sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:43 AM

i made a win7 x64that is lited to the maxxx

i have few troubles with the boot part .

by now i use a lzma file on the usb , i transfered the file to another stick of 4 Go formated with fat16 , grub find the boot partition on hd[0,3] but does not show the boot menu...

to boot quickly , i made a copy of the lzma file decompressed on the same boot drive as the one having the original vhd .

so this disk use the win7 boot meny , i select grub4dos , it loads the vhd in ram but i got the error c000000d few seconds after win7 boot in texy mode , that error is normally happening with windows update...

is it because i use twice the win7 menu ? 

here is the menu.lst

title Boot  Windows 7 x64 from Image 4629/5120 MB  491 MB free
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /bty.vhd
map --mem /bty.vhd (hd0)
map --hook
root (hd0,0)
chainloader  /bootmgr
boot

last thing is the idea i had that is close to the dynamic vhd but from the other side....

i mean that i shrinked to the maxxx my win7 x64 so now my vhd is having a size of 5Go  with files using 4629/5120 MB  so i have 491 MB free ....

i use it to do video capture....but i think that sometimes i would like to install others software for edition ..so comes the size trouble...

as grub4dos check the size of the vhd and consider it as a hdrive , there is the possibility to append a parameter about the size of drive  , in my case it would be 6 Go or 7 instead of the defined in the vhd 5 Go ...

#2 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:46 AM

for the 4Go stick : i ll try to use syslinux with grub.exe 

#3 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:08 AM

using syslinux , the loading of grub4dos is perfect and same goes with win7 .

here is the syslinux.cfg used with latest release:

default grub4dos

LABEL grub4dos
MENU LABEL Grub4dos
KERNEL /grub.exe

#4 tinybit

tinybit

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1158 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:41 AM

It sound to me like the problem was not related to grub4dos. It does not indicate any bugs in grub4dos. Maybe you did not properly setup your Win7?

#5 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:33 AM

i made a fat32 stick with 32 Go with a recent grub4dos : it boots well the lzma file

to speed up the loading i made a fat16 onto a 4 Go drive that consider its unique partition as the fourth aka grub4dos says hd[0,3] when he finds the file 

but it can not boot  or shows the boot menu

if i use syslinux to launch grub.exe then grub.exe says hd[0,3] and launch the menu.lst ...plus the win7 correctly ..

bug that is not in grub.exe , is in glrdr ..may be ?

what about a new setting for the memory size of drive in memory ? or may be a blank second partition if the format of drive is giving you some headache 

#6 tinybit

tinybit

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1158 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:18 PM

check carefully if there would be another hidden GRLDR on your hidden partition, which could be a modified version and not released by chenall.

If that is just the case, then you should use grub.exe to gain the grub4dos environment.

#7 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:13 AM

no it can not , i did a format of disk under windows , then used a usb stick that boots msdos7 to make it bootable .

that should be a firmware bug , i think grub4dos/grldr boots well when the usb stick has the partition 0 and bugs when its the last one and there are none except it .

may be you should ask few members to check with their usb sticks ?

#8 tinybit

tinybit

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1158 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:29 AM

GRUB.EXE works well while GRLDR fails. That seems to be impossible, especially for your case.

Consider the kernels of GRLDR and GRUB.EXE are the same. They cannot work differently.

I guess there must be something wrong with your configuration.

#9 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:25 AM

grub.exe works well  IF  launch it with syslinux .

if you know how i can launch grldr using syslinux OR launching grub.exe directly at boot , i would try .

like i said before , i think i had troubles with usb sticks having one partition after 3 others that are not existing .

by now all is fine for me with the win7 in ram i made ..

these days i will try with win10 so i ll check again how that turns with booting the usb using grub4dos ...

what about increasing disk size in ram , at boot , with a new parameter ?

#10 tinybit

tinybit

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1158 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:50 AM

You didn‘t tell how you launched your GRLDR.

Can you see the version number and build-date of your GRLDR on the top line of the screen? Is the GRLDR too OLD?

With syslinux, you can launch GRLDR. You may google for that. And sorry I cannot remember.

#11 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:22 AM

like i said in the post 7 :

i formatted under win , then booted in plain msdos 7 to make disk system ...of course i use latest grub4dos 

may be you are too tired or busy...try to take few days for regaining energy...or you will kill yourself by working too much ...

#12 tinybit

tinybit

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1158 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:37 PM

it seems you would not like to tell how your GRLDR get booted, nor the screen top line about the build version and date( in the case of GRLDR, not GRUB.EXE).

If those important info continue to be hidden, then I really get too tired and busy, and I would not continue to reply in this thread any more.

Otherwise, I might be tired-less and not busy at all.

used a usb stick that boots msdos7 to make it bootable

this description does not tell how it is bootable. Use what utility to make it bootable? How old is the utility? After running the utility, who will reside on the MBR? Is it grldr's MBR code?

Note that GRLDR.MBR is rather out-dated for USB boot. A reliable boot utility for GRLDR (in the case of USB boot) is the fbinst tool. I also made a new equivalent booter for the USB boot of GRLDR here:

http://reboot.pro/to...are-interested/

A big problem of the GRLDR.MBR is that it could load (an old) GRLDR in the internal harddisk partitions(which might be hidden); so your (new)GRLDR on the USB might have no chance to gain control.

#13 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:55 PM

step by step how i do :

get the latest grub4dos

extract the archive onto a usb stick dedicated to dos operation 

plug the two usb stick into the usb ports of the computer

then i use the .com utility of the grub4dos archive to make the second usb grub4dos system

using this command : bootlace.com  --no-backup-mbr --mbr-disable-floppy  0x82 , the computer having only one drive 

then i copy the grldr at the root of the second usb stick

after that i edit menu.lst and copy the vhd

this method works with some usb but not others that :

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /bty.vhd

shows hd[0,3] , the file being only on the usb , if hd[0,0] is shown then all goes well .

the screen shows nothing , only a black screen .

as i made the stick working with syslinux , i do not boot it again

may be the forum member that manage http://www.rmprepusb.com/, knows what i mean , he should have a lot of sticks ?

#14 tinybit

tinybit

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1158 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:14 AM

the screen shows nothing , only a black screen .

do you mean the grldr totally fails to boot up? It simply hangs? And you cannot come into the grub4dos environment (in this case)?

If that is just the case, then I consider it as an BIOS issue. I mean, it is your BIOS that just refuse to boot up when the MBR is grldr boot record and the only existing primary partition is partition number 3. Even the grldr might have no chance to gain control. It might be: the BIOS itself hangs up in this situation. it does not transfer control to the MBR. It hangs up before it tries to read the MBR.

as i made the stick working with syslinux , i do not boot it again

OK, no problem. You needn't redo that test, and you can ignore my questions above. You have already had a working syslinux+grub.exe configure now. That is good. And we can end this discussion now.

#15 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:25 AM

grldr starts to read the menu lst , it reads first line and find the file , then it gets stuck .

the bios causing troubles to grldr is in the usb , the stick came from the german shop aquatuning as a gift ....so it is a cheap model , as it works well and fat16 faster than any others...i still use it .

may be syslinux booting code can help you to improve grub4dos one ?

what about the size change at boot ? are you working on that addition ?

#16 tinybit

tinybit

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1158 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:14 AM

You remember grldr gained control? But I don't want to waste your time in doing further testing work.

Now that you have a successful configuration(with syslinux+grub.exe), I suggest we end this discussion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users