#1 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:53 AM

i recently decided to turn a computer to linux for video edition ...and also do reinstall of win7 x64 because i installed new cards having linux drivers and my vhd in ram is not "cool" any more .

but i keep it because it is nice for a cool defrag....so i downloaded the latest 4.5.c from chenal website and reused my lzma vhd with my menu lst...

but i always have error 25 with a link to chennal's web /e/25 that does not work....

i tested a lot of usb stick and even used grub.exe or win7 boot hard-drive....

my vhd booted again when i reused the old grub version i used last year a 4.6.a

here are the get source txt :

Get the source code of this build by using anonymous svn in this way:

svn co -r 371 http://grub4dos-chen...hes/yaya-0.4.6agrub4dos

and now you may "cd grub4dos" and do a "make" to compile.

for the latest :

Get the source code of this build in this way:

git clone git://github.com/chenall/grub4dos.git
    cd grub4dos
    git checkout 74f427a -b build

and now you may do a "make" to compile.

so that would be cool to say what compressors should be used and where to find them

thanks in advance

#2 tinybit

tinybit

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1126 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:52 PM

Can you give the build date of your latest version? Note that the latest is 2015-05-18.

#3 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 23 May 2015 - 06:36 AM

i used grub4dos-0.4.5c-2015-05-15.7z

the lzma i used was the first 9.20 beta published at 7zip website

it was at this link : http://www.7-zip.org/sdk.html

there is a recent 9.38 release of the lzma sdk , may be i should use it with nowadays and after release

is there some others compressors that are supported ?

#4 tinybit

tinybit

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1126 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 23 May 2015 - 12:26 PM

2015-05-15 has a bug and it causes disk access failure. Upgrade to 2015-05-18, and everything will be fine.

#5 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:46 PM

thank you for explanation , i am asking again about compressors because the http://www.7-zip.org/sdk.htmlno longer has the beta sdk that has the lzma.exe that makes compatible files for grub4dos .

i can upload it [ if you did not changed it recently ] , of course i hope you will use 9.38 soon .

#6 tinybit

tinybit

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1126 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:11 AM

Download 900 KB 2015-01-03 9.38 beta LZMA SDK (C, C++, C#, Java) (with binaries for Windows)

I just downloaded it, and found a lzma.exe is included in its "bin" directory. And this lzma.exe can create lzma files compatible with grub4dos.

I tested with this command:

lzma.exe   e   256.img   256.img.lzma

The 256.img is 128K, and the generated 256.img.lzma is 7K. No problem.

#7 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:02 AM

nice thing you checked and did a test , with old sdk others lzma.exe were making imcompatible files for grub4dos .

yesterday i made a lzma of a 10 go vhd having win7 x64 , it took an hour with the intel 3820 , only using two cores and 100 mo of ram .

i will test it and make a new vhd , i ll see if there is a trouble or not .

#8 tinybit

tinybit

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1126 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:40 AM

How is it incompatible with grub4dos? Any details?

#9 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:44 PM

i made few things with lzma and grub4dos 4.5c and 4.6a .

first is that i used lzma beta 9.2 and beta 9.38 on the same vhd , they both made the same size file using same time .

multithreading still not really working with 9.38 .

i tested latests grub4dos with old vhd and had the same bug about boot not possible ..

beside that i also do boots from the usb with old vhd and the 2014 g4d 4.6a and no problemo...

as i use a vhd based on backup made with disk2vhd from sysinternals...after all these all-times fails [ or not but the os use the physical hd...as c and not the vhd...] i restarted to create an install and made a vhd during win setup .

so i ll do some test that should not bug because of scsi-hd that was used for install, it reminds xp and older nt4 with this , nothing change with ms....

i ll tell how that run

#10 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:05 AM

so i tested my new vhd lzma compressed with latest 4.5c and 4.6a , plus my old 4.6a .

i have all time the error 60 ou 61 despite the files are in one packet . may be you should create an option for that setting [ mostly because of ssd ] to disable the check .

i do not think the error is coming for that but from the size of the lzma ; if i have an old one and the new one on a usb stick well defragmented , only the little one does not make the error 60 or 61 at boot 

08/24/2014  02:05 PM     1,772,698,902 wint2.lzma
06/06/2015  02:13 PM     2,891,037,486 bcktv7.lzma
may be limit is around 2go / is it ?
because i used auslogic , piriform defrag tool plus wincontig...
may be you could also create some new usb settings [ beside the check of fragments ] like usb / usb2 and usb3 corresponding to the speed of the usb port and also helping to bypass the use of search the file before mapping it .
with usb the partition can be the first or the last ...so i use search to prevent problem , but if i have the file on a hd then selection can be bad ...and hard drive are always having spaces so the error 60/61 is common...

i ll try to make a usb disk with ntfs and file in one piece of 10 go today

#11 karyonix

karyonix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 472 posts
  •  
    Thailand

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:14 AM

as i use a vhd based on backup made with disk2vhd from sysinternals...after all these all-times fails [ or not but the os use the physical hd...as c and not the vhd...]

disk2vhd creates dynamic vhd which cannot be used to boot with grub4dos.
You have to use fixed VHD or raw disk image and change MBR signature (to be different from original disk) and update MountedDevices registry in disk image and also BCD in case of Windows Vista or later.

so i tested my new vhd lzma compressed with latest 4.5c and 4.6a , plus my old 4.6a .
i have all time the error 60 ou 61 despite the files are in one packet . may be you should create an option for that setting [ mostly because of ssd ] to disable the check .
i do not think the error is coming for that but from the size of the lzma ; if i have an old one and the new one on a usb stick well defragmented , only the little one does not make the error 60 or 61 at boot

Compressed files are not supposed to be mapped without --mem.
map --mem doesn't require file to be contiguous.

There is no point in try to boot with lzma when your disk image cannot boot even before compression.

Your description of what you did and what happen also lack details.
You should include how you manipulate your disk image, what grub4dos commands and parameters are used.

#12 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:01 PM

this forum has some shit reload of page before post is wrote...i hate that

so i found that disk2vhd does not work because the BCD has not the right guid in it
i made a 10go file on a 16 go usb stick that was loaded by a pc having an ati 5500 [ it crashed that is like that i discovered the bug was in the BCD ] [ I TRIED TO REPAIR WITH BCDEDIT AND OTHERS TOOLS BUT NO LUCK ]
beside that i tested the stick with a x79 sabertooth that has 3 x gtx570 and 32 Go of ram...the pc powered down at around 2 Go copied in ram 

i think grub4dos had overwritten some system memory reserved for windows like the one on the picture of the ati

ati_grub4dos_10_Go_16_Go.jpg

may be you can do some test using this beast from gigabyte ..lol
LD0001777309_1.jpg

i finally made a 'all in 5 go' vhd that works well , i found how the kill the winsxs and few others big folders of the installed windows 7 . i ll check this again with others pc , one is having two ati and 48 Go of ram 

Edited by sixcentgeorge, 08 June 2015 - 07:07 PM.

#13 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:02 PM

i have read that  dynamic vhd is added to latest grub 4.6a

it also support lz4 compression , after reading source code , it looks like grub4dos handles lzma , gzip , lz4 .

with a 6.5 go vhd , the lzma is 1.7go , gzip is around 2go and the lz4 2.5go...

may be lz4 will the open way of realtime vhd compressed 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users