1 reply to this topic

#1 AnonVendetta

AnonVendetta

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Self-development, computing

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:35 PM

I would like to convert my Windows factory recovery discs, which consists of 2 DVDs, into a single bootable USB. I have tried formatting both USBs as either NTFS or FAT32, creating a single partition and marking it as bootable, then copying the contents of disc 1 then disc 2 (in that order) to the partition. No files from disc 2 overwrite the contents of disc 1, except autorun.inf, which I dont think matters for booting. Trying to boot the USB results in a blinking cursor on a black screen, booting from the discs works fine but it's just too slow. And discs are too prone to scratches, and yet another physical item I have to keep with we, as well as a USB DVD drive. The integrity of the ISOs the discs are burned from/copied from isnt in question, I've individually checksummed the files from the ISOs against the files on disc/USB, everything matched. And the ISOs themselves are checksummed, with a 2nd copy of each disc having been uploaded to Dropbox.

I've also tried mounting each ISO on my Zalman, I just get the blinking cursor. I've also tried mounting the ISOs in DriveDroid (Android app), connecting to PC via USB, but my BIOS either doesnt recognize it as bootable, or does see it as bootable but fails to actually boot it (same blinking cursor as before).

#2 AnonVendetta

AnonVendetta

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Self-development, computing

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:14 PM

A bit of progress: Since the USB needs to be booted in BIOS/MBR mode, I now remembered that boot-code needs to be written to the partition first. So I used bootsect.exe to write the code, and this time it booted, and almost reached the recovery screen, but then spit out some long, random 0x400.......(continued) error for which Google has no results. My guess is that it's still looking for a disc, and gives an error when it cant find it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users