3 replies to this topic

#1 congminh1709

congminh1709
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:01 PM

When I was booting the flash USB or external USB HDD on some devices with Grub4Dos, the speed was very slow (equivalent to USB 1.x speed). I tried to use USB driver on Easy2Boot (select from the boot menu with both GRUB_USB_046.mnu and ZGRUB_USB_046.mnu) but the problem could not be solved. Is there any solution for this? Thanks.

#2 larioteo

larioteo

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:46 PM

I use the Plop Bootmanager for this Problem (only for older devices).

https://www.plop.at/...otmanagers.html

Syslinux -> Plop -> Syslinux -> GRUB

Syslinux is the default bootloader on my USB, when i need a custom USB EHCI driver (older BIOSes) i load a preconfigured Plop Image that installs the driver on the System and boots again back the USB itself. After that I am loading over GRUB the BootManager from Microsoft and than the PE itself.

Sounds complicated, and it is complicated, but works on the most of the old hardware.

#3 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:03 PM

Plop may detect the USB drive when the grub4dos USB driver does not.

However, Plop is a read-only USB 2.0 driver and so does not work with E2B (or any function where grub4dos writes to the USB drive such as a default file, etc.).

Your description of 'the problem could not be solved' does not really help in knowing what the problem could be with the grub4dos driver...

Did it detect any USB devices? If not, then report the  system details, including PCI IDs (use the E2B - Utilities menu to list the PCI IDs).

#4 larioteo

larioteo

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:35 PM

Sorry, I rarely understood what you want.

I don't use grub4dos to write anything on the USB drive, neither these E2B Utilities you mentioned. I only call grub4dos over syslinux to load the BootMGR from Microsoft, with a preconfigured configurations, thats all. The loading of the WIM-Image works on older machines as described.

I testet it on many different machines the Plop driver stays in RAM during GRUB boot. So it is faster on older machines which BIOSes has no EHCI driver support. I am not so good at RAW hardware knowledge as you are, so I am sure no help for you.

I thought you want a solution to boot an image faster... as i see now you want a solution for writing issues, really sorry.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users