113 replies to this topic

#101 john3voltas

john3voltas

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
    Portugal

Posted 30 March 2019 - 11:50 AM

I do not think u will be able to have even a view of the drive hosting the linux folder by default once in wubi linux.

BTW, that is completely innacurate.

I run Kubuntu from a wubiuefi install and I can easily access all data on the drive it is installed.

#102 antonino61

antonino61

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 377 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 March 2019 - 11:58 AM

ah wubiuefi, not wubi on mbr. Sorry, I do not have uefi, so I do not know about it. all the info I have provided u with referred to mbr only.

#103 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14778 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 March 2019 - 12:08 PM

Arch, Slackware, Suse, Red Hat: what do we do if we want to run Fedora, OpenSuse or Archlinux from a VHD file? That's what I've been looking for a very long time.

Cheers

Starting here are the instructions for Arch Linux:

http://reboot.pro/to...ow-to/?p=200203

WHAT is the problem?

:duff:

Wonko

#104 john3voltas

john3voltas

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
    Portugal

Posted 30 March 2019 - 01:41 PM

The problem?

Well, the problem is everything, Wonko.

I don't have the faintest idea on WHERE to start.

How can you run a cat /proc/cmdline without having booted the OS? So, if you have to boot the OS in order to run those commands, then you need to be able to boot the OS into the VHD file in the first place, or am I missing something here?

I can't boot the OS from another partition. I am simply not allowed because the computer is not mine. I could however boot it if I had it on a VHD file using G4D because I can chain G4D to Windows' own boot manager.

But this is looking like the story of the chicken and the egg. I gotta find a loophole otherwise I can't follow those instructions.

TIA

Cheers

#105 antonino61

antonino61

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 377 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 March 2019 - 01:54 PM

so, u mean that if i have a vhd running with bootmgr, I can replicate this scenario in ram and save it in order to run it again on ram anytime I wish?

#106 john3voltas

john3voltas

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
    Portugal

Posted 30 March 2019 - 02:03 PM

so, u mean that if i have a vhd running with bootmgr, I can replicate this scenario in ram and save it in order to run it again on ram anytime I wish?

Sorry but who are you addressing this question?

#107 antonino61

antonino61

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 377 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 March 2019 - 02:05 PM

sorry about it, wrong post. 

#108 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14778 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 March 2019 - 02:11 PM

The problem?

Well, the problem is everything, Wonko.

I don't have the faintest idea on WHERE to start.

How can you run a cat /proc/cmdline without having booted the OS? So, if you have to boot the OS in order to run those commands, then you need to be able to boot the OS into the VHD file in the first place, or am I missing something here?

I can't boot the OS from another partition. I am simply not allowed because the computer is not mine. I could however boot it if I had it on a VHD file using G4D because I can chain G4D to Windows' own boot manager.

But this is looking like the story of the chicken and the egg. I gotta find a loophole otherwise I can't follow those instructions.

TIA

Cheers

A few posts before the one I linked to.

http://reboot.pro/to...ow-to/?p=200156

You can use Virtualbox from windows just fine (instead of virtualbox in Linux) AFAICT.

You need anyway a Linux install to be able to run Linux only commands such as mkinitcpio.

Of course you need to read (and re-read and re-re-read) the whole thread and provided resources, then digest what you have read and put all the info on top of some (pre-existing) slightly-more-than-basic Linux knowledge/experience.

If you are thinking of an automated/automagic program there isn't any (that I know of).

Wonko 

#109 john3voltas

john3voltas

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
    Portugal

Posted 30 March 2019 - 02:43 PM

A few posts before the one I linked to.
http://reboot.pro/to...ow-to/?p=200156

Cryptic to say the least. All I can read on that post is the quote from crashnburn where he points out most of my own question, to be honest.
It seems as if everybody that talks about this subject can't take the time to write a post on it with details on what he/she did, and WHY he/she found the need to do that.

