumbsup: I believe:

http://sourceforge.n...ts/swiftsearch/

Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users