Win10 stand alone

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:59 PM

As far as I understood right now, Win10 can be installed over a running OS replacing win7 or win8 (maybe depending on starter, ... enterprise).

Are there any informations, how to get the win10cd contents, and install without to "destroy" the running win7/8 system?

Peter

BTW: A patch to running XP to let upgrade to win10 would be an valuable hack!

#2 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 July 2015 - 04:08 PM

You register for the win 10 upgrade. You will have the option if you apply all the available standard windows updates on a supported os. On July 29th or slightly later you will be able to install the upgrade via windows update. You let it start the upgrade then before it asks to reboot copy the install.esd file from your boot drive. It will be in a well known ~..\sources folder. The install.esd contains everything to create a CD. I use esdtoiso to perform that step.

http://www.tenforums...0-esd-file.html

#3 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 July 2015 - 04:14 PM

You will only have a license to upgrade the current os. So you really have to let it complete the upgrade and then activate. From then onwards on that one PC you will be able to do clean installs of windows 10. The free upgrade is locked to the particular hardware on which you performed the upgrade. You may be able to tweak the hardware and maintain the upgrade license. Change too much and the activation will become invalid. If that happens you may be able to call the MS activation number and manually reactivate on new hardware.

#4 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:02 AM

To really answer the original question, yes, there is at least a little bit of information that real ISO images to install WILL be available, so with a proper license, I am (still) assuming that you could set up a dual boot (tripple?) situation.  The license is the tricky part (as mentioned above), since it is the activation and licensing that is tied to the single machines "fingerprint".

Maybe, if you cloned your existing Win7 (or 8.1) to a VHD, and ran it "virtually", you could do something else to bypass the intended licensing...

As for upgrading from XP, the issue would be more of any "in place" process would be a bit "iffy" at best, and since MS is basing all of the "activation" on the existing fingerprints it has tucked away on it's servers, it is unlikely that any sort of a "hack" can be implemented to get a "legit" copy...

Of course, I'm fairly certain that non-legit means will eventually exist...

Scott.

P.s.  Hope everyone is having a great summer!  :matrix:

#5 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:38 PM

Several weeks I didn't succeed in my efforts to upgrade 7 Ultimate to 10 Pro Preview. I can't remember the exact error, but it had something to do with the upgrade not being available in my region (the US, seriously?!). The Upgrade Assistant also seemed to imply that I would need to reinstall all programs/drivers, which is unacceptable, and, to me, defeats the point of an upgrade. Looking back, I'm glad it didn't go through, I had issues with 10 within a week of (clean) installing it, then going back to 7.

Activating Windows 10 will be a piece of cake. Just download an untouched Volume Licensing 10 Pro/Enterprise ISO, install it, then activate with a KMS activator like Microsoft Toolkit (not made by MS). This will only work with VL editions, not retail, and is perfectly safe, MS even allows KMS as a valid form of activation. I've checked MTK with various AVs, it always came up clean. And the best part is that no system files are modified at all, so no issues with installing Updates or having your activation status come up as being not Genuine. I've been doing this for years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users