You need anyway a Linux install to be able to run Linux only commands such as mkinitcpio.

I can't understand what you mean with this sentence. You mean I need to find a way to run Linux from commands such as mkinitcpio?
If so, why? To accomplish what goal? Knowing why we do stuff really helps on understanding the whole picture and learning on the subjects.

Of course you need to read (and re-read and re-re-read) the whole thread and provided resources, then digest what you have read and put all the info on top of some (pre-existing) slightly-more-than-basic Linux knowledge/experience.

That doesn't seem to help.
I've read and re-read the whole thread 2 times and I've gone to re-read the posts you mentioned at least another 2 times.
I just can't understand them because they are based not on knowledge about Linux as a whole but on knowledge on how Linux boots up. Redoing initramfs images, kernel boot up options, etc.
And those posts are not specific. Those just mention parts of what needs to be done.
That makes it very difficult to go find resources on the Internet. We just don't know what we're looking for...

If you are thinking of an automated/automagic program there isn't any (that I know of).

No, I am not looking at some automatic/automagic such as wubi to help me out. Yes, it would be nice but it's not a requirement.
What I am looking for is for resources, details on why/how to do something in order to being able to boot Linux from a VHD or raw image from G4D.

#110 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14778 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 March 2019 - 05:42 PM

OK.

Basic-basic instructions.

Get Virtualbox running on your system.

Create a (static) .vhd or RAW image big enough to hold the size of the ArchLinux install.

Install the ArchLinux inside the virtualbox (normally), flat files.

Add to it the needed ntfs-3g package and parted.

Repeat with another image.

Connect to virtualbox the first image as primary disk and the actual physicaldrive containing the second image as secondary disk.

Restart from here:

http://reboot.pro/to...ow-to/?p=200203

Loosely the ideas are:

1) make sure that the system can read/access NTFS

2) make sure that loop mounting works (if it does on the first image, it should work on the second, which is identical, as well) and mount the second image

3) insert scripts for automounting of loop devices (these go on the second image, obviously)

4) rebuild the initramfs

5) verify that needed dependencies have been actually added to it

5 bis) (missing in the original) replace the initramfs in the second image with the one you rebuilt

6) create a grub4dos menu for  booting from the second image (and of course make it so that you can chainload grub4dos when booting the first image)

7) (missing in the original) test if it works, if it does the second image should be "self-standing" and you should be able to boot it from grub4dos on the "real" machine, using the same (or similar) menu.lst entry.

Wonko

#111 blackbalfur

blackbalfur

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 30 March 2019 - 06:50 PM

@ john3voltas are you allowed /able to boot from usb on that laptop?

Or is that part of not allowed to install a second disk.

If yes i can/may boot from usb, why you do not just use an external hd or ssd to boot windows from?

Or even linux from externall hd / ssd.

There would be no traces on the laptop (bootmanager) because the external hd / ssd would have its own bootmanager.

Edited by blackbalfur, 30 March 2019 - 06:59 PM.

#112 antonino61

antonino61

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 377 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:02 AM

no dice, blackbalfur, I tried everything I could to get rid of the full version of maxthon in favour of the portable one, which would not keep passwords to vital sites I have to visit everyday, though. It would have been a wonderful 2.8gb save off the vhd, if it had been feasible. 

#113 antonino61

antonino61

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 377 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:45 AM

sorry, wrong place for my post;

pls ignore it

#114 Vindieselwalker

Vindieselwalker
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 04 April 2019 - 09:55 PM

I have a disk image of an Ubuntu in a .vhd format and also in a .vhdx format and want to extract it onto a full Hard disk drive to put back in my laptop. I have tried using Paragon 15 as a means of doing a V2P extract and Ive tried using it to mount the virtual drive and copy the partitions but it continues to fail. Does anyone have any ideas as to what programs I could use to extract either format to a full HDD?Xvideos Xnxx Chaturbate

my issue has been solved!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: linux, windows, boot, vhd, image-file, howto

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users