#1 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:45 AM

Recently I have done a Compact install of Win10 Insider Preview last update to VHD's located on my internal HDD and on USB external HDD's using WinNTSetup 3.80RC3 and doing properly it works flawlessly: http://www.msfn.org/...p-v379-v38-rc3/

You can now apply in compact mode, if you start like this: "WinNTSetup_x64.exe NT6 -compact"

The easiest way to do it is create a direct access to the .exe and open it with right botton and in the first line just add:

" NT6 -compact" without quotes, look carefully  there is an space before NT6.

This is Microsoft info about Compact mode: https://msdn.microso...9(v=vs.85).aspx

This is the Win10 Pro X64 IP (Compact mode installed to VHD) when I open it using 7Zip v9.38Beta, it is a full install but all files and folders are compressed as you can see in the attachment, (NTFS is not compressed, just files and folders in it).

When you make Wimboot installs you need to have the install.wim in same disk machine (can be in another partition), because the install is only pointer files to the .wim, if you remove the .wim you can't boot this any more.

Well now in compact install you don't need the install.wim any more to boot the system (good for portable environments), my install to VHD in USB HDD is only 5.70 GB (before run it fist time) (31.32% smaller), and standard install to VHD is 8.3 GB

EDIT: install.wim has to be in same machine but it may be in diferent disk, as I cheked havig it in third partition internal HDD and booting from USB where pointer files from Wimboot install where located.

Attached Files

• Brito likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boot, install, win10, compact

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users